Tottenham Hotspur v Liverpool

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Vorm was great like Lloris of old, if he plays like that again Lloris is in trouble.

Defence held well considering the Liverpool onslaught in the first half.

We really miss Dembele.

Walker went off ill but I thought Dier had a good game at RB, so did Waynama other than the bad passing.

Alli was poor, Kane seriously needs a rest a proper rest and Eriksen was terrible I mean Paulinho level bad, not sure what's up with him.

Mane should have been sent off, done about 4 yellow card tackles and only got one card, ref did a total bottle job.

All in all our AM's where totally outplayed by Liverpool's giving them the game up to around 60 mins then we came back strongly. Our defence is well set-up but we need 2 more AM's of top ability to have a good season IMO. Janssen is a proper worker but he needs quicker more powerful players around him I feel.

Cheers Tomo.. Top job..

Agree about Eriksen. I'm one of his biggest fans, but his recent performances have been rubbish. He should be sold immediately. Also Dele. His pretend jumping for 50/50 headers was almost comical, and as a consequence, Liverpool won nearly every 2nd ball in midfield. We didn't look like we wanted to compete with a pretty average Liverpool side, and even the basics eluded our players. Terrible first touches, telegraphed passing, and an unwillingness to acknowledge the danger of the diagonal ball over the centre halves. In fact the performance was so bad that I'm considering stamping my foot and start supporting Hull. At least they put the effort in.
We still got a point Joe and could have won which is incredible. A Tottenham team of old would have collapsed. So there's that anyway.

They could and should have been a few up. But again we could of won which I guess is a good sign. It wasn't an onslaught but something strange was going on; we were just out classed. What was worrying was they just looked a lot better than us.

Cheers Mate,

I suppose the only God send is that we aren't playing well yet but are still unbeaten..it will click but we really need Eriksen to up his shit for that to happen..

They could and should have been a few up. But again we could of won which I guess is a good sign. It wasn't an onslaught but something strange was going on; we were just out classed. What was worrying was they just looked a lot better than us.

For me it was our lack of power and pace in the forward areas. We press and Liverpool press which means power and pace become decisive factors. Advantage Liverpool with Couthino and Mane.

Ideally we should have realised their advantage and boxed more clever like we did against Stoke last season and adopted a more sit and strike game, instead we went on the press and they just out powered us and our pressed us.

This type of game is perfect for a player who can hold the ball under pressure and drive forward, we always miss Dembele but yesterday more so in my view.

What worries me is that for an attacking unit that's meant to know each other and be settled, there's been very little fluidity in their play. Perhaps Mousa is the key, in that he makes space for them when he carries the ball. I'm not sure what's going on with the subs and players like Son, Trippier and Chadli, but Onomah looked a little "deer in the headlights" yesterday.
Agreed
I thnk moussa coming back will help but what struck me is that our attackers just arent doing the simple things right , basic passes or runs etc arent coming off
Hopefully just getting up to speed

We still got a point Joe and could have won which is incredible. A Tottenham team of old would have collapsed. So there's that anyway.
That is definitely the silver lining. We keep fighting, and if all that is on offer is a point we take the point.
I think the summer has hit us harder than most clubs, a lot of our players would have done better with a summer off rather than fucking about with the shambles that is England. Hopefully Allardyce does not pick any of our boys.

For me it was our lack of power and pace in the forward areas. We press and Liverpool press which means power and pace become decisive factors. Advantage Liverpool with Couthino and Mane.

Ideally we should have realised their advantage and boxed more clever like we did against Stoke last season and adopted a more sit and strike game, instead we went on the press and they just out powered us and our pressed us.

This type of game is perfect for a player who can hold the ball under pressure and drive forward, we always miss Dembele but yesterday more so in my view.

You're probably right about Dembele, but if you are, how poor is the rest of the team? I don't even want to think about that. If we can't win because one player is out, then wtf.

You're probably right about Dembele, but if you are, how poor is the rest of the team? I don't even want to think about that. If we can't win because one player is out, then wtf.
Didn't we get get less than one point without Dembele and 2.17 with him last season? He is pretty essential which as you said is a worrying sign.

They deserved to win by a single goal, Vorm man of the match, Alderweireld was our best outfield player with Rose next, plus Dele looks knackered.
If Eriksen plays shit against Stoke then he needs dropping against Monaco or Sunderland with Dembele taking up his position.
Hope Walker's not out for long(if at all) he's been our best player in the first two games, Tripitaka is an adaquate replacement though.

Couldn't get why there was empty seats in the ground. :vdvhmm:

Didn't we get get less than one point without Dembele and 2.17 with him last season? He is pretty essential which as you said is a worrying sign.

Yeh I remember that stat, if Dembele had played every game last season we'd have won the title but if he wasn't in the team we where getting relegation level points.

It's scary how much our system is dependent upon him. I also think Dembele makes up for the defensive pressing deficiencies of Eriksen and Alli and masks the problem that was clear yesterday.

I am just glad we got Waynama or it could have been messy.

The team looks nowhere near ready for the season, and we are 3 games in, CL coming up. From a professional point of view, that's not exactly top work from the backroom staff.

The result was fair - barely - but the performance was very poor, and there were some right questionable attitudes.

Kane and Dele are desperately worn and I can see no way around giving either rests before the CL programme kicks in (we have the vast majority of "sandwiching" league games AWAY around these fixtures).

Lamela, Vertonghen and Toby were riddled with mistakes and Eriksen put up one of his worst ever Spurs performances.

Why not Oz? Are you saying that certain clubs will get CL football consistently, but we won't be one of them? I thought that mindset had changed.

For every outlier (Leicester winning the league), there is a norm; wages equals position.
I want nothing more than us challenging for the league year in year out, but our wage bill suggests otherwise.
Whilst passionate, I'm also a realist; our wage structure is unlikely to change in the next 5-10 years.

The team looks nowhere near ready for the season, and we are 3 games in, CL coming up. From a professional point of view, that's not exactly top work from the backroom staff.

The result was fair - barely - but the performance was very poor, and there were some right questionable attitudes.

Kane and Dele are desperately worn and I can see no way around giving either rests before the CL programme kicks in (we have the vast majority of "sandwiching" league games AWAY around these fixtures).

Lamela, Vertonghen and Toby were riddled with mistakes and Eriksen put up one of his worst ever Spurs performances.
I reckon we are going to have to play a couple of games with Janssen up top and 3 out of Chadli, Son, Onomah and N'Koudou behind him. Most likely League Cup. How that goes will give us a good steer on the squad depth I think.

But you make us sound like a small club.You sound like a gooner taking the piss

Get off your 'big club' high horse bullshit, we haven't won't the title in 55 years.
Unlike you I feel no need to wrap myself in the deeds of those 6 decades ago. Whilst I can acknowledge our history, I doubt players are thinking let's join spurs because they did the league double 60 years ago.
Our wage structure simply cannot accommodate an establish world class player, sure we are more attractive than a raft of others, but by definition world class players can go anywhere and we have yet to crack that elite inner circle.
We may and I hope we do, but for now, log out of FM and stop being a whiny cunt.

Couldn't get why there was empty seats in the ground. :vdvhmm:
There's always empty seats in every ground. Particularly for early midday kick offs. Some ST holders just don't turn up, a few odd seats get left on stub hub. The ground was generally full, unless your commenting on what you could see on 43 minutes etc...

Back
Top Bottom