Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We need to make him on of the top earners at the club, simple as that. He is the best centre back in the league and deserves it. I'd pay him whatever he wanted, otherwise he will be playing in one of the best teams in the world soon as he is that good. He's the best centre back we've had since King and even then I'd say he's better than King, just get it done Levy because we don't need an Alexis Sanchez situation here. We're on the verge of something special, let's not ruin it over wages.

£200K a week?

There needs to be a limit.

Has he not been away with Belgium? Would make contract talks a bit difficult if so.
I'm hoping for confirmation of new contract before the weekend, get it put to bed before more games.

Who knows for sure what he is / is not on. But it will be an incredible amount regardless. As incredible as some others ? Possibly not, but it won't be anything to moan about. Especially if it is an incentive led deal.

His Agent is puss for saying ANYTHING, especially to the Sun and so close to the Rose cunting the club off moment it is frankly stupid.

Q to Agent "Has Toby got a new contract ?"

A to press "that is a private matter between his employers and Toby, good bye"

Whether your a prick like Rose who babbles yourself or you use your "Agent" to do the dirty work, your still ultimately responsible.

So for "poor" Toby I have no sympathy. You want out. Hand in a Transfer request and fuck off ! End of story. People die because they can't afford their heating in the winter, these players are so blessed, even at Tottenham's "terrible" wage levels that they have nothing to moan about. Ever.

As for the Sun. There is very clearly an agenda at that paper to destabilise and undermine Tottenham. Why, I don't know, but it's so pointedly obvious now. Probably because our corporate hospitality is not as good as Man Shity or Man Pooh's.

The Suns agenda comes down to most its 'workers' if any of them not being Tottenham. We're an easy target as we don't sign glamorous over the top names or pay what others are willing or able to do. You can't link a £300k player to a team that pays £100k, it stops the narrative in its tracks but you can easily do it the other way around. Sex sells and our signings don't generate as much hype as the Liverpool, Man U, Man City or Chelsea signings and they need to write something, so instead of a boring piece on how well a Tottenham have done to build a stable business model with as many tools as our rivals on a budget that doesn't come across as a petulant rich kids bank account wouldn't make for gossipy reading.

They're gossipers that's all they are. Stir some shit, get people talking and get people reading the article. They're nothing more than an Eastenders Christmas Murder of a paper. The Beano will stimulate your mind better than that manipulative piece of arse wipe.

We also risk destabilising the transfer market by winning something without blowing our load. If we prove you don't need to be the number one spenders to be the number one team other teams might follow suit and the ballistic transfers we see may dry up. No transfers and all players happy = nothing to write about. Nothing to write about = no papers to sell.

Nothing but a bunch of gossipy schoolgirls, the lot of them.

Last edited:
£200K a week?

There needs to be a limit.

Toby is coming to the end of his career. He will probably only have 1 contract left in him, for 5 years, taking him up to the age of 33.

This is his best chance to set himself up for life and to maximize his earnings. I'm not surprised he's talking about wages.

3 years left on his contract, meaning we'll sell him next summer if no agreement has been reached.

I'd offer him £150k a week without hesitating. He's simply worth it. We should keep him here until he retires. His game doesn't rely on pace and he could potentially play to a high level until mid-30's.

150k a week for 3 years is what I'd offer him. Not a long contract so we get the best of his upper 20s and he still gets a chance to get another payday somewhere else.

And I'd pray he takes 150k because he could easily get 200k at about 10 other clubs in the world.

150k a week for 3 years is what I'd offer him. Not a long contract so we get the best of his upper 20s and he still gets a chance to get another payday somewhere else.

And I'd pray he takes 150k because he could easily get 200k at about 10 other clubs in the world.

3 years? Toby isn't going to lose his skill when he turns 31.

He already has a 3 year contract..............why would you pay him more and give him the exact same contract length....

Has to be 5 year minimum imo.

It's decision time and we either keep him until he gets well into his 30's or you sell him next year. If we're going to sell him we should sell him next year. Not when he's 31 and we'll get nothing.

3 years? Toby isn't going to lose his skill when he turns 31.

He already has a 3 year contract..............why would you pay him more and give him the exact same contract length....

Has to be 5 year minimum imo.

It's decision time and we either keep him until he gets well into his 30's or you sell him next year. If we're going to sell him we should sell him next year. Not when he's 31 and we'll get nothing.
I'd rather we get 3 years with 150k then no extension at all.

It would be nice to sell the concept to Toby that he will still get a monster payday in 3 years (rather than the odds of one in 5 years) if only he sticks with us for 150k which would be extremely generous of him.

He and his agent knows they have us by the balls. They can get whatever number they'll throw out.

I do grow so weary of the athletes make so much money, they should pipe down narrative. Is it grotesque that they make the wages they do, while others starve and freeze? Absolutely, but that's capitalism and it's not a player's fault we chose this economic system. Let's not pretend that tv money, sponsorship money, etc. would otherwise be doing good in the world if only it weren't for greedy cunt footballers. Athletes are laborers, albeit well paid ones, and deserve every penny they can get out of a business whose value is derived from their efforts. If it doesnt go to them it goes to an upgrade on Joe Lewis' yacht or a small country for Abramovich's winter retreat. So yeah, go on and get your money son - at least you're earning it.

3 years isn't an extension though, you spoon.

He has 3 years now.

If he signed a 3 year contract now, guess what, he has 3 years still.

It would need to be 4 years minimum to be classed as an "extension".
It would be nice to sell the concept to Toby that he will still get a monster payday in 3 years

No one is going to give a 31 year old £200-300k a week. Not unless the TV rights money doubles.

Places like China and middle east love attacking players, they may pay Tevez that, but they're not going to pay a defender that.

3 years isn't an extension though, you spoon.

He has 3 years now.

If he signed a 3 year contract now, guess what, he has 3 years still.

It would need to be 4 years minimum to be classed as an "extension".

No one is going to give a 31 year old £200-300k a week. Not unless the TV rights money doubles.

Places like China and middle east love attacking players, they may pay Tevez that, but they're not going to pay a defender that.
He'll be pushing for a move next summer if we don't up his contract. Fine offer him 4 years but pray he takes something around 150k. He knows what he's worth and what the top clubs in europe will pay for him.

that's certainly the first time I've ever been called a spoon...
:dembelefingers:

He'll be pushing for a move next summer if we don't up his contract. Fine offer him 4 years but pray he takes something around 150k. He knows what he's worth and what the top clubs in europe will pay for him.

that's certainly the first time I've ever been called a spoon...
:dembelefingers:

He also knows how a move can ruin his career and not go as planned. I.e. his move to Athletico Madrid, where he was benched and a squad player despite being the best defender there.

Levy won't sell him to anyone in England, so you're then hoping a European club pay him huge wages and he's an instant success. His choices are more or less limited to Bayern, Real, Barca, Juve, PSG (Unless I've missed someone). Moving to any of them could pose as big a risk as it could reward - they can instantly replace him.

Seems to me that the only decision players of his age have to make is do I see out my career at a top ten club, scraping by on £5-7.5M a year but playing when I'm fit, or whether to go to a top 5 (paying) club and have a year in the team and 4 more in the cups/benchwarming on £10-12M

he must have seen Kane getting an improved contract year after year so he'll have no fear of not being rewarded. All the players know next season with the new stadium is the game changer. Levy will offer an improved contract letting Toby know if we hit certain goals he can negotiate an improved contract in 18 months. Lets hope he is comfortable and shares the vision, he will be rewarded and will have a longer career with us than others...

I've have been thinking over recent years there needs to be additional incentives for players to stick around certain clubs and I came up with an idea a few weeks ago. I wanted to mock it up as a dummy scheme to see how it went down but a bit stacked at the moment.

he must have seen Kane getting an improved contract year after year so he'll have no fear of not being rewarded. All the players know next season with the new stadium is the game changer. Levy will offer an improved contract letting Toby know if we hit certain goals he can negotiate an improved contract in 18 months. Lets hope he is comfortable and shares the vision, he will be rewarded and will have a longer career with us than others...

I've have been thinking over recent years there needs to be additional incentives for players to stick around certain clubs and I came up with an idea a few weeks ago. I wanted to mock it up as a dummy scheme to see how it went down but a bit stacked at the moment.
This! The more Toby delays the contract, the more power he gets and the pie is always going to get bigger when the new stadium is finished. Makes sense he will wait, just not too happy with the agent spouting bullshit.

But whatever is the case, we should be happy to hold on to him for 2 more years at least before selling him if required for 25 million as per his release clause requirement.

This! The more Toby delays the contract, the more power he gets and the pie is always going to get bigger when the new stadium is finished. Makes sense he will wait, just not too happy with the agent spouting bullshit.

But whatever is the case, we should be happy to hold on to him for 2 more years at least before selling him if required for 25 million as per his release clause requirement.

At that point you may as well sell him next year for £40-50 mil+.

It would be nice to sell the concept to Toby that he will still get a monster payday in 3 years (rather than the odds of one in 5 years) if only he sticks with us for 150k which would be extremely generous of him.

He and his agent knows they have us by the balls. They can get whatever number they'll throw out.

With 3 years left on his contract I'd say we are the ones that hold most of the cards at the moment. All of those big clubs that are apparently interested in him at the moment were nowhere to be seen when we offered him a 5 year deal. He should get an increase and an extension and I'm sure he will but he signed for Spurs knowing the wage ceiling so getting the arse about it now makes no sense. If he wants double what he can earn at Spurs let him run down his contract and see where the big boys are at when he's 31.

Give Toby an extension and an increase that is in line to his influence in the team if possible, which I put as on par with Vertonghen of not £5k-£10kmore perhaps but don't drop your knickers for him if he's allowed his head to be turned, the same applies to the rest of them.

If we bump Toby up to £150k we'll have to do the same with a lot of others (Harry, Dele, Christian and if it wasn't for him just turning 30 possibly Jan)

We'd probably also have to give the 2nd tier players in the group like Rose and Hugo a review as well as you know everyone would compare who's getting what in relation to their counterparts) There's a lot of business logistics and softer impacts you need to consider when you're not run by a country, Sheikh or never ending blood money.

We've survived losing Ginola, Modric, Berbatov and Bale in the past, we'll be more than capable of continuing our growth should any of this lot chose to not value the gaffers work in making them household names

Last edited:
Toby is coming to the end of his career. He will probably only have 1 contract left in him, for 5 years, taking him up to the age of 33.

This is his best chance to set himself up for life and to maximize his earnings. I'm not surprised he's talking about wages.

3 years left on his contract, meaning we'll sell him next summer if no agreement has been reached.

I'd offer him £150k a week without hesitating. He's simply worth it. We should keep him here until he retires. His game doesn't rely on pace and he could potentially play to a high level until mid-30's.
£150k? He can go elsewhere and get £300k - and I think he knows it.

I do grow so weary of the athletes make so much money, they should pipe down narrative. Is it grotesque that they make the wages they do, while others starve and freeze? Absolutely, but that's capitalism and it's not a player's fault we chose this economic system. Let's not pretend that tv money, sponsorship money, etc. would otherwise be doing good in the world if only it weren't for greedy cunt footballers. Athletes are laborers, albeit well paid ones, and deserve every penny they can get out of a business whose value is derived from their efforts. If it doesnt go to them it goes to an upgrade on Joe Lewis' yacht or a small country for Abramovich's winter retreat. So yeah, go on and get your money son - at least you're earning it.

I agree with this to an extent. Of course they should get what they can. What I disagree with is that 'they have to get their last payday to set them up for life'. I would be set for life on a one-year contract on £50k a week so let's not entertain the fact that they 'need' to take the last payday.

All our big payers are on enough to set them up for life. Of course they could earn more elsewhere but they are handsomely rewarded regardless.

The next stage for them all to get raises is when we win something as far as I'm concerned.

Back
Top Bottom