Stockholm Syndrome, or what? Which Woolwich player would you buy?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We all got fed up when Sol Campbell went off to Islington. Is there any current Gooner hero that would make a good Spur?

This is partly a joke question - which choice would most piss off people gathered in the Compton Arms?

It's partly a serious question - if you could grab one, which one would it be?

I suppose that "buy X on a gazillion year contract, and then lend him to Athletico Dollis Hill, forever" is a valid answer, but maybe someone who would actually play?
Fed up...?
Nah mate, I get fed up if I burn the roast potatoes...

This was nothing LIKE fed up!

Can't name a single one of theirs now... though would've taken Rice BEFORE he went there...

But of all time, I'd take Bergkamp.... he was a Spurs fan anyway, apparently!

If it’s purely first 11 then Saliba, Saka, Martinelli are the obvious.

Not sure I would swap Bentancur for Rice. Bentancur was our best player along with Kane in a somewhat miserable period, he is similar to Rice in his positional brilliance and playing the box to box role but far better on the ball than Rice. Bentancur could in theory become our best midfielder if he properly recovers and that is no disrespect to Sarr who has done well but Bentancur can dominate other teams midfields even very good ones almost on his own, put him like that with Bissouma and Maddison and our midfield is City level.

Partey is almost as good as Bissouma but the guy is a cunt. Maddison-Bissouma-Bentancur is for my view slightly better than Odegaard-Partey-Rice. Where Woolwich are better is depth and wide forwards. Depth is where if Arse come above us will be the reason, we need to fix our depth.

The genuine answer is Saliba (for VDV), Saka (For Kulu), Martinelli (For Richarlison or Brennan Johnson), Rice (For Sarr or Bentancur ... as in right now, potential wise I think sky is the limit for Sarr) and then there's some marginals.

From our team Udogie, Son, Bissouma, Romero, Porro would be nailed on. And then you have marginals/arguable match-ups like Raya/Vicario, Maddison/Odegaard etc...

They're two close teams atm - which btw is amazing for us because we've made up a lot of ground in a very short amount of time.
Forgot about Martineli. Bit of an upgrade on what we have.
I see it slightly differently.
I think in our formation, Rice is more likely to replace Bissouma than anyone and I would genuinely rather watch Bissouma every week.
Saka is quicker than Kulu and scores more goals, but does he do what is needed to cover our inverted RB? Can heh old the ball up under pressure from 2 or 3 players? Has he got any more of a 2nd foot than Kulu? I certainly wouldn't complain about having both to have options, but I'm not sure either one is wholly better than the other.
I don't think there's much in it with Saliba and Romero. Same with Oedegaard really.

I think the Judas move was so obviously a blow to us and a gain to them. None of them significantly increase us the same way.
Yeah it’s all opinions. I think most neutrals would say Saka is better. He is lazy tracking back & defending like when Maddison got past him. Kulu is better defensively but they are mostly in the team for their attacking player & to me Saka is better.
As you say though. You can have a player not as good but more suited & effective for your team than the better player.
I like Romero but he can be reckless & do dodgy stuff. I think it was him against United who was lucky not to give a pen away like against Woolwich. Big games & he is a bit erratic. Where as saliba is a bit more composed & reliable. I think we overrate Romero a bit. I think the same with Gabriel. He is a bit Erratic & Woolwich fans overrate him. I think saliba makes him look better than he is.

Oedeegard I didn’t rate much but his numbers were really good last season. So can’t really say he isn’t good. I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t top last Season like when Ramsey had that one amazing season. But who knows.
Biss & rice is close. I’d say rice better offensively & biss better defensively.

So you seem confident we will finish ahead of them with our better players.

Look at it how we looked at them taking Judas. They got better, we got worse.
Which player in their squad would improve us and weaken them?

Keepers - nope
Full/Wing backs - nope
Midfielders - 50/50 - Rice not there long enough, Partey a bit rapey. Oedegard maybe? Makes them weaker, not sure he gets in ahead of Maddison tbh.
Forwards - nope. Possibly Sake instead of Kulu?

This leaves their center backs. I left them until last as I have a feeling a lot of their "success" since the start of last season is Saliba. But does he improve us? He improves our bench for sure.

That's the thing about Judas. He was the transfer equivalent of a 6 pointer. I don't think there is such a thing at the moment.
This is a joke thread, not meant for serious comment !!

This is a joke thread, not meant for serious comment !!

It is, and it isn't, in a sort of Schrodinger way. Game of two halves, fifty fifty ball, win some lose some. From ye olden days, I agree re Bergkamp - he would have been good to grab. I might have said Henry, but I'm Irish and he's too handsy. Also he nicked a parking space I was aiming for when I was dropping my daughter off at school one day, the flash git, so screw him.

You could always open it up to terrible Spurs players to offload on a naive and trusting Gooner boss with a fat chequebook.

Laura Woods.

wedding crashers motorboat GIF

It is, and it isn't, in a sort of Schrodinger way. Game of two halves, fifty fifty ball, win some lose some. From ye olden days, I agree re Bergkamp - he would have been good to grab. I might have said Henry, but I'm Irish and he's too handsy. Also he nicked a parking space I was aiming for when I was dropping my daughter off at school one day, the flash git, so screw him.

You could always open it up to terrible Spurs players to offload on a naive and trusting Gooner boss with a fat chequebook.
All very interesting but we don't sign players from Woolwich unless they are relegated, then we could maybe!!

The genuine answer is Saliba (for VDV), Saka (For Kulu), Martinelli (For Richarlison or Brennan Johnson), Rice (For Sarr or Bentancur ... as in right now, potential wise I think sky is the limit for Sarr) and then there's some marginals.

From our team Udogie, Son, Bissouma, Romero, Porro would be nailed on. And then you have marginals/arguable match-ups like Raya/Vicario, Maddison/Odegaard etc...

They're two close teams atm - which btw is amazing for us because we've made up a lot of ground in a very short amount of time.
I'm not sure about Martinelli. Think he flatters to deceive a fair bit. He's very quick/skillful, but not sure he contributes a massively?

Also Rice, I'd agree with your "right now" for Sarr although the boy givess 100% for the whole game, and only Bentancur because of the injury. I honestly don't think I could choose Rice OVER the Bentancur of the start of last season or 21-22. I'd have him as competition for the spot.

I think I'd go for Rice and no others, and insert into the transfer contract a clause stipulating that the Goons can only sign Harry Kane as a goalie.

Erm, I assume that Harry couldn't even catch a train. The last thing we want is a 43 year old Harry being the unholy love child of Bob Wilson and David Seaman on steroids.

News (not) just in -

Laura Woods in sausage-related action:

The presenter got involved in a social media spat after a fan criticised Woolwich's decision to sign Declan Rice from West Ham in a £105million deal. Woods, who is a Gunners fan, helped the Premier League club announce the transfer by appearing in a short video.

Woods responded to the fan by calling him a "sausage", but her comment was removed by Instagram because it goes against their guidelines on "hate speech". The former talkSPORT star was flabbergasted by her warning and shared it with her followers.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/laura-woods-instagram-warning-Woolwich-30484500

Back
Top Bottom