Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Article summary for those who can't access:

a) Kane staying; City & United out of race
b) CAM targeted; Eriksen or Tielemans being considered atm.
c) 2 defenders targeted (presumably LCB and RWB?)
d) Back up CF targeted
e) Back up GK targeted; we're currently frontrunners for Johnstone
That is the list that 99 per cent of us would put together.

In terms of the CAM; I'd be happy with Eriksen on a free, but if we are to pay £20M for Tielemans... I'd prefer that money to be spent on upgrading Reguilon to Angelino or Winks to Bissouma.
Agree completely. Our chance creation/goals scored under Conte is respectable. What we lack is defensive solidity, and control of the game over 90 mins. We either lose 1-0 or 3-2, this is the sign of a team which plays chaos-ball, not conteball.

Our first priority must be the back line, and a CM who is physically strong and doesn't lose the ball, so we don't get overrun for the first half every other game. Tielemans is not that

Skipp and PEH would be the partners for Bentancur and A.N.Other in the middle. If Bissouma was brought in I guess PEH would leave.
Conte wants to play a 2 man midfield.

As far as I can see, PEH could be a good backup, but never the starter. The starter would be Bissouma + 1. The +1 could be Bentancur against weaker sides, but IMO against stronger sides it must be Skipp.

Agree completely. Our chance creation/goals scored under Conte is respectable. What we lack is defensive solidity, and control of the game over 90 mins. We either lose 1-0 or 3-2, this is the sign of a team which plays chaos-ball, not conteball.

Our first priority must be the back line, and a CM who is physically strong and doesn't lose the ball, so we don't get overrun for the first half every other game. Tielemans is not that
I think to say we lack defensive solidity is a bit harsh; but you're right that out midfield sometimes cannot control games.
In terms of chance creation, I think we're too reliant on our front 3 and don't get enough from WBs. This means we can sometimes be neutralised quite easily (although if our front 3 do get time and space... they can crush oppositions).

This is why I'd prefer upgrading our LWB, CM positions; instead of a new LCB, CAM, back up CF. (RWB is obvious)

Manchester City have agreed personal terms with Borussia Dortmund and Norway striker Erling Braut Haaland, 21. (Mail)

City are poised to trigger the £62m release clause in Haaland's contract (Sky Sports)

Real Madrid are reluctant to meet Haaland's wage demands because they do not want to unsettle their dressing room of stars by making the striker the highest-paid player in the squad. (Goal)

:(
Only way we keep Kane (happy), is this, no?

If Haaland signs for Madrid or Barca, Pep goes after H and we get a horrible summer…

I think to say we lack defensive solidity is a bit harsh; but you're right that out midfield sometimes cannot control games.
In terms of chance creation, I think we're too reliant on our front 3 and don't get enough from WBs. This means we can sometimes be neutralised quite easily (although if our front 3 do get time and space... they can crush oppositions).

This is why I'd prefer upgrading our LWB, CM positions; instead of a new LCB, CAM, back up CF. (RWB is obvious)
I still think LCB is a criticial role in conte's system but I agree in general. LWB, RWB, and a top CM who can be the protagonist, like Bissouma, are basically mandatory requirements to consider it a successful summer window.

CAM, backup CF etc. are secondary but still necessary.

Only way we keep Kane (happy), is this, no?

If Haaland signs for Madrid or Barca, Pep goes after H and we get a horrible summer…
Barca is more or less out of the race for Haaland (I doubt they have the finances) and Real M. will be after Mbappe, but they won't mind to keep on playing Benzema upfront.

Barca is more or less out of the race for Haaland (I doubt they have the finances) and Real M. will be after Mbappe, but they won't mind to keep on playing Benzema upfront.
Benzema is why no Haaland, he fits Mbappe from right, Vinicius left. Plus is playing total football, complete 9.

Do think PSG would go for Kane, should Poch stay n Mbappe go, would give much better structure to them, with Messi RWF n Neymar LWF notionally. Though he’d rightly tell them to jog on, if he has sense of course.

Skipp and PEH would be the partners for Bentancur and A.N.Other in the middle. If Bissouma was brought in I guess PEH would leave.

Why would he leave? A CL team needs a strong selection of midfielders. At top clubs there are good players on the bench. Liverpool and City could not get so close to winning quadruples I’d they did not have such a strong set of midfielders to rotate.

Why would he leave? A CL team needs a strong selection of midfielders. At top clubs there are good players on the bench. Liverpool and City could not get so close to winning quadruples I’d they did not have such a strong set of midfielders to rotate.
I think that Skipp, Bissouma, Bentancur, Hojbjerg plus another attacking midfielder is probably too many central midfielders if we are going to play a front 3 with Kane dropping back as well.
That money could be better used to strengthen somewhere else.

* edit ... Just my opinion obviously.

Last edited:
Will put this here, for the record.

Haaland will get a significant injury by mid-point of first season, they will accelerate and/or he will lose explosive ability and turn into a good finisher but little more, by 2seasons in.

Married At First Sight Lol GIF by Lifetime

(not wishing injury, simply financial Karma on City)

I think that Skipp, Bissouma, Bentancur, Hojbjerg plus another attacking midfielder is probably too many central midfielders if we are going to play a front 3 with Kane dropping back as well.
That money could be better used to strengthen somewhere else.

If that AM is Eriksen on a freebie that concern is eradicated.

Back
Top Bottom