Spurs vs Chelsea. 6 Nov 8pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That cunt fouled Udogie, pushed him to the ground and kicked away the ball before he could take his kick. Fuck him. The cunt.

Also came in late on Romero which wasnt given.

Which was clearly the catalyst for Romero to think "oh right, we can get away with that can we?"

Referee lost the game, he was atrocious.

We'll never know. I think we'd have ended up parked on our box because that's what ends up happening when you retreat and try and hang on. I appreciate your tactical criticism, it makes sense, but with 8 outfield players I think it's impossible to put pressure on the ball player and as a team you give that up and retreat to the edge.

Liverpool couldn't get out, couldn't mount anything because of how deep they were and did finally concede anyway. And they had all their best defenders on the pitch, not a third choice CB who hasn't played all season and a CM. And we were bloody clueless that night mostly.

You can't discount the chances created because it was 2-1. The inclination to attack and get forward was there in part because we were determined to as much as possible to get on the front foot.
I realise it's not as tangible as tactics or strategy and so often gets overlooked but mindset, mentality, desire to play a certain way against the odds, incredible effort, did galvanize a team who were known for the opposite until recently. Conte (and I didn't object to him as much as most), chucked the towel in vs Woolwich last season when we went down to ten men.

I must also say the 3 chances created weren't flukes, the 2 free kicks we played for, which showed an intelligent and savvy mentality and the delivery for both was excellent. The Son chance was carved out from open play which is extraordinary when you consider the odds against it.

I think Ange 1) still thought he could get something his way (possibly through stubbornness) and 2) saw an opportunity to push his players to the limit with possibly an eye on the larger and longer impact that such an effort brings ie confidence, belief, togetherness, positivity.

I think we come out of that pretty well - the score at the end doesn't tell the true story - and the players won't go into Saturday deflated and lacking confidence but quite the opposite.

I notice you referenced the battle of the bridge last night which I think is an unfair comparison - that night the whole team lost the plot and allowed Chelsea a way back in. Last night it was only two and they're quite rightly getting some stick for it. The others held it together mostly and pulled together, worked hard and didn't give up. That type of mentality is gold.

I think we should take a longer view - we've put together a decent 15 or 16 players in quick time, a tactical approach which is both attractive and successful so far AND he's created a fantastic team spirit which the game last night will only add to amazingly. The turnaround from last season has been huge.

The suspensions and injury to VDV will hurt us short term but if we continue with the excellent recruitment we've seen so far we can only be positive (whilst still casting a critical eye of course) going forward. I think last night adds to that in a way a bus park wouldn't have, not long term. I appreciate the need for pragmatism in such circumstances and the reasons why but we did witness something extraordinary last night and I think it'll hold us in good stead going forward.

Appreciate what you are saying, but we sat deeper to protect a 1-0 lead at a Luton and I don’t remember too much criticism of the tactics that day?

I don’t think we have to sacrifice our overall philosophy to change our approach in certain situational circumstances.

But as I said, I’m not outraged, but I wouldn’t have been outraged if we’d been a bit more pragmatic in those circumstances either. 9 men and both our CB’s off, I think it’s forgivable to adapt.

I think any one system is stronger than the sum of its parts.

These players have been training this system since July. We still have our strongest attackers available and our best midfielders.

Teams will get chances against a weakened defence but we were giving up chances with our strongest defence and had to rely on Vicario at times anyway.

We're still going to play the same way, play great football and get results.
No complaints over the football, surely the best we have seen for a very long time.
This is early days of course, but once greater depth is added then we will see a new and greater spurs.

That means we can't beat them?

What are you actually saying?
I could be wrong - but it looks like he's saying that Wolves don't appear to be mugs - and to emphasise the point, he said that they beat Man City recently.
If it helps you to understand, City have been national champions for the last 3 seasons, so they typically would be hard to beat.

Quite possibly the biggest benefit to come out of the match will be Ange's after match interview.

I would imagine that referees across the country will have watched that, and be greatly enthused by the the level headed and very pro referee statements that came out of the interview.

Much more so than those statements out of liverpool and Woolwich

I could be wrong - but it looks like he's saying that Wolves don't appear to be mugs - and to emphasise the point, he said that they beat Man City recently.
If it helps you to understand, City have been national champions for the last 3 seasons, so they typically would be hard to beat.

Well done for joining late and missing the whole conversation

I was replying to him saying the whole season is fucked now by explaining that we have no excuses not to get a result at Wolves.

City losing there doesn’t mean we have to

Quite possibly the biggest benefit to come out of the match will be Ange's after match interview.

I would imagine that referees across the country will have watched that, and be greatly enthused by the the level headed and very pro referee statements that came out of the interview.

Much more so than those statements out of liverpool and Woolwich

You think they will reward that?

Yeah - I think that refs will put garlands round his neck and give us a 3 goal start in every game.

I suspect the mindset of referees will be a lot more positive towards us, whether it be conscious or unconscious.
Yeah lovely.

The only problem is that they are only going to ref better for the clubs with the power to make their life harder in the media.

Ange having integrity is a win for him and our perception. It’s not stopping these twats letting teams kick the shit out of Maddison every week.

Back
Top Bottom