Tottenham Hotspur v Everton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Once again, for me it's a certain foul, but since he got his pass off you can't convert it to a goal-scoring opportunity. My belief is that people are people are being literal about the foul in the box rule, and not considering what in the minds of referees justifies a 95%+ scoring opportunity.

I think the problem with Paulinho, Dembele and Bentaleb is that they are all very similar players. All three when optimally used are box to box midfielders. All of them are good at a lot of different things but exceptional at nothing (except Dembele with dribbling but that doesn't always work in his favor). Adding to the problem is that none of them natural passers.

Likewise none of them are natural defenders despite all being good athletes. Though in fairness I thought Dembele and Bentaleb put in decent shifts defensively today (Dembele had 6 successful tackles and Bentaleb had 4 tackles and 4 interceptions). None of them look comfortable in a primarily attacking or defensive role. Bentaleb is so young he might develop into something different but I think we know what we have in the other two. I thought Dembele exemplified this problem today. He quite clearly from the start of the match was playing way higher up the pitch than normal and struggled a bit IMO. Then in the second half he was moved back and put in a MoM performance.

Over the last two years we've quite clearly suffered from Sandro and Modric sized holes in the midfield. We've been spoiled by both. A fit Sandro is the best player in his role in the league. No one covers space like him. He truly is irreplaceable for what he does. Then Luka was just such an incredible football mind and passer.

For me, if we can get Sandro back at full health we need to push more players forward and trust that Sandro can mop up any problems. I also think next year we need to either feature Tom Carroll in a lot of first team games or buy a CM who can pass. If we sold Paulinho for a big profit this summer I wouldn't be dismayed by it, not that I don't rate but just because we have two good players jut like him.

Anyway TL;DR but in summation we have three problems 1) We aren't the same without Sandro 2) Our passing from deep lying possessions is a real weakness that has needed to be assessed since Modric left 3) We have too many similar players that are hard to play together.

TBH I thought the quality of the passing from the back was ok as long as Vertonghen had the ball, Dawson and Rose in particular was another matter.

When people talk about passing problems, often the passing itself is an inferior problem to the problem of movement around the passing player being too slow, uncoordinated or just generally too poor.

With AVB our passing was very poor in the final third due to a visible lack of gameplan. Under Sherwood things appear more "free", but in reality as someone wrote to F365 the team has just losened up, making things visibly more lively up front, but also much less coordinated all over the pitch.

Under Sherwood I am extremely worried about the lack of confidence on the ball, when we win the ball in our third and try to move it through the middle third, runs are not made, one-twos not offered, the few good runs occasionally being made not seen and the few people who actively do look for space (hello Christian Eriksen) are very often overlooked in favour of either making overly risky passes to a heavily marked Ade or just running with the ball in really stupid places.

Definately need Sandro back as you say, a Modric kind of player wouldn't hurt either.

Did anyone else who was in the Park Lane Lower yesterday, notice that the stewards left us alone and again did not try to force us to sit down. I thought this only happened for Cat. A matches, but now appears to be happening for B & C games as well now.

Seemed to keep all the Spurs fans happy, and lead to a general more civil/less tense atmosphere between fans & stewards.

Long may it continue in my opinion, made for a much more enjoyable experience.

Last edited:
Did anyone else who was in the Park Lane Lower yesterday, notice that the stewards left us alone and again did not try to force us to sit down. I thought this only happened for Cat. A matches, but now appears to be happening for B & C games as well now.

Seemed to keep all the Spurs fans happy, and lead to a general more civil/less tense atmosphere between fans & stewards.

Long may it continue in my opinion, made for a much more enjoyable experience.

Through my speakers the atmosphere certainly seemed more amped than a lot of home games lately. Being absent, all I could chalk it up to at the time was that it was a big game, but I'm glad to see this.

TBH I thought the quality of the passing from the back was ok as long as Vertonghen had the ball, Dawson and Rose in particular was another matter.

When people talk about passing problems, often the passing itself is an inferior problem to the problem of movement around the passing player being too slow, uncoordinated or just generally too poor.

With AVB our passing was very poor in the final third due to a visible lack of gameplan. Under Sherwood things appear more "free", but in reality as someone wrote to F365 the team has just losened up, making things visibly more lively up front, but also much less coordinated all over the pitch.

Under Sherwood I am extremely worried about the lack of confidence on the ball, when we win the ball in our third and try to move it through the middle third, runs are not made, one-twos not offered, the few good runs occasionally being made not seen and the few people who actively do look for space (hello Christian Eriksen) are very often overlooked in favour of either making overly risky passes to a heavily marked Ade or just running with the ball in really stupid places.

Definately need Sandro back as you say, a Modric kind of player wouldn't hurt either.
The passing play......It's as loose as a bowl movement, the morning after a vindaloo. I feel it's down to a lack of confidance and as you say no real game plan.

It seems to me that TS sends the team out with simple instructions on where to play leaving it to the players to decide what needs to be done. I'm not knocking TS but his lack of experiance seems to reflect on the players performances, it's directly mirrored in their play.

hehe
frustrating isn't it!
like all managers, he'll be damned if they don't come on and succeed, and praised if they come on and win the game.
I felt we needed a change before half time. Whatever his game plan was, it wasn't working. They should have been ahead but, The football gods were smiling on us. However, what do I know, Ade scores we win 1-0. Safe.

Fuck me, not you as well.
I get the fact that this guy is a lot of people favourite drum to beat - but fuck me, this is total fabrication. His passing out of defence was perfectly fine, even his long range specials were pretty much OK, as long as you are not another of the holier than thou brigade who believe that he just shouldn't do it, without ever giving the guy credit for being pretty good at it.
He's got his faults, and he's not even the best defender at our club, but fuck me - lets not start making "facts" up about him.
He got pushed off the ball early on when Naismith was in demented mode, and he had Mirallas go past him at full speed (how many defenders have had that happen?) and didn't stop him - not in the 6 yard box, not in the penalty box, but half way between the half way and edge of the area.
That apart, the guy got his head on most of the stuff that came in the box, made half a dozen good stops and played a fairly solid game - and yet no-one says a damn good thing in his favour.
I can understand criticism when its fair and balanced, but if you are going to criticise the guy, at least have the decency to talk him up when does good stuff.

I felt we needed a change before half time. Whatever his game plan was, it wasn't working. They should have been ahead but, The football gods were smiling on us. However, what do I know, Ade scores we win 1-0. Safe.
Not sure why you say they should have been ahead, prior to our goal they never once had the ball in the net.
Unless I'm mistaken - you have to do that to score.

Not sure why you say they should have been ahead, prior to our goal they never once had the ball in the net.
Unless I'm mistaken - you have to do that to score.
It was desperate stuff from us 1st half. We were second best all over . Everton did everything right except score. Lloris was focused and we mucked in. Maybe luck shines on TS were AVB had it cloudy. For the record, I'm not complaining .

Anyone else kinda regret winning this game now? After the other humiliations we've had this season, I'd have coped with this. I assume most of us have written off 4th now, we have a decent (on paper) run in but we've left ourselves too much to do. My biggest hope for the rest of this season is that Everton overtake Woolwich (assuming MU don't win CL). Even winning the FA Cup wouldn't make up for losing top 4 to them cunts.

God what a shit season this has been.

Anyone else kinda regret winning this game now? After the other humiliations we've had this season, I'd have coped with this. I assume most of us have written off 4th now, we have a decent (on paper) run in but we've left ourselves too much to do. My biggest hope for the rest of this season is that Everton overtake Woolwich (assuming MU don't win CL). Even winning the FA Cup wouldn't make up for losing top 4 to them cunts.

God what a shit season this has been.

I want United to win the Champions League to see all those Wooliwich pricks moan about how unfair it all is.

Thing about Manure winning the CL is that
1] they're cunts
2] now that they've dropped a bit in status due to league standings, they'll be going after the same sorts of players as us (left overs from the top clubs). CL victory would put them ahead of us by a bit in terms of allure.
3] they could use CL money + reputation from winning to attract good players and build a good team, overcoming the amount of the key old players they're set to lose. they're very much a direct rival to us so this is bad.
4] they're cunts

I'd rather they didn't win, but Everton got 4th.

& as for the 3 points we took off Everton. At the time they were key points, actually put distance between us and Everton and made CL look very much on the cards. So it was a much needed win.

Looking back however, yeh I'd give those 3 points if they can beat scum to 4th.

No point regretting what might have been or wishing what could have been. Got to look forward, and I'll be pissed if the boys don't put in a proper performance at home against Sunderland.

Back
Top Bottom