Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In the Bundesliga, Son was a better player than Draxler (and both are miles ahead of Schuerrle, who is bang average) ... I'd rather have Son here healthy and see how it works out. It took him a little bit to settle in Germany as well.

Very different types of players though, no? Draxler is more of a passer/long shot taker where as Son was better at running behind and dribbling at players before scoring, no? (I don't watch a ton of German football, I could be wrong.)

Very different types of players though, no? Draxler is more of a passer/long shot taker where as Son was better at running behind and dribbling at players before scoring, no? (I don't watch a ton of German football, I could be wrong.)

Draxler has spent long spells as a frustrating player who doesn't really do anything. He's very young still (only 22) but he hasn't been able to harness his talent for any real definitive stretch. He's classy in possession, but to this point in his career has lacked any real bite to his play - something that Schuerrle never developed and in many ways they are kind of similar players (wide players who aren't exceptionally pacey, are very good at keeping possession but don't provide a cutting edge either). Adam Lallana is something a poor man's version of the same type of player.

Son in the Bundesliga was a very, very direct player - but lethally effective at it. He'd knife in from out wide and was a terrific finisher. He gave away possession more than a Draxler type does, but he also provided far more end product.

Let's be realistic here..

..is Draxler actually any good. Like think about it for a second.

Or, are we just riding on the wave of assumption since Arse were linked to him a year or so ago, and started flooding the internet with hyperbolic bollocks

Thought this might have been posted in here, but...

SUNDERLAND IN FOR MASON

Sky Sources understand Hull City face competition from Sunderlandfor the signing of Ryan Mason from Tottenham.

Hull and Spurs have agreed a fee for the midfielder and the Tigers have made him a contract offer. However, we understand the player is now speaking to Sunderland.

Hopefully the Zaha transfer speculation comes to nothing, but at least it shows (as with N'Koudou) that Poch and the club have turned their attention to getting a CAM who is fast and tricky.

Spurs boss Pochettino admits he would like to sign another pacy attacking midfielder

Funnily enough, it was only earlier in the day that this Q&A with Danny Rose made me raise an eyebrow...

Who does Danny Rose list as his candidates for 4x100m relay runners?

Alli
Chadli
Dier
Walker

Now I know we're not privy to training, but just from using our eyes watching the matches, I'm not sure any of us would consider Chadli or Alli to be particularly rapid (Dier is deceptively quick, I agree with Rose on that one).

It would seem that we really are lacking pace in attack, especially if Son can't force his way into the team (and/or doesn't recover fully from his plantar fasciitis) and Rose didn't even think of him when asked that question on runners.
For all the excitement over Lamela this year, none of that is down to speed that leaves defenders for dead - but rather his creativity and footwork.

Fast players are often the 'bums off seats' breed. It can be frustrating to see counter attacks fall apart because we allow the opposition to get back into defence.

Chadli actually is pretty rapid when he opens up. Remember one counter attack season before last when he went off like a rocket from our half to their 18.....think it's the only time he's sprinted since he signed tho!

Draxler is shit, he's a slow Son. Isco is injured

I wouldn't call him shit, but I'm not that excited either.

The simple truth is that it's hard to upgrade on Eriksen. Sure he's been off his game in the first two matches, but the likes of Calhanoglu, Silva and Draxler just aren't upgrades. Isco might be, but you lose those 12-13km per game that Eriksen puts in, and consistency has always been his problem.

I would rather we either looked at someone equally adept at playing deeper, or perhaps someone with pace who can also play out wide. Tough ask to find in this market, but a like for like Eriksen upgrade is not possible imo.

I wouldn't call him shit, but I'm not that excited either.

The simple truth is that it's hard to upgrade on Eriksen. Sure he's been off his game in the first two matches, but the likes of Calhanoglu, Silva and Draxler just aren't upgrades. Isco might be, but you lose those 12-13km per game that Eriksen puts in, and consistency has always been his problem.

I would rather we either looked at someone equally adept at playing deeper, or perhaps someone with pace who can also play out wide. Tough ask to find in this market, but a like for like Eriksen upgrade is not possible imo.

Also he'd cost like 40+ Million quid..

Because we have eyes.

And what Pochettino doesn't? He wants to bring in a guy who he knows is total crap? The guy is young and hasn't always had the best squad or coaching besides perhaps his time in Old Trafford. I just don't understand why everyone touts 'In Poche we trust' unless it's something they don't agree with.

Good window so far.

We got the striker we've been crying out for. A defensive mid who can cover Dembele and Dier, and potential for a few more to come in.

I think we'll sign N'Kouduo, Pau Lopez and one more. Would love it to be Çalhanoğlu but trust Poch's judgement. Either way, I have an exciting feeling about this season.

So I just read two articles and watched two youtube videos, so I feel safe in proclaiming that we need to sign this Oliver Burke lad. £10 Million has already been offered, match it loan him back, and keep him in our pocket for the future.

Back
Top Bottom