The transfer window: A strategic perspective

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So currently we are sitting joint top 4th with liverpool, Nonetheless,how many times have we been in this position in january after 22 games?

• we were fourth last season (2012-13).
  • we were third the season before that (2011-12)
  • fourth the season before that (2010-11)
  • And indeed the historic season we actually qualified for the champions league we were 4th after 22 games.
Like I said in previous post we have been here before.Now to keep it simple to win games you need to score goals and not concede them.The common narrative of the last three-four years has been one of falling short in both departments and a failure to address this problem.

• ie: 2012-13, we needed a striker when Adebayor went missing ( failed solution :Holtby)
  • ie:2011-12, we needed a decent defender when ledleys kings knees gave in (Failed solution:Saha &Nelsen)
  • ie:2010-11, we needed a decent striker. (failed solution: steven pienaar)
Over the last three years we have finished on 72 ,69 and 62 points. Yes indeed we can call that progress but what is more disturbing at how close behind Woolwich we finished, one point behind in the last two years and six in the 3rd. So this tells me that's it is not a massive investment that was ever required in each of these season, just a little tweak to keep the ship sailing.

Currently the ship is sailing like it has done around this time of the year in the last three years, but where are the potential weaknesses that could see us miss out.

weaknesses
1) Left back. This is has been evident this season with teams constantly hammering down the left hand flank .Rose was missing for more than 2 months that ultimately lead to us having to shift our first choice central defender to left back. Paradoxically weakening our defence. This cannot happen again and no I do not believe eziekel is the solution.

2) Central defence: As much as I like the guy, Dawson is piss poor at reading the game at times.Despite having those problems at leftback, a fair share of our goals have come from Dawson's mistakes.Now ideally we should have four central defenders ( especially if our ambition is to still compete in europe). At the moment we have only two, one is returning and the fouth (kaboul) is perpetually injured.So maybe we can not let the shit hit the fan again and not have a repeat of the liverpool 5-0 and man city 6-0 where our defences were injury ridden.

3)Goals: Adebayor is scoring goals but will it continue?, I am not convinced by Soldado and I cannot see his season getting any better so what is the plan B if he (Ade) gets injured?.Where will the goals come from?I think this is the last of our concerns because we always find a way to score at least one goal and i think sorting out our defensive issues is cheaper and can be done in the 10 days we have left.

If we at least hit one of these three obvious problems, then we will have a much better chance of top 4 .
Rather than romanticizing and making why we failed ambigious and spursy levy should apply the patch now.,Sherwood is actually right about one thing he said. It is not only formations that win games but players, you aren't going to win piss all if your squad is so thin in key areas.

If nothing is done this window then the only logically thing to do is not sell capoue and keep him as our 4th choice central defender.O
Well over to you levy.

Note: Apoligies if I sound condecending, the tone of this writing is more directed at our daniel levy and co rather than the forum.
Agree by and large - we should not sell anyone under any circumstances, especially from the new arrivals - that is preposterous.

LB is covered by Verts and we are stocked to the brim in the middle / wide

The only position we could consider a reasonable investment (or a 'tweak' as you mention) would be a forward now that Defoe is gone.

If he plays now with the service available he'll start scoring a few like Ade,

This thing is, he hasnt.....and its not the service anymore.

He's never on the endo of anything, or squander's his chances when they come. I got time for the guy though and hope he follows the pattern of "shit first season = goes onto be legend" rather than "one season wonder".

This window, we really do need a striker now though, I agree with the OP.
Id like to see Kane given a run (is he on loan or injured by the way)

The decision to let Defoe leave at that stage of the season is bizarre to say the least and he needs to be replaced by a long term signing.

Berbatov this window = Saha the other year

Its always a difficult one when you sign players to cover injuries....do you go all out, or go with just competent?
The January window is a tough one to get top players, so dont see much joy in boosting our CB situation...just have to be lucky with injury progress I think.

LB is a should be a must, but again, I doubt we will see one signed.

Hopefully Tim can get BAE back of his pal

He really, really isn't and never has been throughout his Spurs career. As soon as Jan is fit he will start ahead of him and rightly so.

Dawson is overrated as well as underrated. He is a good solid player, with alot of heart and talent but with big limitations.

Vlad is already a starter for me, and as you say Vertonghen walks into the side.

Will be interesting to see how TS deals with our CBs.....he has a strong connection with grafter's and "club people". Personally, I think Vlad will be the sacrificial lamb, which will be the wrong decision.

Dawson Verts is the right cb pair. They compliment each other. Vlad will be the next Verts but his inexperience ATM doesn't help with Dawson. You need a lump of a cb (Dawson) and a cultured cb (Verts) imo.

A lb is the priority for me. It could be that Rose needs a consistent left mid in front of him. Getting an understanding of when to bomb or when to hold back have really made Lennon and Walker first choice even though there maybe some players individually better than Lennon.

In terms of strikers, I would love Lamela to play off the striker. I maybe seeing something that's not there but would love to see him do well.

There is a left back who has continued to impress in the Premier League, who might well be available; Ben Davies at Swansea.

Every time I have seen him play his positioning is good, reading of the game good and ability to help in attack is also good. So; good.

There is a left back who has continued to impress in the Premier League, who might well be available; Ben Davies at Swansea.

Every time I have seen him play his positioning is good, reading of the game good and ability to help in attack is also good. So; good.
The fact that they've got Neil Taylor there might make 'em more willing to sell.

Have my reservations about signing a young, welsh left back tho

He's good and would be a decent signing, but he isn't a whole lot better than what we already have in all honesty. We would be best served getting BAE back from his loan and using him as back up/ competition to Rose.

I know it was only one game, but he was pretty terrible Sunday. See our 2nd goal.

I know it was only one game, but he was pretty terrible Sunday. See our 2nd goal.

I thought, in the first half especially, he was very good. The second goal doesn't look good but at 20 years of age he has time to improve...and I can't imagine him costing a great deal despite his HG status.

It's OK, I've formed my (favourable) opinion of Bony based on the same ONE game!

Then again, we only signed Ruel Fox 'cos he had a blinder against us ONCE...
...and look how that turned out!
:ossie::avbshock::harryhmm:

I thought, in the first half especially, he was very good. The second goal doesn't look good but at 20 years of age he has time to improve...and I can't imagine him costing a great deal despite his HG status.

We got in behind their full backs time and time again. Generally I think he's been solid for them and offers a threat going forward, but don't think he'd be that much of an upgrade on Rose, if he was even an upgrade at all.

I still don't overly rate rose, and think that he has had shocking work rate to get back after going forwards at times, when when were under the cosh. Personally I don't see him being our long term LB and he worries me

Back
Top Bottom