Tottenham Hotstats

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So, the guys at Statsbomb cooked up a new way to measure the contribution of non-strikers/attacking midfielders. It's really neat, and also highlights the variety of our attack:
Introducing xGChain

Someone took a look at the PL's goalkeepers, and who's good and who isn't:
Chelsea, Tottenham, Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd & Woolwich 'keepers ranked

And James Yorke took a look at Wenger mis-using Ozil:
Is there a hole in Mesut Özil?
Honestly I tried but what do you do when your faced with a paragraph like below

"I intend in this article to squeeze one last drop of juice from the desiccated lemon that is expected goals. xG has always served strikers well. xA takes a step back and helps credit creative players that make key passes. But what of the humble pre-assist? And indeed the pre-pre-pre-assist? Do they not"
EuPGzlDh.gif

"I intend in this article to squeeze one last drop of juice from the desiccated lemon that is expected goals. xG has always served strikers well. xA takes a step back and helps credit creative players that make key passes. But what of the humble pre-assist? And indeed the pre-pre-pre-assist? Do they not"
EuPGzlDh.gif
Keep going, the pay off is rather worth it. Basically, it asks the question, what how can we measure the early part of an attacking move? The shot is the end of the move, and an assist in only one step back from that. But how can you measure the guys who start the possession chain or keep it going?

It's an attempt to answer all the mouth-breathing idiots who used to ask what the fuck Modric did since he didn't score goals.

Keep going, the pay off is rather worth it. Basically, it asks the question, what how can we measure the early part of an attacking move? The shot is the end of the move, and an assist in only one step back from that. But how can you measure the guys who start the possession chain or keep it going?

It's an attempt to answer all the mouth-breathing idiots who used to ask what the fuck Modric did since he didn't score goals.
I like it. The more aspects of the game that can be measured by stats the better.

Oh please no. Enough people misunderstand the game already.
I don't care about how we understand the game, I'm thinking about scouting departments at European clubs. Look at baseball. In the old days, the richest teams dominated, there was no contest. The Yankees picked up 41 American League titles in just 80 years. Then stats came along, and all of a sudden smaller teams became capable of competing. The Seattle Mariners, the USA equivalent of West Brom, set the record for most wins in a season. The Oakland A's, the USA equivalent of Everton, set the record for most wins in a row. The Yankees, meanwhile, have not won the AL in 8 years, the second-longest drought in their entire history. This is thanks to stats allowing poorer teams to identify future stars and gamble on their future success.

Advanced stats allows clubs with less money to out-maneuver their richer rivals. They're the kind of thing that let Spurs get to Toby before the richest clubs understood how talented he is, that convinced Spurs to hang on to Kane, etc. More stats=more parity. Long Live stats.

I don't care about how we understand the game, I'm thinking about scouting departments at European clubs. Look at baseball. In the old days, the richest teams dominated, there was no contest. The Yankees picked up 41 American League titles in just 80 years. Then stats came along, and all of a sudden smaller teams became capable of competing. The Seattle Mariners, the USA equivalent of West Brom, set the record for most wins in a season. The Oakland A's, the USA equivalent of Everton, set the record for most wins in a row. The Yankees, meanwhile, have not won the AL in 8 years, the second-longest drought in their entire history. This is thanks to stats allowing poorer teams to identify future stars and gamble on their future success.

Advanced stats allows clubs with less money to out-maneuver their richer rivals. They're the kind of thing that let Spurs get to Toby before the richest clubs understood how talented he is, that convinced Spurs to hang on to Kane, etc. More stats=more parity. Long Live stats.

I dont see what baseball has to do with anything. No set of stats predicted Spurs rise to 2nd, indeed Juice's stats said we were worse than last season. I respectfully suggest that most stats are bollocks.

Baseball isn't comparable to Football as the sports are so different. Baseball is much like cricket, an individual team sport based around specific moments to score point, runs etc which come routinely at each ball of the over, or pitch at bat.

Football is a far more nuanced, intuitive game where much of the genius cannot be quantified statistically.

An example that comes to my head is something like this...

tumblr_mrzub17Qxa1qe9lszo1_400.gif

The cross is counted as an assist despite being a poor one, the goal is completely due to the genius and bravery of Zidane. First to think of that volley, secondly to have the bollocks to attempt with his weaker foot, thirdly the importance of the game (CL Final), then the technical execution.

Those things can't be quantified in statistics.

Stats have their place, no doubt about that, but they will always be secondary to actually watching and assessing.

Football is played on grass, not paper.

United Stats of America ?
Lol, exactly. We love numbers, numbers love us. All our sports are based on them, we have spent 150 years quantifying every aspect of our sports. Try to watch a baseball or basketball game sometime, the commentators will bust out some wacky stat like "He is batting .321 against left-handed pitchers against American League teams on weekdays, this means that the manager needs to make a pitching change"

Baseball isn't comparable to Football as the sports are so different. Baseball is much like cricket, an individual team sport based around specific moments to score point, runs etc which come routinely at each ball of the over, or pitch at bat.

Football is a far more nuanced, intuitive game where much of the genius cannot be quantified statistically.

The cross is counted as an assist despite being a poor one, the goal is completely due to the genius and bravery of Zidane. First to think of that volley, secondly to have the bollocks to attempt with his weaker foot, thirdly the importance of the game (CL Final), then the technical execution.

Stats have their place, no doubt about that, but they will always be secondary to actually watching and assessing.

Maybe. I just have a hard time believing that any aspect of sport can't be quantified. if we don't have a stat for it yet, we will have one eventually. People used to think that baseball was a very intuitive game too. So much of the game, from the perspective of someone who played it for 16 years, is based on random moments of genius, bravery, intuition. But the math guys found a way to quantify all that stuff, and here we are.

Lol, exactly. We love numbers, numbers love us. All our sports are based on them, we have spent 150 years quantifying every aspect of our sports. Try to watch a baseball or basketball game sometime, the commentators will bust out some wacky stat like "He is batting .321 against left-handed pitchers against American League teams on weekdays, this means that the manager needs to make a pitching change"

Maybe. I just have a hard time believing that any aspect of sport can't be quantified. if we don't have a stat for it yet, we will have one eventually. People used to think that baseball was a very intuitive game too. So much of the game, from the perspective of someone who played it for 16 years, is based on random moments of genius, bravery, intuition. But the math guys found a way to quantify all that stuff, and here we are.
I used to watch Baseball quite a bit when it was on late at night over here on a freebie channel 5. Some of the stuff brought up is like alphabetic binary. RAW, OBP, RBI, ERA...everything has one. Takes quite a while to get your head round it all.

In all honesty, I hope football never gets like that.

Dumb cunts who are in their late 30s, single and never leave their basement

Sounds like bow tie lock lock to me.

footie should be a mix of the qualitative as well as the quantitative. Would you award an assist to T Carroll for the pass to Bale for the last minute winner at Upton Park? I wouldn't. Or I'd give it 2/3 out of 10. Seems daft to equate with the Lamela assist for Eriksens winner at Citeh last season. I'd give that 8 out of 10. He won the ball, got the return, made a 30 yard run and slipped it to CE in a scoring position.

Is this the right place for this?

file:///Users/Chris/Downloads/deloitte-uk-sport-football-money-league-2017.pdf

Edit - the link above is the top 20 table; this is the full report:

Deloitte Football Money League | Deloitte UK

We're 6th in England; 12th worldwide.

Much to be positive about with bigger match day revenues around the corner and a conveyor belt of young talent coming through the academy, oh, and a young team that if they stay together can get a lot better through experience.

Last edited:
To me football is primarily about poetry, intensity, beauty and style.

I like stats because they help killing some time while at work and give "another" point of view to the game, but to me they are light years below all the factors mentioned above

Whatever we try to measure, for example assists, there aren't two assists that are exactly the same, in the same game and under the same conditions. Same with goals, prevalent quare metres areas of the pitch covered by a single players, predominant zodiac sign of the top 3 key passers in the first quarter of a season, etc.... Still stats can be good fun, as a by-product of the beauty of the game, but nothing more to me

Much to be positive about with bigger match day revenues around the corner and a conveyor belt of young talent coming through the academy, oh, and a young team that if they stay together can get a lot better through experience.
Tottenham Hotspur are the "largest" English owned football club in the World!

footie should be a mix of the qualitative as well as the quantitative. Would you award an assist to T Carroll for the pass to Bale for the last minute winner at Upton Park? I wouldn't. Or I'd give it 2/3 out of 10. Seems daft to equate with the Lamela assist for Eriksens winner at Citeh last season. I'd give that 8 out of 10. He won the ball, got the return, made a 30 yard run and slipped it to CE in a scoring position.
And what you describe is almost exactly what the Expected Assist (or "xA") stat that the Statsbomb website uses is trying to achieve. It's looking not at how many actual assists a player makes, because as you point out, not all assists are equal. And of course, many great passes end up not resulting in goals when a striker makes a poor shot or a keeper makes a great save - but those great passes get completely ignored by the conventional assist stat.

xA (or xA per 90 minutes) is a way of looking at the overall quality of a player's creative play, so that when e.g. we want to compare whether Eriksen or Ozil is the more creative player, we can compare only their individual contributions and exclude the factors that are outside their control. Which is very, very important in player scouting!

And this is based on 2015-16 accounts, so it's before the new domestic and chinese tv deals (should add about an extra 100 million for each team iirc).

1. United (689)
2. Barca (620)
3. Real Madrid (620)
4. Bayern (592)
5. City (524)
6. PSG (520)
7. Woolwich (468)
8. Chelsea (447)
9. Liverpool (403)
10. Juve (341)
11. Dortmund (283)
12. Spurs (279)

Spurs will almost certainly be richer than Juventus by next season. Meanwhile, Woolwich, Chelsea, and Liverpool will all have spending power comparable to PSG.....madness.

Back
Top Bottom