THFC....where are we?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

First off great thread.

Spurs fan since I was a boy and like most here I've been watching the train wreck since the mid-late 90s the resurgence under Harry and the coming train wreck that's already happening since Harry was given the boot.
:harrysmile:

The message is clear lads... Levy ditched Harry at the first opportunity so he could appoint a DOF because he doesn't want a manager in charge of the transfers.
:pochfacepalm:

What do AVB, Sherwood & Poch all have in common? None of them were given the chance to bring in their own players. Harry did and he got results, he wasn't even as technically gifted as AVB - granted AVB didn't get the dressing rooms support, nor did Sherwood... Poch seems to have that ability to get along with the players... None of this matters though. Because the players we need aren't going to come anymore.
:avblol:

Levy spent the Bale money on a number of players rather than a few quality ones because he knew this meant that he didn't have to spend money they had prior to the Bale sale. It also meant that signing a bunch of morons and expanding the squad to ridiculous levels (midfield) means that we don't have to spend money on transfers for a few seasons more.
:levystare:

Levy wants to run the club, he appoints managers who he thinks can work miracles and still refuses to see that the problem doesn't end with each successive manager. He's never going to get it because he's a control freak obsessed with profits.
:levylol:

We have always been that team that is joked about, of course we have, we always bottle it when the going gets tough. We're the national team incarnate... Levy refuses to allow the managers to sell dead wood players like Adebayor because he knows we'll have to replace them with someone who we pay out more for. Adebayor is honestly the most useless forward we've had for years, and yet we let proven goalscorers like Defoe leave. Stick Kane and Soldado in a 4-4-2 and stop playing the guy who looks so shit on his feet that he may as well be on ice skates.
:adegrin:

Half our problems on the pitch right now upfront and 100% of that problem is Adebayor. I don't think we've seen the best of Soldado and we've never really used him to his strengths. I feel sorry for him. Kane is playing well and has been since the end of last season. I feel sorry for the likes of Lamela and Eriksen who are our best midfielders who continue to have nobody to feed the ball to because Adebayor is either not in the right position, not willing to run into the right positions or has the ball bounce off him because he can't control the football any better than a geriatric.
:adewtf:

Why he keeps getting played is beyond any of us at this point... Is it the manager? Is it Levy? Who knows.

The other half of our problem on the pitch is the defense. Always looking open and clueless, panic any time someone comes close and without Lloris we'd be bottom of the table right now.

I don't think our defenders are bad, they just have a bad attitude and they're not organized enough. Clearly right now Kaboul is our weakness here and Dier/Fazio depending on form and fitness are a better option. We desperately need Walker back, Dier is a talented kid, but RB is never going to be a position he can thrive in.

We need to play better football generally, pass the ball better and create chances, press the team... All the stuff Poch is here to do, but can't do with these players.

Levy isn't going to let him buy the players he needs, so we're in a big mess and see us finishing 10th this year and as we lose players and lose the rep to bring in decent ones we'll be lost to mid-table mediocrity as profits drop, Levy will protect the nest egg and not invest it to get back because it's obviously the managers fault...

Even if he does invest (properly) once it gets this bad, which it will at this rate, then it's another 10 year rebuilding period for us at best, and to me unless Levy allows Poch freedom to sign players, which I can't see happening then it's all downhill from here.
:adegrin2::levylol::adegrin::levywhoa:

In fairness he turned us down before he moved to Chelsea, then again when he moved to Newcastle (was around the Arnesen bad blood so wouldn't have helped), and even, I beleive, before he went to 'StHam.

Was unbelievable for us that first season. Shame he was a shadow of that player those final few months with us - guess injuries and his lifetime supply of McDonalds took their toll!

Parker was great at what he was, but in that team with Bale, Modric, Rafa he was clearly out of his depth.

Had we gotten him earlier, he would probably still be around and pretty much be a club legend.

He was no Dave Mackay, though, and people seem to overrate him massively in hindsight

Although the problem is a lot bigger than just this, but I hope the people that slagged Daws off no end are happy. Maybe not the best defender, but he was committed, a leader, loved the club. With all the new players we have someone who had been at the club the best part of 10 years would have provided stability. Plus he really isn't any worse than Kaboul & Fazio. Probably the worst defensive partnership I've seen at the lane for a long time.

Too many retards in this team and no one seemingly willing or confident enough to want responsibility of the ball in tight spaces in the opposition half . Probably because they know that as soon as they get it none of their team mates are showing for it. It's like they are all waiting for someone else to do something good.

I don't dislike any of them and I can see that they were at least trying today. But we seem to be scoring goals almost by accident and just look so so vulnerable at the back.

Although the problem is a lot bigger than just this, but I hope the people that slagged Daws off no end are happy. Maybe not the best defender, but he was committed, a leader, loved the club. With all the new players we have someone who had been at the club the best part of 10 years would have provided stability. Plus he really isn't any worse than Kaboul & Fazio. Probably the worst defensive partnership I've seen at the lane for a long time.

Agree totally

If Tottenham appointed an ex goon as Chairman, an ex goon as a director of football and an ex goon as Manager. You might expect us to lose to West Brom Newcastle & Stoke after playing utter shite football each time....

The way this Club is being run is no better than if we were trying to be shit !

Oh for Stadium MK's big pitch !
Farcical

Parker was great at what he was, but in that team with Bale, Modric, Rafa he was clearly out of his depth.

Had we gotten him earlier, he would probably still be around and pretty much be a club legend.

He was no Dave Mackay, though, and people seem to overrate him massively in hindsight
Parker went backwards so often he made Capoue look like Hoddle

Paulinho, Naughton, Kaboul, Adebayor, Assou-Ekotto in my opinion all need to be shifted by the end of the season. Cut the losses and we will be a better team for it.
Giving the captaincy to Kaboul was a mistake, yes he is a leader, but he is not good enough to be in our starting xi, poch shouldn't have made that mistake. He should have given it to Hugo.
Good news in that DeAndre can come to Spurs in January so Naughton can be replaced finally.

After today's performance I feel lack of inspiration, tenacity, and mental strength. Also felt terrible tactics from Poch, but the players and the staff were both at fault. It was a pitiful performance today, or that's what I thought from the stands.

We need to do something fresh, I am reminiscing about the Bale, Lennon, Modric, Parker, Van der Vaart midfield. Such a beautiful balance, and there was so much pace in the team. Why don't we try by putting lennon on the right and townsend on the right and make things simple instead of these cutting in wingers.

----------------------Lloris---------------------
Walker-----Vert-----------Fazio-------Rose
-----------Dembele-----Eriksen---------------
Lennon-----------------------------Townsend
----------------------Lamela----------------------
-----------------------Kane-------------------------

Yes a lot of faces are missing, but it's not about the faces its about getting the results, and we should try this out. The central midfield pairing is where my troubles are, Paulinho/Capoue/Bentaleb/Mason could be instead of Eriksen. Davies instead of Rose?

Paulinho, Naughton, Kaboul, Adebayor, Assou-Ekotto in my opinion all need to be shifted by the end of the season. Cut the losses and we will be a better team for it.
Giving the captaincy to Kaboul was a mistake, yes he is a leader, but he is not good enough to be in our starting xi, poch shouldn't have made that mistake. He should have given it to Hugo.
Good news in that DeAndre can come to Spurs in January so Naughton can be replaced finally.

After today's performance I feel lack of inspiration, tenacity, and mental strength. Also felt terrible tactics from Poch, but the players and the staff were both at fault. It was a pitiful performance today, or that's what I thought from the stands.

We need to do something fresh, I am reminiscing about the Bale, Lennon, Modric, Parker, Van der Vaart midfield. Such a beautiful balance, and there was so much pace in the team. Why don't we try by putting lennon on the right and townsend on the right and make things simple instead of these cutting in wingers.

----------------------Lloris---------------------
Walker-----Vert-----------Fazio-------Rose
-----------Dembele-----Eriksen---------------
Lennon-----------------------------Townsend
----------------------Lamela----------------------
-----------------------Kane-------------------------

Yes a lot of faces are missing, but it's not about the faces its about getting the results, and we should try this out. The central midfield pairing is where my troubles are, Paulinho/Capoue/Bentaleb/Mason could be instead of Eriksen. Davies instead of Rose?

Mason over Dembele.

[formation=4231, Lloris, Walker, Dier, Davies, Rose, Stambouli, Mason, Townsend, Chadli, Eriksen, Kane][/formation]

This is the team I would play if I were manager, Lloris Captain & Walker Vice-Captain.

Would not play Townsend on the right he just cuts back and shoots all the time.

I'm sure a lot of this has been said but all my frustration over last season and this does need expressing.

As I see it we lack both quality and desire. When Bale won matches single-handed for us two seasons ago, we learnt the wrong lesson. Our transfer policy became fixated on depth to a ridiculous degree, leading to us a squad of players of incredible mediocrity. The real lesson was the importance of match winners. For me, the only player we have who can rescue us when we our under the cosh is Eriksen and he needs quality around and in front of him to a greater degree than a Rafa or a Bale. Lamela and Kane may become this for us in several seasons but at present neither are at that level and certainly not good enough to build a team around. We do not a spine of players at all. The only players we have who in my opinion are good enough are Chadli, Eriksen, Walker, Vertonghen, Bentaleb, Kane and of course Hugo and aside from him and Eriksen none of them could form a spine to a team with any kind of aspiration in this league. Someone who can dominate the base of midfield is perhaps our biggest requirement. It came to me the other day that Liverpool probably won't renew Gerrard's contract at the end of the season and he would represent an ambitious but for me plausible swoop to do that role for us for a season or two. Parker in hindsight added to so much in the way of fight and graft to the side but he really didn't have enough in the way of quality with the ball. Defensively, while personal are obviously an issue, I always feel that more important is organisation and spirit, Chelsea aside the best defences in this league are not those who have the best individuals but who are well drilled, committed and defend as team with two banks of four where everyone knows their roles and therefore are the best collective, if we were those things we would turn narrow loses into points.

Every side will have off days and us more than most but the difference is a poor performance will without exception will lead to a poor result. We cannot win ugly. If we are to have any hope of reconstruction that is the key skill we need to learn. The transfer policy over the last few windows has resulted in plenty of players who have technical ability but little physicality and most importantly application, like Soldado, like Lamela or indeed Ade. We have to defend as a team. For me Lamela is overhyped as while he has plenty of flicks and tricks he has none of the commitment and desire of a proper player. I would much rather see him burst his lungs to get back and defend than beat someone with a stepover. So many of our players abdicate responsibility, none of our forward players will press from the front or track the runners from midfield, no-one will stand up when we're playing badly and try and make things happen. Which brings me to our biggest problem on-pitch leadership, Kaboul as captain just sums this up, the only outfield leader in our squad is not good enough to play for us. We need leaders all over the pitch not just at centre back but in midfield and in our offensive players as well.

We do not need a huge number of signings in fact a good transfer window for us would involve offloading a large number of over-paid players which should please the penny-pincher in Levy. If we are to have any hope of getting where we want to be we need 3-5 quality players. This is especially because the quality of the Premier League will improve over the next few seasons - United may be average now but with the sums they are now spending after a few transfer windows they will be excellent again, Woolwich are opening their pursestrings slowly, Liverpool are in a similar place to us but have more cash and as much as it pains me Anfield has a greater aura for players looking to move. We need a proven goalscorer who will work hard for the team, a combative defensive midfielder with a bit of quality, generally midfielders with both more ability and commitment and a centre half who will lead by example and organise the shambles we call a defence.

As said nothing original just my thoughts that hopefully made a bit of sense.

I know he loved the club and all but he was still apart of our farcical drubbings last season. He needed to be upgraded but we made a sideways signing in Fazio

Back
Top Bottom