The Bane of Your Life vs Newcastle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My team for Newcastle would be:

Lloris

Rose
Vertonghen
Kaboul
Naughton/Dier

Mason
Capoue
Eriksen
Lamela

Kane
Soldado

It might not work, it certainly won't be picked but fuck it.

I think the only place in the team that is really up for debate is striker. I would play the same team that started against city with perhaps Naughton taking Dier's place if he is fit. Lamela had a bad game but keep him in it form now, he has only played 8 games so far. Mason gives us a nice link between defence and attack that no other midfielder seems capable of doing at the moment.

Adebayor is our most 'senior' striker and naturally has started in the league all season because of this, whether he deserves this spot is widely argued as he has divided opinion so far this season. His hold up play is good and he is creating chances, for example, he did well to create the goal against Southampton. On the other hand has only scored one league goal so far.

Soldado played well against City if you ignore the penalty (as they said on the podcast; Aguero also missed a penalty that game). I enjoy watching him bring others into the game, I would like to see him start more games with Eriksen, Chadli and Lamela. Same problem as Adebayor, not many goals so far. As long as the team is scoring goals I am not too bothered about this.

Kane is the future, his performances have earned him the chance to play in the league side. On current form he is our best striker, he scores and creates goals. There is the risk of if we played Kane and he didn't perform Pochettino could come under some criticism for not starting Adebayor or our 26m striker, Soldado. I would like to see him given a run in the league but there is plenty of opportunities in the future.

I would quite like to see Soldado starting in the league, letting him have a run of games playing with Eriksen, Chadli, Lamela. Then in the Europa league and other cup games play Kane in the 'Chadli' role and Adebayor upfront.

tl;dr
I am not sure how I wrote so much, seemed like a quick point to make initially.

[formation=4231, Kane, Dier, fazio, Jan, Davies, Capoue, Mason, Lamela, Eriksen, chadli, Lloris][/formation]

Wouldn't mind seeing this line up against Newcastle full on spurs.

I want
lloris
dier Fazio verts rose
dembele capoue
lamela kane eriksen
soldado

will prob get
lloris
dier kab verts rose
mason capoue
lamela eriksen chadli
soldado (may be kane though)

Things I would like to see on Sunday
1) a more assured defence (Vertonghen being part of that defence)
2) Our play not being so narrow all the time, or if it is then for our full backs to be more advanced (this does allow us to be hit on the break if the two holding midfielders fall asleep)
3) Goals. League goals - and from our strikers.

Lloris
Dier, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Rose
Capoue, Mason
Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli
Soldado

Would like to see Paulinho instead of Lamela, but we all know I wont, and ya'll with ridicule me for it.

Lloris
Dier, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Rose
Capoue, Mason
Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli
Soldado

Would like to see Paulinho instead of Lamela, but we all know I wont, and ya'll with ridicule me for it.
Why Paulinho over Lamela if you don't mind me asking? I don't see Paulinho being at spurs long but who would take him.
I agree with your starting 11 but Kane instead or Soldado which won't happen :(

Wish there was a way we could crowbar Kane and Soldado in the same team without loosing one of Chadli, Lamela or Eriksen or sacrificing two holding midfielders (Capoue and Mason).

Team is shaping up in my opinion. Good times.

Wish there was a way we could crowbar Kane and Soldado in the same team without loosing one of Chadli, Lamela or Eriksen or sacrificing two holding midfielders (Capoue and Mason).

Team is shaping up in my opinion. Good times.

The fact we have 4 attacking positions which 5 players are impressing in (Soldado was decent at city so fuck you) is a good thing.

We usually have to pick the least shit 4 to play.

Can't believe someone has mentioned Paulinho!

Lloris
Dier - Kaboul - JV - Rose
Capoue - Eriksen
Lamela - Kane - Chadli
Solado

Maybe Stambouli in for Capoue if it's deemed a 26 year old fit male can't play 3 days after playing 90 mins in a low intensity Europa League game! Unlucky for Mason but I think after the pen miss last week we need to stick by Bobby and Kane must come in for someone. Chadli's been good this season & Lamela will be buzzing after the Rabona. Eriksen is a bit lightweight to play in the 2 I'm sure you will say, but we have to be brave and daring in games at home rather than drab and boring like we so often are!

Why Paulinho over Lamela if you don't mind me asking? I don't see Paulinho being at spurs long but who would take him.
I agree with your starting 11 but Kane instead or Soldado which won't happen :(

Lamela out, even though he's a great player, because:
- He started the EL game
- He struggled against City
- His performances in the league has been dropping
- He has given away goals, costing us points in several games
- The defensive mistakes, and a lack of offensive impact, is costing him confidence
- He needs positive experiences, isn't getting that in the PL at the moment

That being said, I don't mind if he plays. In my opinion we have 16+ players that deserves to start every game.

But more importantly, Paulinho in because:
- I haven't given up on him yet
- He's quality
- He must be given a chance to play with a team that can play to his strengths
- With Eriksen and Soldado you have players there who are great at taking advantage of good movement through good visjon and quick heads
- I think Newcastles defence is voulnerable to dynamic attacking play
- Paulinho is a dynamic player, and will give us more movement in the box against a team we need to score more than one goal against
- We need to give the guy a chance

Should probably get to play his games away from WHL though..

Back
Top Bottom