Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need a right back. One that maybe isn't as good going forward but has recovery pace and better defensive skills.

I think we may need a left-footed centre back.

And I think we need Vaclav Cerny, since Nabil Fekir ain't happening.

In my opinion, if we end up signing nobody because that is well analysed decision post evaluating the squad and what has been seen in training, I will be absolutely ok with that. But if the season ends up being disappointing, then I will blame the management and coaching for that decision, because they took a risk which didnt pay off. I understand both the points of view in the argument that is happening among Spurs fans. However, if we do end up signing someone late in the window (as expected), that's something that has always been a problem for Spurs.

Go back to several seasons in the past, where we started the seasons bad, made a few signings and eventually started picking up form after dropping points in the beginning few games. Happened with Sissoko, Dembele, Stambouli, Dempsey etc who were late signings. My point is, after a decision is made to sign players, it better be done early in the summer to help with the team start prepared. We finished 5th on 2-3 seasons, missing fourth by a point to Woolwich when we signed Dembele and Dempsey late in the summer and had already dropped 6 points through 3 draws in the first few games that we should be winning. We missed out on Moutinho because we moved on deadline day. The season before, we signed Adebayor late in the summer with Parker, after getting trounced in the first two games against city and united. We finished fourth and lost the CL spot due to Chelsea. One point from the first two games would have been a huge difference. And who can remember the season we signed Pav so late and we know how that season started. Same mistake again and again and again.

If you think Spurs have absolutely nobody realistic available that can be signed to improve the squad, you are delusional. If you say that signing a player will stop an academy prospect getting through, boo hoo, welcome to the real world.

If we end up making signings this summer, it is again disappointing that the club has left the business to the very end despite it costing the club again and again in the past. And another thing that is missing is, despite the squad doing really really well, an exciting summer signing elevates the mood in the club. The fans are excited.

Imagine we sign Kovacic, how many fans would lose their shit at the excitement of seeing an established star come to Spurs? And while I love the fact that we are giving youngsters an opportunity, it should not be at the risk of never signing good players who can make the team better this season! We have hit the jackpot with Poch, imagine we signed someone other than Sissoko earlier last season who had a preseason with Spurs. What difference that might have made!

We've got the best starting XI/XII in the country,

It played together twice last season. Even if they all stay fit they wont all be able to play 50 games. I presume you want to see us make a decent fist of the four competitions we're in?

Now, what "Marquee signings" are going to be happy with a place on the bench?

Forget the stupid expression "marquee signing" and think "quality signing". Not "good prospect" in other words. Are they going to be happy with a place on the bench? Probably, they are at other clubs. If, for example, Eriksen gets injured or has a bad spell form-wise, then we want to see a Barkley-type rather than an Onomah-type, with all due respect to young Josh. Ditto Trippier.

Who would you drop...
Injured or out-of-form players. Or players who need a rest for a midweek European game of FA Cup tie. As happens at all other top clubs.

Anyone we buy has to be a squad player...
All of them, 1-25, are a squad players

I've had enough of this "WE'VE GOTTA BUY SOMEONE.....ANYONE!!!!!'

Except no one has ever (seriously) said that. See "quality signing" above

I think you're experiencing what Woolwich fans are experiencing when Wilshere is about to return. Lamela isn't all that and is one of our most replaceable players
Nb31rD.gif

2. Chelsea and west brom. Jan got injured about halfway through the west brom match

So we can't say we have best XI in the country and we don't need to sign especially after all top 6 team have strengthened their squads.

Let's hope Lamela and Rose are back soon ads Sissoko comes good season and Janssen too.

Q. How many games did our best XI start last season?

Very few. So you would think that chances are we should be a bit luckier with injuries this season?

I dont think we are carrying a team of injury prone players. Bar maybe Dembele and Lamela. They are mostly young and incredibly fit. We have more versatility in our squad than any other team in the league. Players tactically proficient in multiple positions and multiple formations.

It played together twice last season. Even if they all stay fit they wont all be able to play 50 games. I presume you want to see us make a decent fist of the four competitions we're in?

Forget the stupid expression "marquee signing" and think "quality signing". Not "good prospect" in other words. Are they going to be happy with a place on the bench? Probably, they are at other clubs. If, for example, Eriksen gets injured or has a bad spell form-wise, then we want to see a Barkley-type rather than an Onomah-type, with all due respect to young Josh. Ditto Trippier.

Injured or out-of-form players. Or players who need a rest for a midweek European game of FA Cup tie. As happens at all other top clubs.

All of them, 1-25, are a squad players

Except no one has ever (seriously) said that. See "quality signing" above
I called it marquee signing because that's what he called it. re the rest of your post, I dont think we disagree on much, if anything at all.

So we can't say we have best XI in the country and we don't need to sign especially after all top 6 team have strengthened their squads.
How does the number of games they played together have any baring on whether we can say our first choice 11 is the best in the country?

What I assume u mean is having the best 11 isn't enough and we need to have the best (or at least a better) squad.

Don't think anyone could argue with that.

Anyone think we should be after Renato Sanches? Seems a perfect player for poch to develop, not overly expensive in the current market. They're talking 35m. Massive potential

If we have a chance we have to sign him. Simple.

Even simpler however is that we probably don't have a chance.

I've noticed plenty of you are using the phrase "strengthening" in context of other teams transfers.

Seems to be massively assumptive. Most teams are replacing players, or making signings that are unproven. City and Arse (for example) didn't "strengthen" this time last year - they ended up making their squad weaker with their faffing

Our 16/17 season is very overrated
you been on the Schnapps?
most goals scored
least conceded
huge points tally, enough to have won the PL in other years
nearly 100% home record
including some of the best football Ive ever seen

I do know what an overrated season looks like. 2005-06 when we got 5th. Only 2 really good performances in the whole PL season. Lost 1st matches in League and FA cup (inc at Grimsby).

Last season the absolute antithesis of that.

Anyone think we should be after Renato Sanches? Seems a perfect player for poch to develop, not overly expensive in the current market. They're talking 35m. Massive potential
Would wages be an issue with him? I know Bayern don't go crazy compared to UK & Spain but still might be out of our structure already.

In terms of potential I think he's got to be worth a shot. As you say, massive potential and he seemed as disappointed as anyone with his performance last season so I think it's probably more to do with being 19 years old at one of the biggest clubs in the world than anything more untoward.

Would wages be an issue with him? I know Bayern don't go crazy compared to UK & Spain but still might be out of our structure already.

In terms of potential I think he's got to be worth a shot. As you say, massive potential and he seemed as disappointed as anyone with his performance last season so I think it's probably more to do with being 19 years old at one of the biggest clubs in the world than anything more untoward.
I watched him during his season with benfica and at the euros, he has a bit of dembele about him with his powerful drives through players and inability to be knocked off the ball. I would love us to get him and let him learn off dembele and poch. If Milan can buy him then can't see why we couldn't.

I watched him during his season with benfica and at the euros, he has a bit of dembele about him with his powerful drives through players and inability to be knocked off the ball. I would love us to get him and let him learn off dembele and poch. If Milan can buy him then can't see why we couldn't.
Yeah, he falls into that "prodigious" category where he'll either turn into the second coming or it'll all fizzle out in piss and vinegar.

To be honest, we've been burnt in the past (Taraabt, Gio etc.) and we're already developing a similar player in Edwards. So he's definitely a risk and the main thing that pulls him out from the crowd is that European winners medal... But with the prices being quoted for Prem players, £35m sounds like a decent punt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom