Tottenham Hotstats

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There are plenty of measures of expected points or performance relative to bookies expectations. The bookies think we're finishing 6th.

Based on measures of chance quality, we're one of the 5 strongest teams. We have been lucky thus far in terms of how well our goalies have done, but at the same time, we have not been lucky on finishing our own chances (echoing a pattern of last year). We've also never been able to enjoy a full, healthy squad.

I think we're going to be in the mix, but I also think it's going to be really, really damn close this year at the top.

Klopp has been in charge for 38 games, here how he has done against other teams over the same period. This looks nice.
CvCmXw6XEAA2-Qd.jpg

Tottenham's season takes a spooky turn
Tottenham Hotspur have played eight Premier League matches so far this season with, freakily, the results matching exactly what they achieved in the last campaign. They have beaten Manchester City, Sunderland and Crystal Palace at home – just as they did last season – and drawn at home to Liverpool and away to Everton and West Bromwich Albion as well as beating Stoke City away. The first promoted team they faced last season were Bournemouth, who they beat away – just as the first promoted team they faced this season was Middlesbrough who they also beat away. Their next league opponents are Bournemouth again.

Tottenham's season takes a spooky turn
Tottenham Hotspur have played eight Premier League matches so far this season with, freakily, the results matching exactly what they achieved in the last campaign. They have beaten Manchester City, Sunderland and Crystal Palace at home – just as they did last season – and drawn at home to Liverpool and away to Everton and West Bromwich Albion as well as beating Stoke City away. The first promoted team they faced last season were Bournemouth, who they beat away – just as the first promoted team they faced this season was Middlesbrough who they also beat away. Their next league opponents are Bournemouth again.
Realistically, our only likely improvements were against the newly resurgent Toffees (now properly coached), our mirror-opposites (and Mirror-favoured) in Liverpool, and getting a fair rub of the green against Pulis-ball (which like our home match last year, didn't happen).

Not a lot of room for possible improvement, so I dunno if we should take this as spooky, or what should have been the expectation.

Hoping we are talking about percentages, if so, I'd go for Bale or Ronaldo I guess around the 15-20% mark. (Having said that I hope it's not someone who has only had one header and scored from it).
It isn't. And both Bale and Ronaldo are among the contenders (but not the winner).

A couple of good images of the state of things right now, offensively:

Defensively, we've been really good, but also rather lucky. Our keepers have saved our bacon a few times too many this season for me to be entirely comfortable.

As it stands, we're in the top-4 fight with a chance, but no more than that. To be title contenders, we need to make the next step.

A couple of good images of the state of things right now, offensively:

Defensively, we've been really good, but also rather lucky. Our keepers have saved our bacon a few times too many this season for me to be entirely comfortable.

As it stands, we're in the top-4 fight with a chance, but no more than that. To be title contenders, we need to make the next step.

What about the opposing keepers saving their own teams bacon ?
Lloris is world Class but that's his job, wonder how many times he was mom ?

What about the opposing keepers saving their own teams bacon ?
Lloris is world Class but that's his job, wonder how many times he was mom ?
MOTM is irrelevant. The only question is how likely or repeatable is what we're doing. Right now, our keepers are saving shots at a rate that is generally described as unlikely to continue. Opposing teams right now convert their shots against us at about 4%. The normal range is 9-10%. While it is possible that we're defensively so good that we're doing stuff that would bring that down, measures based on the quality of chances we concede would point to us having conceded at least another 3 goals. You're not likely to run 50% better than the underlying quality of chances over the long term. Yes, Leicester did last year, but there's a reason they were 5000-1 longshots, and are currently mid-table.

Back
Top Bottom