Tottenham Hotspur v Liverpool

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

However, we've simply matched the results in the same fixtures as last season.

2015/2016:
Everton (A) - 1-1 draw.
Crystal Palace (H) - 1-0 win.
Liverpool (H) - 0-0 draw.

2016/2017:
Everton (A) - 1-1 draw.
Crystal Palace (H) - 1-0 win.
Liverpool (H) - 1-1 draw.

We need to start bettering some of our results last season, the amount of points we saw last season probably won't see us reach top four this season.
Yes Totti I knew this was also the comparison , but we are building a team that when it clicks will give us the type of football we been longing to see.
Been a fan since 1967 but this team really gives me the chance to finish at the top of the tree COYS

Difficult to be downbeat about the draw. However, easy to scratch heads over the performance.

I'd prefer to focus on the grit & fight back that the disallowed goal sparked rather than the time before that "goal" when we were second to the majority of things and, as the home team, we were piss poor in setting the Tempo. it's tricky to write it down like we could with Everton, as the home team we should not be bossed as we were for long periods.

What was very odd to watch is that Liverpool have little shape & no blistering pace and at times had upto 8 players in and around our back 4, but despite this we looked so slow on the counter, which frustrated as they were wide fucking open lots. Our outlet ball either came straight back or was poorly distributed in play and we slowed down.

That our fall backs were shut down & we were unable to switch play, through the middle is concerning. If we are shut down wide then the ball needs to go into the middle and higher up, but too often this looked our weakest area and it was almost avoided. that needs fixing. With Moussa it is mostly fixed and we can play higher up with him in the side, but when he's not there....

Kane looked poor to me today and I don't think he or Jansen had enough cutting edge, although both our boys piss all over Liverpools origi, however, Liverpool had Milner at full back and someone making their debut at CB and still we did not really get through or much in behind.

The bench looked light today, squad needs a bolt of electic in it to fully galvanize. That's what is good about a statement signing.

As for the penalty. Not for me, was not a pen and Milner is boring even when he score a goal !

And a round of applause for Vorm today. First rate display of sweeper keeping and some critical saves. There is a goalkeeper there after all. Well done

Last edited:
Sorry can't be ar... bothered to read through everyone's posts as I have to go to sleep soon, but my take on the game was - we rode our luck a bit in the first half, with Michel playing a blinder (Hugo who? ... only joking!). Got a bit better in the second half. Bench still looking a little lightweight. Found the substitutions a little puzzling - if Son was on the bench, why not play him? Not worried about Harry, he is a notorious late starter, he will come good by the end of the season. Don't know if making him captain is helping him, but personally I think Toby is the best candidate for the job. Balance of the team wasn't helped by Walker's exit, although Eric did a fair job at fullback. Ref was utter garbage. Can't wait for The Moose's return. Being fair, suppose have to admit a draw was probably the right result.

Sorry can't be ar... bothered to read through everyone's posts as I have to go to sleep soon, but my take on the game was - we rode our luck a bit in the first half, with Michel playing a blinder (Hugo who? ... only joking!). Got a bit better in the second half. Bench still looking a little lightweight. Found the substitutions a little puzzling - if Son was on the bench, why not play him? Not worried about Harry, he is a notorious late starter, he will come good by the end of the season. Don't know if making him captain is helping him, but personally I think Toby is the best candidate for the job. Balance of the team wasn't helped by Walker's exit, although Eric did a fair job at fullback. Ref was utter garbage. Can't wait for The Moose's return. Being fair, suppose have to admit a draw was probably the right result.
Agree with almost everything there
But i dont think the draw was the right result
They fully deserved to win , we showed up for two 10 minute spells and were garbage for the other 70

Not a bad result to be fair. Attack needs more creativity. Not sure Eriksen suits us anymore although I could be being knee jerk?

Entirely justified in posing the question imv. If his toilet worthy form of late is a result of contractual negotiations he needs to be either benched until those are resolved or removed from the matchday squad until he understands his place. I like him, but he's taking the piss now.

It's quite astonishing that the same people who say "no no, the squad is good" are the first people to melt when we play badly. It's almost like they're really fucking stupid.

Do you remember the mood on here at the same time last year? It makes the reaction to today's game look like The Waltons. Worth having a look on account of nostalgic chuckles and a handy frame of reference.

I'm content with the points tally so far, what worries me is that our whole attacking unit look completely off the pace /knackered or uninterested
Still early days , and we more or less always keep ourselves in games becuase of our excellent defence and overall spirit

What worries me is that for an attacking unit that's meant to know each other and be settled, there's been very little fluidity in their play. Perhaps Mousa is the key, in that he makes space for them when he carries the ball. I'm not sure what's going on with the subs and players like Son, Trippier and Chadli, but Onomah looked a little "deer in the headlights" yesterday.

I'm curious as to when Pochettino found out that Walker wasn't feeling 100%. I imagine that it must have been after the team sheets were turned into the referees, because otherwise I'm pretty positive he would've just not taken the risk and started Trippier.

First a stats question: Does this result put Liverpool as the team we have the longest run without a win?

Second question: Are jaffa cakes tasty? The NBC commentator said that Onamah's hair looked like a jaffa cake. I googled it, kind a looks like a variant of a twinky.

Third question: Onamah must be showing something in training for Poch. So far I don't see what he brings to the pitch. He is not big, doesn't have huge pace, and isn't much for flair. But who knows maybe Poch is working on him special. We saw him turn Demebele around and he's getting the most out of Lamela. Rose is en fuego. Ok, so I don't really have a third question but really liked the format I was going with. :levystare:

Thought the officiating was terrible, and Liverpool were a bit dirty. I am happier with a point than a loss obviously but hope we tighten things up very soon.

COYS

Got to give plucky little Liverpool some credit for making a game of it....

Thought we were poor first half, much better second half & now we can welcome back Mousa.

Job done.
:llorishowudoin:

Agree with almost everything there
But i dont think the draw was the right result
They fully deserved to win , we showed up for two 10 minute spells and were garbage for the other 70
sorry I can never admit to us being outplayed (even if we were) - I certainly can't commit that thought in writing, I'm a tad biased like that :)

Back
Top Bottom