Tottenham V NUFC - COC 17 Dec - Block 34 (unofficial)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if it isn't officially an 1882 game, if enough of us are in the same blocks then we can make a decent atmosphere and enjoy it. The idea of the movement seems to be about improving the atmosphere so if we can do it durring a non-1882 match then that will show the idea behind it is working
Exactly right , 5 years or so ago there was no 1882 and the atmosphere was good so why can't we still have a good sing during league games at home?

Is everybody on a wind up here? Two points;

1) I have been to a few games this season that 1882 have attended and the atmosphere has been shocking. Just a handful of people singing songs that are cringe.

2) When the corner of the Shelf & Park Lane are in full voice that's what you call an atmospheric ground, not twenty chaps from 1882 yelling. I'm not having a go - you all enjoy yourself - and that's really all that matters at football.

But don't be arrogant enough to believe you give the ground a new lease of life and make away fans sit in awe of us. You really don't. 1882 were at the Brighton match, which was an alright atmosphere, but the songs coming from the Shelf/Park corner carried around the ground. 1882's nine renditions of Oh When The Spurs didn't.

The main question seems to be why has the atmosphere vanished at WHL?
-Probably because we're doing shocking on the pitch, three years ago we had a chance to make a brilliant team and since we've gone down hill. Brought players, staff and managers who aren't Tottenham. There's no passion from the club or players. Why would there be passion from the fans? Who feel let down at the fact you pay £48, to be forced to sit down, whilst watching your team limp along to lose 3-0 to Liverpool?

1) I have been to a few games this season that 1882 have attended and the atmosphere has been shocking. Just a handful of people singing songs that are cringe.

2) When the corner of the Shelf & Park Lane are in full voice that's what you call an atmospheric ground, not twenty chaps from 1882 yelling. I'm not having a go - you all enjoy yourself - and that's really all that matters at football.

But don't be arrogant enough to believe you give the ground a new lease of life and make away fans sit in awe of us. You really don't. 1882 were at the Brighton match, which was an alright atmosphere, but the songs coming from the Shelf/Park corner carried around the ground. 1882's nine renditions of Oh When The Spurs didn't.

-Probably because we're doing shocking on the pitch, three years ago we had a chance to make a brilliant team and since we've gone down hill. Brought players, staff and managers who aren't Tottenham. There's no passion from the club or players. Why would there be passion from the fans? Who feel let down at the fact you pay £48, to be forced to sit down, whilst watching your team limp along to lose 3-0 to Liverpool?

I'll get the can opener... you bring the worms!!

I think our own Club's obsession with 'breaking 'Murrica' and The Premiership's obsession with making us a Global Brand and a stop on the Tourist trail are two contributory factors in what you're talking about...
also, I'd wager that most (if not all) of the fans in attendance at WHL on a matchday haven't walked directly from their home to the ground, and I'm sure a large amount would have travelled more than 5-10 miles away speaks volumes!
and despite the 5 minute montage they occasionally put up on the Jumbotron at half-time about the latest community project that Ledley's been to,there's no real local community spirit about the club any more...
I'm not saying that we insist Lamela gets on the 123 bus to the ground from Walthamstow, sitting alongside the fans, but you know what I mean!

Last edited:

I think you are over analysing it here mate. It was fun, so I will do it again, end of story. I am not trying to save football from the 21st Century.

No we definitely were, 10 years ago tomorrow I was at the lane for Charlton 3 Tottenham 2, and the atmpsphere was better than most wins now, as there was no expectancy then, we had come off 7/8 years of misery so anything was a bonus. It was great, no social media hyping it all up and unrealistic mother fuckers in the crowd.
Was that the one where we were 3-0 down, and very nearly got the draw? If so I was at that, and the crowd was great as you say. if it wasn't just ignore me like the don't know my history, plastic, that I clearly am.

Last edited:
Was that the one where were 3-0 down, and very nearly got the draw? If so I was at that, and the crowd was great as you say. if it wasn't just ignore me like the don't know my history, plastic, that I clearly am.

No that was it totally right, was in my usual seat in paxton with the sun in my eyes, Robbo was taking free kicks from the halfway line pumping the ball into the box to the 3 strikers, I miss keano you know

No that was it totally right, was in my usual seat in paxton with the sun in my eyes, Robbo was taking free kicks from the halfway line pumping the ball into the box to the 3 strikers, I miss keano you know

Imagine the atmosphere now if we were 3-0 down to Charlton at home? (or the equivalent):memelol:

Lets not put the rose tinters on too much, I have been at more games than i care to remember during the 90's where the crowd was booing and jeering players during the game and arguements used to start constantly during the Gross, Francis and later part of George Graham's tenure, i also remember the lane having a posionous atmosphere during the Venables and Sugar era and i cant forget the racist little fucker at peterborough away in the FA cup who was calling Ardlies all kinds of names.......the 90s, apart from the 91 cup run was a miserable time to be a Spurs fan, only the 99 league cup final stopped it being any worse.....

Lets not put the rose tinters on too much, I have been at more games than i care to remember during the 90's where the crowd was booing and jeering players during the game and arguements used to start constantly during the Gross, Francis and later part of George Graham's tenure, i also remember the lane having a posionous atmosphere during the Venables and Sugar era and i cant forget the racist little fucker at peterborough away in the FA cup who was calling Ardlies all kinds of names.......the 90s, apart from the 91 cup run was a miserable time to be a Spurs fan, only the 99 league cup final stopped it being any worse.....
Fucking hell BOS, you're the common denominator. Don't come again.

Only kidding mate, but we got through that. The game Mensa was on about, was 2003 or 04 IIRC, and it had picked up a lot by then.

I remember Paul Stewart running to the then empty (due to those building works) corner of the East Stand and 'celebrating' a goal with no one 'cos of the dogs abuse he used to get...
I also remember a (maybe Chris Armstrong, or was it Colin Calderwood??) consolation goal being booed rather than cheered, 'cos we were 3-0... sorry 3-1 down to Liverpool!

Ahhhh, heady halcyon days!

200.gif

I have chosen to try and block out most of the 90's. I remember getting spanked by villa 5-2 at the lane and also 3-0 by Boro. Dark, dark days

Same as when people say about the atmosphere being great when Harry was in charge, apart from a handful of games it was as bad then as it is now. You only need to go back to some of the earliest threads on this forum and you'll find people moaning about the lack of atmosphere as that time.

To be honest even under Jol I can remember plenty of games where the ground was a bit of a morgue.

I also remember us losing at home to a really poor Sheff Wed side 1-0, during Grahams reign. I was in the park lane and recall thinking that if the boos from the shelf were cheers we would literally melt the opposition.....

I see that according to twitter that Newcastle have sold 6000 tickets for this game and have requested another 2000, no chance of the 1882 getting tickets for this game then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom