This season's expectations

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Does everyone have lower ones this time around?

Do you think we are more likely to be finishing 5th/6th/7th? Would you be happy with that and more attacking football?

Or are you expecting top 4/ Think we should be very close?

Just interested to see what people are thinking for Poch's first season in charge...

I'm happy with top 6 as that is where we've deserved to be for a few seasons now.

If we push on in signing a left winger and a goalscorer that hits the ground running then we could push for 3rd, I won't be disappointed if we don't.

I expect much better looking football than last season. Right now that's all I ask for. A bit of excitement again. We'll end up where we end up. If will be very tough to get top four. Everyone is strengthening well.

I just want to be able to break this out.

Also I've heard Warsaw is quite nice in May.

My expectations are to be able to vs the Citys and Liverpools and not be played off the park. And also hopefully exciting football while winning games. If that results in us not coming top 4, so be it. It would feel much better than last season.

I've got a feeling we might perform better and be more exciting but perversely, finish a place or two lower down the league.

I'll take that if we have decent cup runs and come back stronger the season after.

End up in 5th, but make whoever comes in 4th feel uncomfortable right until the end.
More fluid attacking style that will convert non believer into Poch backers.
Deep into Europa.

I dont understand these threads...and maybe its the American in me, but shouldn't the expectation always be to win everything? All possible trophies and leagues?

If you fall short of those expectations, thats what it is, but to strive for anything other than absolute excellence seems like a waste of time and effort.

I'd be very happy with either 5th, or 6th and a cup.

Important thing is to play some good fluid football, faster transitions, less defensive mistakes etc.

We all know in reality that come March we'll all have our calculators out, desperately trying to tell ourselves that this or that is mathematically possible. Only to have our hearts ripped out & stamped on by the footballing Gods. Somehow drawing Barcalona in the FA Cup & the 1970's Brazil team in the waffer Cup.

Bet cha house on it

I dont understand these threads...and maybe its the American in me, but shouldn't the expectation always be to win everything? All possible trophies and leagues?

If you fall short of those expectations, thats what it is, but to strive for anything other than absolute excellence seems like a waste of time and effort.

If you had this same conversation on any message board for an American sports team no one would say they expect to go 162-0, 82-0, 16-0 etc. 99% of Americans address their teams with rationale based on how their team looks and what appears to be reasonable expectations. Stop trying to show off.

My expectations are not to be blown out by anyone this season, obvious improvement in the teamplay, more entertaining football, and to finish no worse than sixth.

My hope is for one strong cup run. After all the impulsive changes and the investments made, I think the fans deserve it. In fact, I expect to see a more respectful and determined effort towards the cups this upcoming season than what we've seen in recent years.

If you had this same conversation on any message board for an American sports team no one would say they expect to go 162-0, 82-0, 16-0 etc. 99% of Americans address their teams with rationale based on how their team looks and what appears to be reasonable expectations. Stop trying to show off.

Not necessarily, every NFL team for example, their expectations are to make the playoffs and win the super bowl...how you get there doesnt matter. Its the end result.

EDIT: Maybe its different because of the promotion and relegation system, where you can take marginal success (being mid table) as a success in itself.

It's harsh on the mind to have your short-term expectations set so high with a big risk of failure, it's a bit different with long-term goals.

Back
Top Bottom