The transfer window: A strategic perspective

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So currently we are sitting joint top 4th with liverpool, Nonetheless,how many times have we been in this position in january after 22 games?

• we were fourth last season (2012-13).
  • we were third the season before that (2011-12)
  • fourth the season before that (2010-11)
  • And indeed the historic season we actually qualified for the champions league we were 4th after 22 games.

Like I said in previous post we have been here before.Now to keep it simple to win games you need to score goals and not concede them.The common narrative of the last three-four years has been one of falling short in both departments and a failure to address this problem.

• ie: 2012-13, we needed a striker when Adebayor went missing ( failed solution :Holtby)
  • ie:2011-12, we needed a decent defender when ledleys kings knees gave in (Failed solution:Saha &Nelsen)
  • ie:2010-11, we needed a decent striker. (failed solution: steven pienaar)

Over the last three years we have finished on 72 ,69 and 62 points. Yes indeed we can call that progress but what is more disturbing at how close behind Woolwich we finished, one point behind in the last two years and six in the 3rd. So this tells me that's it is not a massive investment that was ever required in each of these season, just a little tweak to keep the ship sailing.

Currently the ship is sailing like it has done around this time of the year in the last three years, but where are the potential weaknesses that could see us miss out.

weaknesses
1) Left back. This is has been evident this season with teams constantly hammering down the left hand flank .Rose was missing for more than 2 months that ultimately lead to us having to shift our first choice central defender to left back. Paradoxically weakening our defence. This cannot happen again and no I do not believe eziekel is the solution.

2) Central defence: As much as I like the guy, Dawson is piss poor at reading the game at times.Despite having those problems at leftback, a fair share of our goals have come from Dawson's mistakes.Now ideally we should have four central defenders ( especially if our ambition is to still compete in europe). At the moment we have only two, one is returning and the fouth (kaboul) is perpetually injured.So maybe we can not let the shit hit the fan again and not have a repeat of the liverpool 5-0 and man city 6-0 where our defences were injury ridden.

3)Goals: Adebayor is scoring goals but will it continue?, I am not convinced by Soldado and I cannot see his season getting any better so what is the plan B if he (Ade) gets injured?.Where will the goals come from?I think this is the last of our concerns because we always find a way to score at least one goal and i think sorting out our defensive issues is cheaper and can be done in the 10 days we have left.

If we at least hit one of these three obvious problems, then we will have a much better chance of top 4 .
Rather than romanticizing and making why we failed ambigious and spursy levy should apply the patch now.,Sherwood is actually right about one thing he said. It is not only formations that win games but players, you aren't going to win piss all if your squad is so thin in key areas.

If nothing is done this window then the only logically thing to do is not sell capoue and keep him as our 4th choice central defender.O
Well over to you levy.

Note: Apoligies if I sound condecending, the tone of this writing is more directed at our daniel levy and co rather than the forum.

3)Goals: Adebayor is scoring goals but will it continue?, I am not convinced by Soldado and I cannot see his season getting any better so what is the plan B if he (Ade) gets injured?.Where will the goals come from?I think this is the last of our concerns because we always find a way to score at least one goal and i think sorting out our defensive issues is cheaper and can be done in the 10 days we have left.
I think Soldado isn't scoring due to the lack of service under AVB's regime that led to a plummet in morale. If he plays now with the service available he'll start scoring a few like Ade, being that he is played as the main striker and not deeper or wider.

I think Soldado isn't scoring due to the lack of service under AVB's regime that led to a plummet in morale. If he plays now with the service available he'll start scoring a few like Ade, being that he is played as the main striker and not deeper or wider.

That's one way to view, the other is that he lacks the strength and ability to hold up the ball to ever play as a lone striker. He has been given the service from the wide players but consistenly fails to convert. Another thing I have noticed is that he simply isn't fast enough to position himself adequately at the end of crosses from Lennon and Townsend..He has only ever looked threatning in 4-4-2, so that limits our tactics playing with him

I agree with a lot of this, but in those seasons past we simply did not have a squad as deep as this one, and were far too reliant on specific sources for goals. That's somewhat becoming the case with Ade, but nowhere close to where it was in seasons past. I do agree that the defense needs to be addressed, but I don't think we have as glaring of an individual need as we've needed in recent years.

we need another keeper, a LB/utility defender and a striker.
so far.
Daws is our best CB so I don't get this singling him out, again. He has played more prem games than anyone else for us this season, AFAIK. that's how important our captain has been to us.

I'd be happy to get a CB in as cover for Daws and maybe to replace Vlad, though he's doing pretty well I'd say

Daws is our best CB so I don't get this singling him out, again.

He's played the most games because everyone else has picked up injuries. I love the bloke for his passion, but quite simply Dawson is not our best CB at all, Chiriches was continually getting him out of trouble on Sunday.

I want to see Vertonghen alongside Chiriches. Can't rely on Kaboul to stay fit so I think these two would sure us up, especially against the top sides.

So currently we are sitting joint top 4th with liverpool, Nonetheless,how many times have we been in this position in january after 22 games?

• And indeed the historic season we actually qualified for the champions league we were 4th after 22 games.
Like I said in previous post we have been here before.Now to keep it simple to win games you need to score goals and not concede them.The common narrative of the last three-four years has been one of falling short in both departments and a failure to address this problem.

• ie: 2012-13, we needed a striker when Adebayor went missing ( failed solution :Holtby)
  • ie:2011-12, we needed a decent defender when ledleys kings knees gave in (Failed solution:Saha &Nelsen)
Over the last three years we have finished on 72 ,69 and 62 points. Yes indeed we can call that progress but what is more disturbing at how close behind Woolwich we finished, one point behind in the last two years and six in the 3rd. So this tells me that's it is not a massive investment that was ever required in each of these season, just a little tweak to keep the ship sailing.

Currently the ship is sailing like it has done around this time of the year in the last three years, but where are the potential weaknesses that could see us miss out.

weaknesses
1) Left back. This is has been evident this season with teams constantly hammering down the left hand flank .Rose was missing for more than 2 months that ultimately lead to us having to shift our first choice central defender to left back. Paradoxically weakening our defence. This cannot happen again and no I do not believe eziekel is the solution.

2) Central defence: As much as I like the guy, Dawson is piss poor at reading the game at times.Despite having those problems at leftback, a fair share of our goals have come from Dawson's mistakes.Now ideally we should have four central defenders ( especially if our ambition is to still compete in europe). At the moment we have only two, one is returning and the fouth (kaboul) is perpetually injured.So maybe we can not let the shit hit the fan again and not have a repeat of the liverpool 5-0 and man city 6-0 where our defences were injury ridden.

If we at least hit one of these three obvious problems, then we will have a much better chance of top 4 .
Rather than romanticizing and making why we failed ambigious and spursy levy should apply the patch now.,Sherwood is actually right about one thing he said. It is not only formations that win games but players, you aren't going to win piss all if your squad is so thin in key areas.

If nothing is done this window then the only logically thing to do is not sell capoue and keep him as our 4th choice central defender.O
Well over to you levy.

Note: Apoligies if I sound condecending, the tone of this writing is more directed at our daniel levy and co rather than the forum.
This was a good read.

We are always going to have issues with defenders. We're Tottenham Hotspur, we're always going to ship goals here and there. No amount of money is going to fix that. We sorted it out at the start of the season, but as we all saw, it affected the rest of our play.

I'm still very unsure about strikers. We have good goal scoring potentials in our midfielders and more than enough people who can provide the goals. We have Kane and Defoe (until March), plus I refuse to believe that Soldado is going to be shit for the remainder of the season. I don't know what system he played in for Valencia, but we all know what he is capable of. Once he gets one from open play, I think that the flood gates will open. Not Man City style, but just as good.

He's played the most games because everyone else has picked up injuries. I love the bloke for his passion, but quite simply Dawson is not our best CB at all, Chiriches was continually getting him out of trouble on Sunday.

I want to see Vertonghen alongside Chiriches. Can't rely on Kaboul to stay fit so I think these two would sure us up, especially against the top sides.
Who takes over captain duties if Dawson gets dropped for a Chiriches - Vertonghen partnership?

weaknesses

Well over to you levy.

Thing is it depends on how ruthless you are, I like holtby and siggy for example but if it's just about results here is what I would do.

Sell siggy, soldado, Dawson, Kabul, holtby, chadli and freyers.
Kabul only because of his knees. Buy lescott for cheap, draxler, benteke, and coentreo and our imagine out squad, would be able to complete with anyone.

However I respect Dawson and co to much to want to do that because of his years of service but if you had no feelings.

Thing is it depends on how ruthless you are, I like holtby and siggy for example but if it's just about results here is what I would do.
Kabul only because of his knees. Buy lescott for cheap, draxler, benteke, and coentreo and our imagine out squad, would be able to complete with anyone.

However I respect Dawson and co to much to want to do that because of his years of service but if you had no feelings.
Good on you son! Did you manage to get these players in FM14? :harryhmm:

Good point however trifficTotnum. But something tells me that TS can ( Windy back me up son! ) use the likes of Alex Smith, Kane and The Serbian boy Veljkovic, however are these youngsters terrific enough?

Last edited:
Daws is our best CB

I'd be happy to get a CB in as cover for Daws and maybe to replace Vlad

PiU9EPAyBQW.png

Kabul only because of his knees. Buy lescott for cheap, draxler, benteke, and coentreo and our imagine out squad, would be able to complete with anyone

Buy Reus, Cavani and get Bale back, I bet we will win all the games
if it didn't work, then Levy should "Rage quit"
bale-grin.png

Bollocks to strategy, just throw some cash at some players who are good on Football Manager and all will be fine.

:troll:
Will huges..fella from..derby?
Vydra? Doria? Aubameyang? Pogba? Volland?
Oh and some realistic ones like messi and ronaldo.

Good on you son! Did you manage to get these players in FM14? :harryhmm:

Good point however trifficTotnum. But something tells me that TS can ( Windy back me up son! ) use the likes of Alex Smith, Kane and The Serbian boy Veljkovic, however are these youngsters terrific enough?

I'm sure Velj has gone out on loan?

Back
Top Bottom