The Bane of Your Life vs Newcastle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't necessarily disagree with your assertion about being more offensive. To be honest, I would prefer if we went 4-4-2 at home against poorer teams and just gambled on the fact we could outscore them. I also would be find with playing Bentaleb or Dembele next to Mason. I just don't think of Mason as a defensive first player.
I think he is just an all rounder...
We have been screaming out for an all rounded midfield player, that's why he is fitting the pivot so well next to Capoue.

He may have grown up as a #10, but he does not join the attack as much as I wish he would . Not saying he is bad - he has great defensive positioning, passes quickly. On the occasion that he does get forward, he has had or created chances. But if both Capoue & Mason start - then I hope that Mason pushes forward more and deeper in the attack.

I'm sure I remember Mason being in or near the box with pretty much every single attack we had at City?

This, for me, is a must win game. Need to get back to winning and not just accepting a draw or a "well we played well and lost." fuck that shit.

No Soldado. No Paulinho. And no Mason. There. I said it.

Dembele and Capoue. If Dembele cannot produce-bench till January sale. Stromboli in for Capoue at the '65.

If either of them start it has to be their last chance to prove something otherwise they need to go immediately.
Go where? The transfer window is closed...

I don't think we can afford to just give up on £43m worth of investment based on a definitive 90 minutes. Soldado played well against City, I'm not sure why a penalty miss = he had a bad game. We need to give the bloke a run in the team. 6 or 7 games, a similar 3 behind him, so he can build an understanding. I genuinely believe he will start to get goals, even though I don't think he is capable of replicating his Valencia form in England.

Pauli...the bloke is so frustrating, but he did get us goals last season which is something our midfielders don't contribute enough of. Problem is he doesn't offer enough during the game to warrant starting him with the hope he'll snatch a goal.

I'd like to see Dembele start to be honest. Play Mason on thursday for me.

[formation=4231, Hugo, Dier, Kab, Jan, Rose, Capoue, Moose, Erik, Eriksen, Andros, Bobby][/formation]

A contentious one is Townsend. I'd like to see him start a game on the left, encouraging him to stay wide and put balls in the box rather than cutting in and threatening the lives of those in Row Z. Bobby gets in the box and if the delivery is good enough he will pop them on target.

I'm going 2-1.

Bobby
Kane (sub)
Sissoko

Kane will be playing Thursday night probably. If he does, expect Adebayor to start v Newcastle.
-------------------Lloris
Dier ----- Kaboul----- Vertonghen------- Rose
--------Mason --------------------Capoue
Lamela----------- Eriksen ------------------Chadli
------------ ------Adebayor

I would like to see Chadli on the bench for this game and Soldado starting at No10 position, Eriksen on the left, with Kane up front. Soldado and Kane could swap and give them much more to worry about than a static Adebayor.
I would even be happy with Soldado up front and Lennon instead of Chadli, then Lamela and Lennon could swap wings.
From what I have seen I feel that Lamela, Soldado, Eriksen, Lennon and Kane have a good understanding of each other. More so than with Adebayor and Chadli.
I also feel that Soldado would be better suited to that position and benefit from playing with another striker.
Don't think that's ever going to happen though

As long as Dier is standing his ground as RB, we need a wide player who will stay there. No more Eriksen and Lamela out there.

I'd be tempted to drop Lamela for either of Lennon or Townsend. We simply need to create natural width, and Dier is no Kyle Walker.

On what planet should Paulinho start?

You earn you chances and he has done nothing to earn it.
According to this logic we should play the same 11 every week because no one else would have the chance to prove themselves. You don't need to score a hat-trick to earn a spot, imv

Last edited:
According to this logic we should play the same 11 ever week because no one else would have the chance to prove themselves. You don't need to score a hat-trick to earn a spot, imv

Come on mate, we play midweek almost every week. It is the perfect opportunity for players to force their way into contention for the league.

Mason has done it. Kane is there or there a bouts as well. Paulinho is no where near deserving of the 1st team right now.

Come on mate, we play midweek almost every week. It is the perfect opportunity for players to force their way into contention for the league.

Mason has done it. Kane is there or there a bouts as well. Paulinho is no where near deserving of the 1st team right now.
Mason scored one wonder goal as a sub. I would argue even Kane has earned a spot ahead of him. Is there an agenda against Brazilians - Sandro sold and Paulinho frozen? Lamela has done fuck all this season to date but keeps getting picked for example

Last edited:
Mason scored one wonder goal as a sub. I would argue even Kane has earned a spot ahead of him. Is there an agenda against Brazilians - Sandro sold and Pailinho frozen? Lamela has done fuck all this season to date but keeps getting picked for example

I don't pick the team, but would be happy for Lamela to start thursday and Kane come in for Newcastle. Mason scored yeah, but he came on and changed the game. Forward passing, closing the play down and have an all round great game.

Paulinho has talent. But until he starts demonstrating that in the Europa / cups then he just won't start. It is unfair on those playing well.

Am I really seeing people considering dropping Mason for Paulinho?
:pochfacepalm:

Theatricality and deception. Powerful agents to the uninitiated. But we are initiated. Aren't we?

2965391-tumblr_static_the-dark-knight-rises-and-bane-get-high-marks.jpg

This is the Bane of our lives.

Pochettino admits Spurs are in a ‘tough period’ but hints at something special in the future
07:30 23 October 2014

Head coach Mauricio Pochettino accepts Tottenham are going through a “very tough period”, but believes something special is in the offing - with silverware not too far away.

The past few seasons have been turbulent at White Hart Lane, thanks in no small part to the club’s frantic search for a return to the Champions League.

Harry Redknapp departed little more than a year on from taking Spurs to the quarter-final stage of the competition, while successors Andre Villas-Boas and Tim Sherwood paid for their inability to secure qualification.

Pochettino, though, is not under the same pressure to secure immediate Champions League football, with the five-year deal handed to him in the summer by chairman Daniel Levy highlighting a longer-term focus.

“I have enjoyed my four months at Tottenham,” Pochettino said, despite Saturday’s 4-1 defeat at Manchester City. “We knew when we signed for Tottenham that we expected a tough period.

“We are in a very tough period in the club, but when you arrive to a club with big potential like Tottenham, a big club, and have the possibility to build something important, this is a very good challenge for us.

“I enjoy, but I try to enjoy it more than I am. I am aware of the results.”

Pochettino is confident that the players’ mentality is slowly coming into line with his philosophy, while they are also beginning to reach the fitness levels expected of them.

It took up to six months to achieve that at former club Southampton - a side he led to their best-ever Premier League finish last term - and the Argentinian reckons the “club have moved on a lot” since his summer arrival.

“It’s impossible for me to speak about previous managers, the previous philosophies, previous ideas,” Pochettino said.

“Two seasons ago, Gareth Bale was here and the club sold him for £100million - now he is not here, there’s no Luka Modric and I don’t know. You have a different challenge or different target or objective.

“Now it is different. The club is different - the club takes another way. I have a clear idea from the club, from the board, and I agree and we need to build something special and Tottenham want to build something special.

“No better, no worse than before - different. We need time and to work hard and it is for that I am here.”

It is work Pochettino is convinced will bring with it trophies.

The 2008 League Cup was Spurs’ most recent success, but they are fighting it out on four fronts this season, including the Europa League - a competition they continue on Thursday evening with a Group C encounter at home to Asteras Tripolis.

“I am sure that in the end we achieve something important,” Pochettino said. “Maybe in six months, maybe in one year, or maybe in two years.

“But I am sure that the club, in the end, will achieve a very important trophy.”

http://www.london24.com/sport/footb..._at_something_special_in_the_future_1_3817142

Back
Top Bottom