Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lamela is better than Siggy, he is quicker, stronger, presses better and is probably one of our most technical players. Before his injury issues he was my second favourite attacking player after Kane, he always raises his game against the likes of City and Woolwich and made us fight hard from the front.

I know he has been away for ages but a fully fit Lamela is every bit as good as Eriksen, Kane and Dele. He will be like a new top signing when we get him back. I think a lot of Spurs fan with short memories will be surprised at what we have been missing when he puts the shirt back on.
I think you're experiencing what Woolwich fans are experiencing when Wilshere is about to return. Lamela isn't all that and is one of our most replaceable players

I neither suggested they shouldn't be nowhere near the first team, nor we need to buy bunch of cheap squaddies for covers. I was simply stating my subjective views on current abilities of those youngsters as potential squad players for next season.
So you're saying you want to spend big and buy 15 players? You're not a spurs fan etc etc

If Harry Winks is able to do for 2-3000 minutes this season what he did for 500 minutes last season then Spurs will have found another star player in their Academy. And the fans of other clubs and the media will spend the next 10 years pretending he's a League One-level player at best.
The interesting bit in that hypothetical is if Winks proves capable of maintaining his performance across 1,500-2,000 minutes this season, how does that effect the first eleven?

I assume Dembele would be phased out. It would be ballsy to move on then next summer and sell Dembele, but it'd probably be the last chance to get any return on him. That would sting too, given what he's meant to the club the last few years.

I think you're experiencing what Woolwich fans are experiencing when Wilshere is about to return. Lamela isn't all that and is one of our most replaceable players
By what criteria is Lamela not all that, pray tell? He's a significantly better creative passer than Gylfi and does a lot more defensively, so what does Gylfi actually do better than him?

By what criteria is Lamela not all that, pray tell? He's a significantly better creative passer than Gylfi and does a lot more defensively, so what does Gylfi actually do better than him?

Siggy probably has a better long range shot, I'll give him that but nothing else. Eriksen and Lamela are more than enough for the creative number 10 role.

The interesting bit in that hypothetical is if Winks proves capable of maintaining his performance across 1,500-2,000 minutes this season, how does that effect the first eleven?

I assume Dembele would be phased out. It would be ballsy to move on then next summer and sell Dembele, but it'd probably be the last chance to get any return on him. That would sting too, given what he's meant to the club the last few years.
I think that's a bridge we'll have to cross when we come to it. Personally, I'd be tempted to let Mousa age out gracefully with fewer minutes over the next couple of years as Winks grows, but if you really need to get some cash out of a final transfer for him, then I guess you'd need to sell at the end of next year, assuming Winks does blow up.

Siggy probably has a better long range shot, I'll give him that but nothing else. Eriksen and Lamela are more than enough for the creative number 10 role.
Likely, I just want to hear what he's trying to justify this with. From the eye test and the hard numbers, Lamela does a hell of a lot more good footballing stuff than Gylfi does. Spurs fans have often slated Lamela, but if you start comparing him to other players in the same positions, he is a hell of a lot better than his detractors claim.

Likely, I just want to hear what he's trying to justify this with. From the eye test and the hard numbers, Lamela does a hell of a lot more good footballing stuff than Gylfi does. Spurs fans have often slated Lamela, but if you start comparing him to other players in the same positions, he is a hell of a lot better than his detractors claim.

Like Son he struggled in his first season but he got better and better, along with Kane, Demebele and Toby he is our best big game type player, by which I mean he shines in the fight with top teams like City and Chelsea, that is where he is most potent because of his aggression. He is creative like Eriksen (maybe not as creative) but also has a hard edge. I think his goal scoring could improve a bit and that is perhaps where Son has the advantage.

Gyfli isn't good enough for us, he is a decent footballer who has a special talent for scoring wonder goals but his all round game has issues. The amount of times I used to watch him get bullied out of games just isn't us anymore.

Two seasons ago when Lamela came on against Stoke and was dreadful, and we drew 2-2 I was ready to give up on him. That was the first home game of the season I think. He then went on to have a great season imo. Luckily I ain't the manager, and I'm personally looking forward to seeing him back on the pitch.

Like Son he struggled in his first season but he got better and better, along with Kane, Demebele and Toby he is our best big game type player, by which I mean he shines in the fight with top teams like City and Chelsea, that is where he is most potent because of his aggression. He is creative like Eriksen (maybe not as creative) but also has a hard edge. I think his goal scoring could improve a bit and that is perhaps where Son has the advantage.
Yeah, they're different types of player. Son is what we sort of thought Lamela would be. A very direct wide forward who scores a lot. Lamela, under Pochettino has instead played as a very creative wide presser/violent shit disturber.

With due respect to Lamela, he may create a few chances but he is not ehat Eriksen gives us by a country mile.

Were Barkley to arrive he would become Eriksen's direct opponent amd heir apparent.

At his best physically and mentally Lamela offers us something that others don't. It needs consistency though and that has been the case since day one.

Yeah, they're different types of player. Son is what we sort of thought Lamela would be. A very direct wide forward who scores a lot. Lamela, under Pochettino has instead played as a very creative wide presser/violent shit disturber.

Yeh weird that, he was a real goal scoring player in Italy, ended up as a passing player with a violent streak with us. Strange.

We still lack though a proper wide forward in the scare the shit out the opposition sense. Son and Dele are kind of mercurial players who drift in and get shots off but we lack a Hazard or Sanchez, who when the ball reaches their feet attract 2-3 defenders creating space for others to operate in.

I don't know how we solve that, Edwards is suppose to be that guy but his situation is odd. It's the only area I see where our rivals have a big advantage over us and if we solved it would allow us to improve instantly.

Every bloody player who might do that like Bernardo Silva or Bernardeschi we have no chance with cos of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom