Spurs vs Brighton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

OK I am a Liverpool fan but some of the comments on here make me cringe. This season Spurs have been one of the best sides in Europe(not just the UK) All the teams go through spells where they are poor. Saw off Madrid and still fourth in the league whilst in between stadiums. Spent next to nothing on players. I'll tell you what 98% of the clubs in Europe would swap places with you tomorrow. You have a brilliant young manager, some of the best players in the Premier League and play football that's great to watch. Still as Adolf Hitler said"You cant please everyone"

The only thing making anyone cringe here is the fact a Liverpool fan is posting on a spurs forum in a thread for a game against Brighton. We don’t need a victims approval, we’ve finished above you 5 years in a row.

I think we will get 4th, which will be a very good achievement considering we have had no home ground, and obviously made some poor purchases.

But I think we are gonna just hobble over the line. Twitching like a one legged ferret

The only thing making anyone cringe here is the fact a Liverpool fan is posting on a spurs forum in a thread for a game against Brighton. We don’t need a victims approval, we’ve finished above you 5 years in a row.
Try to imagine a conversation in real life where someone paid you or your family a complement like that, would you really respond in that manner?

Not homophobic at all. I'm a peace and let live kind of guy and I think attitudes to homosexuality have developed where you can have a bit of light-hearted banter without the need to take offence, it's actually slightly retrograde to see homophobia where there is none. If I'm homophobic I'd have hardly gone to university there, would I? Love the place. It's the gay community and the students give it it's vibe.
You might not be homophobic yourself but it’s a cheap homophobic jibe either way, it belongs in the 1970s. I’m guessing you wouldn’t have made that joke to a gay person’s face right? Also just residing in Brighton doesn’t automatically make you “not a homophobe”. There are plenty of them in this town sadly!

Well, want to hear something funny? I decided that I would sit down and watch the whole game without looking at the spoilers tonight. Probably won't make that choice again! :D Onto the game...

Kane looks unfit right now. I know he wants to scores goals for us, and that he got one tonight (largely gifted to him by Son's mazy touchline run), but he was not close to his normal self to me. He seemed to be much slower and more immobile than usual. His pressing was lethargic and he seemed slow getting forward after dropping very deep (too deep?) to collect the ball numerous times in the second half. I'd be willing to chalk it up to rustyness, but it's not like he was at his normal physical best and was just not executing. Also, the number of times he slipped while trying to shoot was worrying- I know the pitch was slippery, but it seemed very suspicious.

I really hope Kane is not rushing his return to try and chase the golden boot. It'd be awful to risk long-term injury for such a relatively small honor. I know he got a poachers goal and everything, but overall I think the team would have played better without him tonight. I'm really surprised he was the final sub as well- would have thought he would get yanked by 70', if not earlier. Please understand I say this all in the spirit of loving Kane, wanting him to be healthy, and wanting the club to win.

Sissoko was really poor in CM for me tonight. How many times did he give away the ball in the first 25'? It was pretty shocking really. It seemed like Lucas quickly got the idea to not pass the ball to him, and started going on solo missions down the right flank. Also, it was frustrating watch Sissoko give up the ball at various points and just stand and watch the game unfold 6-10 feet in front of him without moving to take up a position to receive even a back-pass. I really hope we can shore up midfield with some better talent this coming Summer. I don't think we can legitimately compete for the prem starting him too many games next year. Want the guy to do well as he is Spurs, but it just seems like it's not working out at all.

Obviously this game is probably meaningless, but we haven't locked up 4th properly yet and have a tendency to get ourselves into needless pressure situations. I really hope the team can take a breath, focus and resolve to get the CL spot locked down in earnest.

When I got to the club tonight, some guy asked me if I was nervous, to which I replied "I'm always nervous ". I don't think I will ever be confident before a game, no matter who the opposition is. I know Poch has done an amazing job in creating the best team spirit i have ever witnessed but I still expect it to go tits up sooner or later - that's the pessimist in me and if we won five titles on the bounce, I would still feel the same!
It's called being a Tottenham fan Mrs P. Most of us,definitely those of a certain age group are like that. Sometimes I envy other fans and their blind optimision.

Apart from one through ball I felt sissoko was poor tonight. His control and passing in build up was gash, he's not a starter and plays a very different role when he comes on late. He can break play up and cover in defence but is awful pushing forward. I think the later subs have papered over the cracks... I would rather seem him moved on if I'm honest.

I know other players had a terrible game but apart from aurier they generally put in decent performances.

The core of our team and bench is solid but the summer is important. We need to be ruthless in our decisions

It's another lesson, the players should have footwear to cope with it. Someone needs to asses things before kickoff and make the necessary changes... I know players don't want their studs caught as this can lead to injury but it was like they were playing on a skating rink

Yea, I was thinking the same thing- team needed to put on some longer cleats at halftime. BHA did not appear to be similarly encumbered. Part of me wonders if this was a deliberate strategy.

It's in our hands completely. Chelsea have 2 very tough games left with Burnley away and Liverpool at home, and the form Chelsea have shown this year I wouldn't bet on them winning both. If Burnley win tonight then we are 9 points clear of them with 4 games left and even after seeing how Spursy things have been in the past, there is no way we are losing 3 of our last 4 games. If Chelsea win then yeh, it's 5 points. Still, we'd have to lose 2 of our 4 remaining games.

I understand and appreciate people panic and have every right to be worried after seeing Spurs pre Poch days.. But please, don't do yourselves any damage. 5 weeks from now we could be looking back at the season after finishing 4th and winning the FA Cup.. Lets have some optimism!

We were up against a well-drilled side fighting for survival. It was like the Alamo at times and whilst we weren't good, Brighton were solid and brave, credit to them.

Another game where we dominated possession to the point where all 11 BHA players were defending. Sometimes I'd like to see us invite the opposition on to us and have a few counters. I think we may have picked them off in that way as other than Izquierdo and Knockaert, they didn't have any pace.

Agreed on the Sissoko/Wanyama partnership stinking... it does. With Winks out, we could do with another Dembele cover, someone creative and tricky.

All these people saying we're going backwards... we're not. Last two years, Chelsea, United, Woolwich and the dippers have all finished outside top four and we haven't. I can't see how we will this year either.

Sure we need to replace Sissoko and Llorente, but we have a better squad than ever, revenue doubling infrastructure about to be built... things are good.

Dare I mention that Dele would have perhaps made a difference, running into their packed 18 yard box, loads of chances to get tripped, fouled or whatever.

All If's, buts and maybe's. Thought our midfield looked out of ideas and reminded me of how we used to be against a highly defensive team.

Back
Top Bottom