Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There's voicing concerns and there's doing what John does.

And Harry is fucked because of 2 years of constant football. Including summers. Not because of a lack of 2nd striker. He wouldn't have been dropped even if we had one.
But if we had another striker banging them in then he could have been rested more.
Also we might have done better in the cup comps.
We ran kane in to the ground partly due to having no other strikers.
Also it would have taken more burden off kane's shoulders.
It was very amateur having only 1 striker.

Dier looked knackered in the last month of the season.

Last edited:
From sky sports:

Vincent Janssen says he is frustrated withAZ Alkmaar for turning down a £15m bid from Tottenham for his transfer.

Sky sources reported last month that the 21-year-old, who is also of interest to Wolfsburg, held talks with Spurs in London after Alkmaar gave permission.

"I have expressed my choice at the club," he said on Thursday.

"Tottenham Hotspur have made a high bid in my eyes. There has been an offer around €18m (£14.87m), but AZ will not even come to the table.

"I would like somewhere else as soon as possible to start my preparation. This is frustrating."
He's ours - only a matter of time, boys

I'm getting funked off with our so called "ethos" and "price range". I thought we was a big club. Yet most of us on here seem to be proud of our tight arsed approach and small club mentality. I'm not proud of it. I'm fucking embarrassed by it.
We are not really a big club anymore are we, well since the taylor report. I mean, we may be big in stature, history etc but realistically our stadium held as much as Upton Park. We have had to make our ticket prices high to pay the wages of the players we want to attract. Otherwise we may have fared just as well as they have.
The only way City or Chavs managed to be big with 5k more capacities was to be owned by billionaire oil traders who throw money in through the back door.
So, we cannot afford to be charlie big spuds and compete with those lot. Unless we go the same way.
However, we are tying the bigger stadium, bigger income route and trying to build the brand in asia and the US( which some don't like). This is the only way we will be able to compete.
I just can't see how people can't see this.
It's either 36k capacity and really high ticket prices/ 36k & bought out by Qatar or another oil rich country ( who pay millions for sponsorship/naming rights and advertising of their own companies) or a bigger stadium and bigger commercial brand.
I mean if Man City were not Abu Dhabi's promotional vehicle their fans would not be moaning about £60 away tickets, because to do what they have done they'd have been paying that for home ones.

Janssen has been hit by the Poch bug and really wants to join.
I thought when we made our first offer of 14m euro they wanted 20m euro. Now they have rejected 18m euro. So that's around £1.6m difference. If the reports are true on the prices.
That's very harsh.
I can see us landing him very soon as even Levy cannot let that much stand between the deal, if POch really, really wants him.

can he?

Whoa, first Wikipedia Brown Wikipedia Brown , now you!

0d41808f60af8871fa122b3b0f37ab1b.gif

Welcome back.

Fuck.. well, we know what this means in regards to who's returning to the forum next...

You gotta trust ole....

*static followed by silence followed by a Lenny (Mice and Men not Kravitz) like chuckle*

There's voicing concerns and there's doing what John does.

And Harry is fucked because of 2 years of constant football. Including summers. Not because of a lack of 2nd striker. He wouldn't have been dropped even if we had one.

Eric Dier didn't look fucked despite playing more than Harry this year. It's the summer football that has done him in.

Again, it's June.

Fucking scary what Hodgson did to Kane at the Euros, isn't it?

Except Sevilla just won 3 ELs on the run so the model has yielded arguably the greatest return, including transfer net profit second to none and a scouting network to be envied throughout Europe

In addition you cannot directly compare German clubs since 51% are owned by the public and Dortumnd in particular are being traded on the German stock exchange. They also have the highest attendances in Europe - more than both Real Madrid and Barcelona. We have nothing close to that in terms of pull and haven't won 1/5th of what they have historically. Forbes' evaluation is not objective in the slightest. If Utd were theoretically worth 200m more than us - does that mean we're similar size?
You're bringing up points which are relevant to the clubs' reputations, but not relevant to the point I raised. We, Juventus and Dortmund are the 9th, 10th and 11th largest clubs in the world by value, and by annual budget. We spend our money in the same way, on the same level of transfer targets and contracts.

They have other things which we don't which can help with appeal. But that doesn't change the fact that they are spending the same amount of money on the same types of players.

Do you have any understanding of Italian football prior to FFP?

Also - have a read at this
Yeah, I do and yeah I did. Now, looking at Juventus right now, they spend the same amounts of money on transfers we do, with the same kinds of players. They have advantages in appeal, but they're not working with a substantially different budget.

Something struck me. Here's what "know".
1) Marseille needed to come out with 21m by July 5th or face sanctions
2) Liege had a 35% sell-on clause, so any deal had be 33m for Marseille to get 21m just from this deal
3) Palace and Spam had bids, if not 33m then close to it
4) We we're never likely to bid 30m+
5) Though Bats went back on his "I want CL", I cannot see him having ever wanted to go to Palace or Spam
6) Chelsea appear out of nowhere with a 33m bid
7) Chelsea loan out about 2000 players each season

Something's fishy.

I wouldn't be in the slightest surprised if Marseille loan a few players from Chavs next season. With my suspicion being an underhanded agreement where they pay over the odds, making the actual fee below 33m, which was just a temporary need from Marseille.

I'll get my coat........and tinfoil hat :walkercry:
I wouldn't be surprised if it was 33 million, plus maybe a couple of loans. They'd been asking 40, so if Chelsea made the financial problem go away, and give them a couple of kids, that's better than 40 by a long way. Also would explain the speed of the deal.

Not even close
Really? Let's look at their recent transfer history, and ours and compare. In the past 2 years, who've they bought, and how much did they pay?

Using European leagues and cup competitions | Transfermarkt as a source, I don't see any substantive difference in the prices paid. They're not doing 50 million Euro mega deals for anyone, and they're not buying very many mature, star players. They're buying young talent and developing it. Like we do.

Really? Let's look at their recent transfer history, and ours and compare. In the past 2 years, who've they bought, and how much did they pay?

Using European leagues and cup competitions | Transfermarkt as a source, I don't see any substantive difference in the prices paid. They're not doing 50 million Euro mega deals for anyone, and they're not buying very many mature, star players. They're buying young talent and developing it. Like we do.
Two names - Dybala and Mandzukic

None of those would have come to us

Back
Top Bottom