Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Carroll is hugely expendable, I see no issue in binning him. Can't just keep players because they're "Spurs", they actually have to affect games in some way. Mason has a higher ceiling at Spurs than Carroll does IMO.
Carroll is hugely expendable? What are you actually talking about?

If Mason had buried his chance, everyone would be on this thread lauding him as 'one if our own.' But he missed, so haters gonna hate.

I just don't get the logic of condoning getting rid of a home grown lad who has been capped by his country and replacing him with a speculative punt on a foreign player who knows nothing about the club and might disrupt what is obviously a happy and positive squad.

With Dele and Moussa out, I hope he gets two full games to show that he has some substance: there is a player in there, we need to get behind him.

If Mason had buried his chance, everyone would be on this thread lauding him as 'one if our own.' But he missed, so haters gonna hate.

I just don't get the logic of condoning getting rid of a home grown lad who has been capped by his country and replacing him with a speculative punt on a foreign player who knows nothing about the club and might disrupt what is obviously a happy and positive squad.

With Dele and Moussa out, I hope he gets two full games to show that he has some substance: there is a player in there, we need to get behind him.
Livermore has also been 'capped by his country' - behave

Just because he's home-grown doesn't mean we have to carry him in the team irrespective of indifferent performances. He's simply not Top-4 material - no shame in that.

Livermore has also been 'capped by his country' - behave

Just because he's home-grown doesn't mean we have to carry him in the team irrespective of indifferent performances. He's simply not Top-4 material - no shame in that.
I don't say he is a worldie, but I do think he's a valuable squad member so I guess we'll have to amicably agree to disagree on that.

Look at Leicester - a lot of their fans didn't ever rate Okazaki. He's a bit of a headless chicken, but a useful player off the bench and a popular member of the squad. The supporting cast is sometimes as important as the leading lights...

I don't say he is a worldie, but I do think he's a valuable squad member so I guess we'll have to amicably agree to disagree on that.

Look at Leicester - a lot of their fans didn't ever rate Okazaki. He's a bit of a headless chicken, but a useful player off the bench and a popular member of the squad. The supporting cast is sometimes as important as the leading lights...
Okazaki delivered some important goals for them - I can't recall a single critical contribution from Mason this year

Be that as it may - I think he can be a useful player for a mid-table PL team, simply cannot see him ever excelling in our set-up - he's also 25 next month. For the sake of his career - I hope he's moved on, same with Carroll. Look at how Livermore turned things around for himself

Okazaki delivered some important goals for them - I can't recall a single critical contribution from Mason this year
I think I recall he scored the winner away in a tough game and got injured for the trouble ( sorry if it was last year ) he's a decent player and a good squad player, would be no point selling the guy or indeed Carroll. If they are happy to stay and improve then what problem do they present ?

Be that as it may - I think he can be a useful player for a mid-table PL team, simply cannot see him ever excelling in our set-up - he's also 25 next month. For the sake of his career - I hope he's moved on, same with Carroll. Look at how Livermore turned things around for himself
You make a good case, but I would still be willing to give him another season. Let's see if he can step up in the next two games, with the pressure off a bit and both fixtures being against reasonable 'footballing' teams.

The one thing that does worry me is that next year we won't be able to play second teamers in the CL as we have done in the EL; for that reason we do need greater strength in depth than we have got away with for the past to seasons.

You make a good case, but I would still be willing to give him another season. Let's see if he can step up in the next two games, with the pressure off a bit and both fixtures being against reasonable 'footballing' teams.

The one thing that does worry me is that next year we won't be able to play second teamers in the CL as we have done in the EL; for that reason we do need greater strength in depth than we have got away with for the past to seasons.
If it sounds like I am confused and undecided, it's probably because I am!

:walkercry:

If they are happy to stay and improve then what problem do they present ?
The problem of occupying squad places that can be utilised by better players. We need to push-on from this season going into 2016/17 - this requires improvement on all fronts.

I think I recall he scored the winner away in a tough game and got injured for the trouble ( sorry if it was last year ) he's a decent player and a good squad player, would be no point selling the guy or indeed Carroll. If they are happy to stay and improve then what problem do they present ?
It was this season, it got us all 3 points. He was playing really well, but him getting hurt was one thing that opened the door for Dele Alli. Swings and roundabouts.

Mason has been utter gash at scoring.

If you can't improve that, you'll always start to get displaced in the team if you're meant to be more of an attacking player.

Good link up play, but if you're on the receiving end of the pass, you need to be able to score and he has never been reliable. You know he'll miss it. It is that much of a sure thing. A couple times it has gone in by luck including the Sunderland one in which he got injured.

If you can't improve that, you'll always start to get displaced in the team if you're meant to be more of an attacking player.

Good link up play, but if you're on the receiving end of the pass, you need to be able to score and he has never been reliable. You know he'll miss it. It is that much of a sure thing. A couple times it has gone in by luck including the Sunderland one in which he got injured.
But Dembele who plays in the same position has scored 2 more goals than him and 35% more minutes, your logic is shit.

Anthony Gardner got an England cap. We sold him. Ditto Neil Ruddock. And we weren't PL contenders and in the Champions League then.

Good luck to him for getting his one cap but it was just that, lucky. There is no way he is in the top 100 English footballers, let alone the top 23. If we want somebody who loves Spurs with a passion, is great in the dressing room and is a local lad we ought to give Chas Hodges the 8 shirt. More backing track than tracking back, but Mason doesn't do that either.

I think he can be a useful player for a mid-table PL team, simply cannot see him ever excelling in our set-up - he's also 25 next month. For the sake of his career - I hope he's moved on, same with Carroll. Look at how Livermore turned things around for himself

So we can expect the Chelsea bid any day now... he did support them as a kid (as Sky SOON pointed out as he was coming on last Monday)

I agree that Mason is too weak in front of goal. I think it's a confidence thing, but I don't know. He used to be a goalscorer, scored 50 odd goals one season in our youth team. He has ability, but needs a run in the team and the right coaching to get scoring those chances. Should have shot much earlier against Chelsea - other players would have taken the opportunity much quicker. I think this next season has to be it for him or we may replace him.

But Dembele who plays in the same position has scored 2 more goals than him and 35% more minutes, your logic is shit.

Hey cunt bucket, that's just one quality. Dembele has better ball retention and hold up play, can dribble, more strength etc. He doesn't attack the box like Mason does, but he doesn't need to. Mason does but wastes his opportunities that could have been converted by our attacking quartet.

I would adhere to the Ferguson method here; what value does the player have and can they be improved upon?

We are a couple of seasons ahead of expectation, or one at least. As to are Dier and Alli whilst Dembele has been a revelation. My concern with Mason is that he seems like a player who needs match time as oppose to picking up the pace instantly.

I'd be happy to keep him if it doesn't affect us bringing in better players.

Back
Top Bottom