Tottenham Hotspur v Newcastle United

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

seen some pics on twitter of newcastle fans waiting outside the ground 20 minutes after kick off trying to get in, what was up?

We got in Park Lane at 7:35, ten mins before kick off and it looked like all 4,000 were tryin to get in then as well. Don't think anything went wrong per se, just a ton of people all trying to get in at the same time through the few turnstiles that are there

Due to my unyielding hatred of Liverpool I can not begin to express my desire for us to beat them in the final.

I should add that I am taking nothing for granted but that is my hope.

can i ask how everyone feels about the 'we hate Woolwich...we are the Woolwich haters' chant being punted around now? never used to hear it but i hear it all the time now.

So pleased we sent the Geordie's back with their tails between their legs

fair play that two wins at WHL on the bounce had made them confident and so take a huge allocation for a midweek game......but some of them were still being right dicks on the High Road before KO

can i ask how everyone feels about the 'we hate Woolwich...we are the Woolwich haters' chant being punted around now? never used to hear it but i hear it all the time now.

It has been sung for a long old time, as long as I have been going which is almost 30 years. It does exactly what it says on the tin.

I'd like to start by saying nice to meet you Spurs1882DW Spurs1882DW - and apologies I didn't make it in time for a pre-game beer. That walk from Seven Sisters seems to get longer every fucking time!!

Onto the game, and what a game, what a performance. Best we've probably seen under Poch, maybe the Everton the game the exception against much harder opponents.

I think the biggest compliment I could pay the boys is that they breezed it. Sure, they worked hard, but they got what they deserved and in the end made it look very easy.

Oh what a trophy would do for this club and the identity of this squad. It would also buy Poch another 18/24 months no doubt to do his thing. Sheffield United should be straight forward. We shall see.

Great atmosphere, singing throughout from both sets of fans. A lot of 'banter' going both ways, was right in the corner of the Shelf next to Park Lane so couldn't tell if Paxton or West were awake or not due to the noise but I hope so. Superb night under the lights at WHL.

In terms of players, it was only really Townsend and Vlad that were below par for me, and that was with regards to being on the ball - both were good off it.

Vorm was solid. Not a great deal to do but dealt with what was thrown at him.
Rose had an excellent night. Up and down, good pressing and tackling, and put in a couple of beautiful crosses.
Verts and Faz are looking like the partnership we need at the back. They compliment each other well. Faz really took control and read the game well. Dare I say, comparable to the successful CB pairing at Woolwich with Koscielny and Mertesacker - one faster and more agile, the other taller, better at reading the game, controlling the defence.
Vlad played some strange passes to nobody. Slightly frustrating but nevertheless solid defensively.
Stambouli - I'm liking him the more I see him. Brought a much better balance to the midfield when he came on against Swansea, and thought the same tonight. A very tidy player, keeps things simple, breaks up play. Could be our new Scotty Parker.
Bentaleb was exceptional in possession. If this kid was at Woolwich/City/United/Liverpool the media would be having an orgy over his ability. His goal aside (which was a great finish) he was one of the best players on the pitch, plays with such maturity and keeps it simple. The boy can pick a pass when he needs to though.
Townsend was...well...Townsend. I don't know what more to say. The kid needs some serious coaching to get the best from his ability, because he clearly doesn't have a clue himself! One positive - he does always run towards the opposition goal which is refreshing, after the static display on Sunday. His run across Kane when he just missed was fucking bizarre, and sums his brains up for me.
Eriksen in behind Kane was superb, such great control and vision, and very calm in possession. Just a different class in our team. He would have been superb in the Modric/VDV/Bale/Berba days with players like that around him. First name on the team sheet for me with Hugo.
Chadli played well. Some good runs, good crosses, worked hard, and another goal. Should definitely be on the left, not the right (where Poch brought him on on Sunday).
Kane worked his bollocks off again, and another goal. I heard a stat last night - including England U-21's, he has 19 goals in 26 games this season. If that were Sturridge or Rooney, you wouldn't hear the fucking end of it in the papers. The boy has a certain class about him. A real, genuine goalscorer. Oh how we've missed one of them the past couple years.

Delighted to see Bobby come on and get a goal, despite him almost fucking it up! I think that him coming off the bench will be a common pattern now though - can't see him warranting a starting place when we play like that.

Well worth the journey down. On the train home now after a long week, trip to Swansea, to The Lane - now back to Devon. 2 wins. Couldn't ask for more than that.

I'm a lucky omen boys. Who wants to start a season ticket fund for me? :holtbytongue:

I'd like to start by saying nice to meet you Spurs1882DW Spurs1882DW - and apologies I didn't make it in time for a pre-game beer. That walk from Seven Sisters seems to get longer every fucking time!!

Onto the game, and what a game, what a performance. Best we've probably seen under Poch, maybe the Everton the game the exception against much harder opponents.

I think the biggest compliment I could pay the boys is that they breezed it. Sure, they worked hard, but they got what they deserved and in the end made it look very easy.

Oh what a trophy would do for this club and the identity of this squad. It would also buy Poch another 18/24 months no doubt to do his thing. Sheffield United should be straight forward. We shall see.

Great atmosphere, singing throughout from both sets of fans. A lot of 'banter' going both ways, was right in the corner of the Shelf next to Park Lane so couldn't tell if Paxton or West were awake or not due to the noise but I hope so. Superb night under the lights at WHL.

In terms of players, it was only really Townsend and Vlad that were below par for me, and that was with regards to being on the ball - both were good off it.

Rose had an excellent night. Up and down, good pressing and tackling, and put in a couple of beautiful crosses.
Verts and Faz are looking like the partnership we need at the back. They compliment each other well. Faz really took control and read the game well. Dare I say, comparable to the successful CB pairing at Woolwich with Koscielny and Mertesacker - one faster and more agile, the other taller, better at reading the game, controlling the defence.
Vlad played some strange passes to nobody. Slightly frustrating but nevertheless solid defensively.
Stambouli - I'm liking him the more I see him. Brought a much better balance to the midfield when he came on against Swansea, and thought the same tonight. A very tidy player, keeps things simple, breaks up play. Could be our new Scotty Parker.
Bentaleb was exceptional in possession. If this kid was at Woolwich/City/United/Liverpool the media would be having an orgy over his ability. His goal aside (which was a great finish) he was one of the best players on the pitch, plays with such maturity and keeps it simple. The boy can pick a pass when he needs to though.
Townsend was...well...Townsend. I don't know what more to say. The kid needs some serious coaching to get the best from his ability, because he clearly doesn't have a clue himself! One positive - he does always run towards the opposition goal which is refreshing, after the static display on Sunday. His run across Kane when he just missed was fucking bizarre, and sums his brains up for me.
Eriksen in behind Kane was superb, such great control and vision, and very calm in possession. Just a different class in our team. He would have been superb in the Modric/VDV/Bale/Berba days with players like that around him. First name on the team sheet for me with Hugo.
Chadli played well. Some good runs, good crosses, worked hard, and another goal. Should definitely be on the left, not the right (where Poch brought him on on Sunday).
Kane worked his bollocks off again, and another goal. I heard a stat last night - including England U-21's, he has 19 goals in 26 games this season. If that were Sturridge or Rooney, you wouldn't hear the fucking end of it in the papers. The boy has a certain class about him. A real, genuine goalscorer. Oh how we've missed one of them the past couple years.

Delighted to see Bobby come on and get a goal, despite him almost fucking it up! I think that him coming off the bench will be a common pattern now though - can't see him warranting a starting place when we play like that.

Well worth the journey down. On the train home now after a long week, trip to Swansea, to The Lane - now back to Devon. 2 wins. Couldn't ask for more than that.

I'm a lucky omen boys. Who wants to start a season ticket fund for me? :holtbytongue:
Tl;dr

:adegrin:

Despite all the praise for Bentaleb (and he did have a good game overall), I have to say he did cause a couple of “fucksake” moments for me, especially in the second half where he gave the ball away a couple of times in a row in dangerous areas because he was trying to sneak a pass through, a better team than Newcastle would have punished us.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy we have a player that appreciates the need to turn the ball over quickly in this system, god knows we've seen enough side ways passing at the club recently, but it did make me pinch my bell end a couple of times.

It’s a unwinable situation really, similar with Lamela (although the issues with his game are more complicated) because if he wasn’t trying these things I would have a go at him for being too pedestrian.

Our ball retention has been much much better recently though.

First you get tha ball retention.
Den you get tha confidence.
Den you get tha women.

"Vlad played some strange passes to nobody. Slightly frustrating but nevertheless solid defensively."
he's not RB,was an improvisation there with him,anyway he played well ,not perfect yesterday (OK),making crosses as RB is not style.

"Vlad played some strange passes to nobody. Slightly frustrating but nevertheless solid defensively."
he's not RB,was an improvisation there with him,anyway he played well ,not perfect yesterday (OK),making crosses as RB is not style.
He gets to use his strengths at RB so I see no problem with Poch's decision to use him there Dan. He still gives the ball away too often, but it's a little less of a disaster out wide.

Had a good shot on goal too that caused the GK to parry and could have been a goal if someone other than Townsend was ahead of him to pounce on the rebound

So pleased we sent the Geordie's back with their tails between their legs

fair play that two wins at WHL on the bounce had made them confident and so take a huge allocation for a midweek game......but some of them were still being right dicks on the High Road before KO

Exactly this.

Whilst I was waiting for Millbanks Millbanks to meet me outside the Bell & Hare, a coach from a company called North East Travel pulled-up on the High Road.

Out of it, came about 30 or 40 pissed-up Geordie youths, who must have had the average age of 12, giving it large to all the Spurs fans walking to the ground and chanting about how great Newcastle are. Glad they left gutted and hope they all got detention for being late or just not turning-up (much more likely) for school today.

Brilliant support and atmosphere throughout from the all the Spurs fans who were there last night, you did us proud everyone and I'm certain it inspired the team to victory.

Onwards to the semi-finals and hopefully another cup final appearance on the horizon. I know some people will disagree, but in my opinion, winning a trophy would be so much better than finishing fourth. COYS

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom