Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rooney of a few seasons ago would be perfect in poch's system. And he would always run and press relentlessly.
Problem is now he looks physically fucked. He's barely survive pre season.
That said, if the coaches can work out a way to get him firing again (at least enough to be able to come in and out of the team) then I would take him.

Will never ever happen though. He's on 300k per week. And regardless of how well we did this year, he would see Spurs as a massive step down.

I thought Rooney was excellent yesterday.

But yes, unfortunately, even taking into account the last couple of seasons, any ManU player would see us as a serious step down the ladder.

I thought Rooney was excellent yesterday.

But yes, unfortunately, even taking into account the last couple of seasons, any ManU player would see us as a serious step down the ladder.

He plays a decent match once every 6 to 7 games. He's now like the talented fat kid at school who use to have quality tekkers and is now out of shape and being accommodated for the last 5 years to fit into a team. No longer first choice striker he's now dropped into midfield as their ain't much competition. 300k a week yet I'm in better physical shape than him - no thanks.

As for that united team I'd take a risk on depay as I do believe we can do with a winger this summer and mata. Everyone else won't come and these two can still do the buisness I believe if given a decent run.

Rooney is fantastic if you want someone to dictate play from the middle, he is becoming a poor mans Scholes, I don't think the way we play we can risk having someone like that despite Rooney's undoubted ability. For 300K a week it's pretty stupid as well.

The type of midfielders we need are Kante, Wanyama, Witsel etc

Rooney is fantastic if you want someone to dictate play from the middle, he is becoming a poor mans Scholes, I don't think the way we play we can risk having someone like that despite Rooney's undoubted ability. For 300K a week it's pretty stupid as well.

The type of midfielders we need are Kante, Wanyama, Witsel etc
'A poor man's Scholes'. That was what I was thinking as I watched him yesterday.
He has been fat and slow for years now and I have never seen a player age as quickly as Rooney.
Having said that he looked really sharp against Palace though I wouldn't trust him to maintain
a decent level of fitness. Watch him when he retires. I bet he will get really fat.

I thought he was. Every article I've read has said he's a DM. Having a look it seems he's a CM and can ply DM and AM. Only seen them play once or twice and to be honest he didn't jump out.

If we're talking about Xhaka then I would definitely describe him more as a CM/DM than a CM/CAM.

He lacks very much on the dribbling and he isn't really all too box to box. His biggest strengths are his tackling, passing and from what I've seen he's decent enough in the air. As I said before, reminds me a lot of Xabi Alonso.

As I said before, reminds me a lot of Xabi Alonso.

"He reminds me of a young Xabi Alonso"

louis10.JPG

Anyone who thinks we are selling Son is very wrong. A player that didn't get a preseason, coming into a new league, a new team from a different country yet he's still had an alright season. He needs to be given a full year with Poch from preseason through.. Also Levy wouldn't sell after one year after paying £22m.

Anyone who hopes we sell Son is a disgrace to the club.

The problem is Son isn't likely to get a pre-season, as he is wanted for the Olympics, also he has to do his S Korean national service at some point which ranges from 21-36 months before he's 35. Playing in the Olympics and picking up a medal will give him exemption from the national service.

It would be silly to get rid now after just one season. However if it's Pochettino being ruthless, who are we to argue with his judgement?

Sooooooooo, if the rumours about Mourinho to United being as good as a done deal are true, who do you guys think will fall foul of what the special cunt, I mean one, wants? And would you take them given the chance?

Apart from some marginal players, I'd go Blind, Depay, and Mata. Maybe even Rooney.

Blind would be interesting imo, because he'd slot into the type of role, Poch wants the DMC to play, really well.

Depay has underachieved (and whined) to a quite astonishing degree. He's obviously still a massive talent, but my god Poch would have to have a really good feeling about handling his shit attitude to go there.

Mata is brilliant. Unfortunately not really what we're looking for imo.

Rooney is the most interesting, even if the most far-fetched. I'd bet my life, that the first order of business for Mourinho will be to sign a top striker. With Rashford and Martial about as well, I cannot see him getting a game up top for them, and he's not the type of AM that Mourinho usually prefers. A huge hypothetical, because he's on such huge wages, but if it were to happen that he'd go to our level of wages to stay in England and the CL would you take him?

I'd go big for Rashford - like Kane handing him a Spurs shirt at England training big - not because I think we would get him.....it would just be very funny to see the fallout

Even if you just consider for a nano-second Levy selling Kane to them the fee would be astronomical.

Kane virtually guarantees CL qualification in a decent team for the next 8-10 years (barring serious injury)...........CL football is worth around £40m a year..........so anything less than £300m would be a very bad deal for the selling club.

"The Telegraph are reporting that the former Chelsea boss will be given a transfer kitty of £200 million..."
Well they can't afford them both then can they! Seriously, two of the biggest talents in the league, both English, fit, young with resale value and sky is the limit for both. Not only would it be monumentally stupid to sell either of them this summer, not only would neither of them want to leave just yet anyway, but the fee for each has to be in excess of £100 million when you consider what they are actually worth.

Back
Top Bottom