This season's expectations

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not necessarily, every NFL team for example, their expectations are to make the playoffs and win the super bowl...how you get there doesnt matter. Its the end result.

EDIT: Maybe its different because of the promotion and relegation system, where you can take marginal success (being mid table) as a success in itself.

If you showed up on a Raiders, Bills, Jaguars, Browns, Texans, etc message board and said that you expected the team to win the Super Bowl and otherwise the season was a waste I'm pretty sure you'd be laughed off the board. Most Americans have the critical thinking ability to understand that reasonable expectations are connected to a massive series of factors rather than just IF WE DONT WIN EVERYTHING, SHUT IT DOWN.

It would be absurd to expect Spurs to win the league. What's the point of it even? Just to tell yourself you're striving for the best? If you're not realistic about expectations all you're doing is just lying to yourself. That doesn't really serve a purpose IMO.

If you showed up on a Raiders, Bills, Jaguars, Browns, Texans, etc message board and said that you expected the team to win the Super Bowl and otherwise the season was a waste I'm pretty sure you'd be laughed off the board. Most Americans have the critical thinking ability to understand that reasonable expectations are connected to a massive series of factors rather than just IF WE DONT WIN EVERYTHING, SHUT IT DOWN.

It would be absurd to expect Spurs to win the league. What's the point of it even? Just to tell yourself you're striving for the best? If you're not realistic about expectations all you're doing is just lying to yourself. That doesn't really serve a purpose IMO.

Perhaps I am lost in translation with "expectations", "what the team should be striving for this season", "what will I expect to happen this season"

Perhaps I am lost in translation with "expectations", "what the team should be striving for this season", "what will I expect to happen this season"

Okay, so yeah I mean you strive for your team to win every game but you don't expect it. You theoretically set out to win everything but I feel like there's a difference between seeing it as an "expectation". This will be Spurs 131st season and we've won 17 pieces of silverware. Setting a goal or expectation of winning a trophy or playing in a final is a solid for Spurs. It's ambitious while also being reasonable.

Where I think we're just getting crossed up is I agree you set out to try to win everything you're in. Meaning that you don't just concede or give up anything. But where I think our misunderstanding is that I wouldn't describe that mindset as an expectation. For me, an expectation is something that you believe could be feasibly reached, if that makes sense.

To play admiring football. To gel and look like a team who knows and has a game plan. A,B and C. To bounce around the top 6 all season. Ending up 5th, close 4th. Woolwich 6th. Last 8 of the EL Cup. And then to take this exciting, full of promise squad into 15/16 with the genuine expectation of CL football via at least a EL Victory.

So it seems most people don't expect us to push for a top 4 finish, which I think is good.
I wonder if conversely the atmosphere may be a little better because of that (hopefully more because of the football we play) but without that overbearing expectations from fans to be mixing it with the top 4, maybe we can enjoy ourselves a little more.

....and you never know, we might be pleasently surprised.

Top 6, solid cup run and not being bored to death by our football, also for our home game atmosphere to not resemble a morgue.

Yep, the way I see it as well.
It would be great to get back to looking forward to games with the hope of actually enjoying the football again.
I've really got the feeling we've got the manager now to make the most out of some very talented players.
Pretty excited TBH.

My hope is we win a trophy. My expectation is we won't and we won't better Sherwood's ppg, and I'll be wondering if Tim was so dim, what does that make Poch?

Not that I think Poch is dim, but the Sherwood haters have set the bar very high, and fair's fair :)

I bet there is other managers with a better ppg over a 5 month period than Sherwood. He acted like a big time charlie cunt and that's why he's still unemployeed now. The fact Ade was itching to play and no one knew a fecking thing about Sherwoods crap tactics helped him greatly. I can see him going similar to Roy Keane at the very best if he gets a proper job.

:sherwoodwtf::sherwoodlol:

I dont understand these threads...and maybe its the American in me, but shouldn't the expectation always be to win everything? All possible trophies and leagues?

If you fall short of those expectations, thats what it is, but to strive for anything other than absolute excellence seems like a waste of time and effort.

I completely disagree. How many times have you looked your football (American) team and said, "I'll be happy if we make the playoffs." Even if you don't personally say that, I know you've heard it. I will be upset if the Patriots don't make it deep this season, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if we don't make it to the Super Bowl.

Back
Top Bottom