Stoke City v Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I didn't see the game last night but by all accounts Dembele was shite and way, way off the pace.
Hes always been so so for Belgium. He's still our most important player. Can't wait for him to be back for Sunderland.

Those playing midweek as below lifted from main site. Think he will play Toby & Jan but not all 3 of Moussa, Vincent and Erik. Whilst Erik may not play will have a long journey and Moussa will not have much time to integrate.
Tuesday, September 6
Toby Alderweireld, Mousa Dembele and Jan Vertonghen – Belgium away 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier against Cyprus – kick-off 7.45pm
Moussa Sissoko – France away 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier against Belarus – kick-off 7.45pm
Vincent Janssen – Netherlands away 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier against Sweden – kick-off 7.45pm
Clinton Njie – Cameroon home friendly against Gabon – kick-off 7pm

Wednesday, September 7
Erik Lamela – Argentina away 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier against Venezuela – kick-off 12am

He's not an attacking mid either. He started as a purely defensive mid at Toulouse but moved a bit forward to shoehorn Capoue in to that team. since then he's done his best work on the right side of a 3 man flat midfield in a 4-3-3 (ala where he plays for France).

In our team, he's going to likely play mostly in the Dembele role as a high energy box-to-box type player, moving the attack forward with driving runs and dribbling. He's actually quite a similar player to Dembele stylistically.
He nothing like Dembele - he's a wide attacking mid with pace and physicality and will play in the front 3 - guaranteed. Happy to take a bet on this

Sissoko is not a wide player. Sure he can play there but his attributes are best suited centrally. That's where he's looked best for France.

We have Son/Lamela for the right flank and Eriksen/Nkoudou for the left flank. Sissoko could fill in on either side if needed but I don't think that's what we've signed him for.

He will rotate with Dembele and Alli in central positions.

[formation=4231, Lloris, Walker, Toby, Jan, Rose, Wanyama, Sissoko, Lamela, Alli, Eriksen, Kane][/formation]

Gotta be the team imo.

Janssen/Son/Nkoudou to come on if we're chasing... Dier to come on if we want to close up shop.

Sissoko is not a wide player. Sure he can play there but his attributes are best suited centrally. That's where he's looked best for France.

We have Son/Lamela for the right flank and Eriksen/Nkoudou for the left flank. Sissoko could fill in on either side if needed but I don't think that's what we've signed him for.

He will rotate with Dembele and Alli in central positions.

[formation=4231, Lloris, Walker, Toby, Jan, Rose, Wanyama, Sissoko, Lamela, Alli, Eriksen, Kane][/formation]

Gotta be the team imo.

Janssen/Son/Nkoudou to come on if we're chasing... Dier to come on if we want to close up shop.

Dier over Wanyama all day.

Given that we have another match on September 14th against AS Monaco, I think we are gonna have this line up for this upcoming Stoke City match:
[formation=4231, Vorm, Walker, Alderweirald, Vertonghen, Rose, Dier, Wanyama, Lamela, Dele, Eriksen, Kane][/formation]
With Son, Carroll, Janssen, Wimmer, Lopez (since McGee is on a loan), Trippier, and possibly N'koudou or Sissoko as subs.

I would like to see some new faces for the match vs. AS Monaco like N'Koudou, Sissoko, and Janssen. Additionally, I hope Son, Wimmer, Carroll, Winks, and Onomah get some playing time this season! I see a lot of potential in them.

He nothing like Dembele - he's a wide attacking mid with pace and physicality and will play in the front 3 - guaranteed. Happy to take a bet on this
Holding MF, sits wide (outside the 3) not a winger, can defend deep and push forward. covers lots of grond. Will be good for us. Will give us simular coverage as Dembele without the dribberling but better defending.

Holding MF, sits wide (outside the 3) not a winger, can defend deep and push forward. covers lots of grond. Will be good for us. Will give us simular coverage as Dembele without the dribberling but better defending.

He had 2.3 dribbles per match last season, Dembele had 2.8. Sissoko is a devastating dribbler. He really is very similar in playing style to Dembele.

He had 2.3 dribbles per match last season, Dembele had 2.8. Sissoko is a devastating dribbler. He really is very similar in playing style to Dembele.
So not as much dribbling (whatever -0.5 less is?), What I have seen Sissoko is much more defensive orientated than Dembele who has much more going forward about him. I guess its similar as Wanyama and Dier.
We will need to wait and see how he is employed?
Its all about constructive players against distractive , horses for courses.

Stoke actually have a decent looking team on paper now that they've added Bony.

[formation="4231, Butland, Johnson, Shawcross, Indi Martins, Pieters, Allen, Imbula, Shaqiri, Bojan, Arnautovic, Bony"][/formation]
Rate most of those players apart from Imbula who I thinks a waste of space.

The fact that they have a decent attacking side and are at home will help us. They'll come out and go for it and that's when we hurt teams. That Martins Indi has always looked shite when I've seen him... need to take advantage of the uncertainty at the back.

We'll need to rotate a bit, have CL few days later.

Kane, Alli and Dier look like needing a rest, while Eriksen needs to pull his shit together.

[formation="4231, Butland, Johnson, Shawcross, Indi Martins, Pieters, Allen, Imbula, Shaqiri, Bojan, Arnautovic, Bony"][/formation]
Thought Butland was still injured.

A Stoke team with flair. Wanyama and Dier in midfield to contest. Sissoko and Lamela at flanks. Both adds strength and decent attacking threats. Alli number 10 and Kane up front

Back
Top Bottom