Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You're use to being "poor" (relatively speaking) and budgeting. If I'm 16 and I earn 2.5k a week, do you think I'm going to be planning my retirement out in 20 years time?

The sheer amount of privilege of the rich means they lack many key skills. An incredible amount of footballers go bankrupt before they hit 40.

Brad Friedal. Seems down to earth, right? Seems like he has a lot of common sense? In 2011 he went bankrupt.

David James, England international, lots of big moves. Surely has a lot of money right? Bankrupt in 2005. 9 years later, guess what? He's still bankrupt.

Pele? Bankrupt.

Maradona? Bankrupt.

You take for granted your ability to sensibly handle your money. Not everyone has that skill and even fewer footballers do.

I am a poor Welsh Valleys boy... :)

To be fair I don't disagree with anything you're saying. It's a massive issue that football should deal better with and it'll never be solved easily. The fact is, at the top of the game, even the fringe players make enough to set them up for life. The fact that some still struggle is a disgrace to the game.

Perhaps we should get back to Toby? :) He's one of our top players so give him parity with the other top players. When we win the trophies that are on the horizon then reward him with even more :)

I wouldn't call them something in those strong terms :)

I do think though our individuals need to look at themselves a bit right now. We - they - have won nothing. When we qualified for the Champions League most would have got rewarded - I assume. The next time they should be rewarded is when we win something. They have as much chance winning something here as anywhere else with the league as it is these days so the only reason to leave is money. That is usually a sound reason - it is obviously a sound reason for us working folk - but surely it is different here.

Anyway this sounds like I'm on a downer - I'm not. I love this group of players. I just want them to see it through. They could all be legends. They will win things. I just don't want people to spoil something we're so close to! :)
I hope they stay and pile up trophies as well. Hopefully the increased stadium and naming rights revenue will help us hold on to this squad. :dierpochhug:

Levy won't sell him to anyone in England, so you're then hoping a European club pay him huge wages and he's an instant success. His choices are more or less limited to Bayern, Real, Barca, Juve, PSG (Unless I've missed someone). Moving to any of them could pose as big a risk as it could reward - they can instantly replace him.
Given Walker was sold to City, I don't see why Levy wouldn't also consider selling Alderweireld to a direct competitor if they make the best offer. :(

Given Walker was sold to City, I don't see why Levy wouldn't also consider selling Alderweireld to a direct competitor if they make the best offer. :(
You're probably right. The problem we as fans have is that our club doesn't operate the same way as other top clubs. When buying players, or extending contracts, we don't just take in to account what the player offers us on the pitch, we also consider what possible financial gain the player offers us in the future...Toby's age means that his value has now probably peaked. As the years go by his financial value will go down hence the clubs unwillingness to offer the bumper new contract his performances merit.
When City signed Walker for example, they were looking at one thing only. What he offers the team. Not future resale value. Wether we like it or not (and I dont) it's just how we operate.

Poch/Levy viewed Walker as past his best and a bit...well, I can't think of a nice way to say it, but thick. Without Poch he'll likely fade.

I think Walkers game has already gone donwhill. His defending when playing for England was shocking.

Yawn.

In a couple of weeks he'll have a new contract and all the bed wetting and conspiracy theories will look ridiculous (or more so, I should say).

so how does llorente fit in then? what will his resale value to in 2 years
Yeah but we all know Llorente was an exception to the rule. And in today's market was cheap as chips. We would never have paid 40million for Sanchez, for example, if he was around 28 years old and just reaching his peak.

Not going to let this bother me......the way we are set up gives me so much confidence that the system and the manager is the real key to this era we are entering.

I "love" Toby......but only while he's Spurs. If he leaves, he leaves, and thats all there is to it.

Our manager has set us up for the long term with the likes of Sanchez and Foyth, and Toby has at least another full season here, by which time he'll be 30 odd. It outlines what we do, and what City do.....Pep sees the best defence, coached and developed by another manager, and simply tries to buy it.

The Walker saga, and the Rose comments taught me a lot, and now Im less naive. Id like to believe that our squad all want to be part of this amazing journey specifically at Spurs, but I just see it for what it is now.

A fantastic and dedicated group of footballers who have really made me proud and hopeful. But, when the glamour/money clubs come calling, every single one of their heads can be turned.

For me, the club just grinds on, and now the wheels are in motion so there is every chance the silverware will come before players start looking elsewhere for it.

Back
Top Bottom