Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know. I'll buy a 28/29 year old heep of shit from spain for 26 million, then 6 months later i'll get rid of tottenhams 5th highest scorer (defoe) for penuts because i'll have to because im picking the heep over the natural finsher and hes beginning to get pissed off about sitting on the bench. Fcukin everythings wrong at this club :(
And I suppose you knew that Soldado would struggle in his first season, did you? You wasn't one of most fans that were delighted with his signing last August. You knew that a bloke with an exceptional scoring record would immediately slump in the Premiership and wouldn't be able to hit the back of the net unless he had a run up from 12 yards?

We should sack Baldini and hire you. We'll never make a bad signing again.

:adethumbup:

And I suppose you knew that Soldado would struggle in his first season, did you? You wasn't one of most fans that were delighted with his signing last August. You knew that a bloke with an exceptional scoring record would immediately slump in the Premiership and wouldn't be able to hit the back of the net unless he had a run up from 12 yards?

We should sack Baldini and hire you. We'll never make a bad signing again.

:adethumbup:

Agreed. I saw negative comments on each and every player who came in last summer, including Eriksen and Lamela (guilty myself for the latter), but nothing on the 4th highest scorer in La Liga (only to Ronaldo, Messi, and Falcao) coming to Spurs. There was nothing but delight at the time. People might have preferred Benteke or Remy, but even they were happy overall that Soldado was selected.

Agreed. I saw negative comments on each and every player who came in last summer, including Eriksen and Lamela (guilty myself for the latter), but nothing on the 4th highest scorer in La Liga (only to Ronaldo, Messi, and Falcao) coming to Spurs. There was nothing but delight at the time. People might have preferred Benteke or Remy, but even they were happy overall that Soldado was selected.
True that.

Really, so far as I can remember most of the early media pressure on our new signings was targeted at Eriksen, ironically. I remember a lot of talk about how his cut rate move to Spurs was proof that bigger clubs had taken a look at him and seen something to put them off.

Also explicitly remember Carlito Brigante Carlito Brigante savaging every single forward we were linked with - and Negredo in particular - while saying that Soldado was the only player Spursy enough that was available, or something to that effect.

He had a poor first season, but he's not a poor footballer. I get people being disappointed about him. I understand he's not a physical monster, but if you implement him correctly in the right system he's going to score goals. This season is massive for him, I'd hope to think he's a massive part in Pochetinos system next year, he fits the closing down space bill, does a lot of work off the ball and on form he's deadly, this isn't a Shevchenko buy by us, he's still got it. His family troubles at the start of the season obviously effected him as it would anyone, it has stuck with him this year and change of manager and constantly revolving systems don't help. I think he will do bloody well next year. Not willing to argue on this point, just putting out a view. If im proved wrong so be it, we will know next year. I've got faith in him though.

True that.

Really, so far as I can remember most of the early media pressure on our new signings was targeted at Eriksen, ironically. I remember a lot of talk about how his cut rate move to Spurs was proof that bigger clubs had taken a look at him and seen something to put them off.

Also explicitly remember Carlito Brigante Carlito Brigante savaging every single forward we were linked with - and Negredo in particular - while saying that Soldado was the only player Spursy enough that was available, or something to that effect.

Yeah I remember Carlito going a bit ham over the signing, during all the ITK surrounding it and the signing period.

Some people did point out some valid concerns about Eriksen, such as NorseYid NorseYid , and while the player has done quite well I think the weaknesses he pointed out were rather accurate. However, for the most part it was rather ridiculous that people were discrediting him because he was acquired so cheaply, while circle-jerking to Lamela because we dropped close to 30 mil on him. I like to think we learned a lesson here folks, price is never a direct correlation with chance of impact.

Signing Christian Eriksen is one of the biggest coups this club has achieved since Klinnsman, as the only reason bigger clubs didn't bite is because they opted for more experienced targets (Dortmund, Liverpool) or he told them no (Manchester City).

100% true. He cant win aerial battles, he cant outpace defenders, he cant outdribble defenders, he cant take shots from outside the box. He cant holdup play well enough. This guy will never succeed at spurs because we wont be creating tons open play tapins (which hes missed anyway).
If we know what he's strengths are, why don't we play to them?

True that.

Negredo was already at city when we signed him you know nothing nonce now fuck off.

The whole team should adapt to a striker who has one strength (tap ins) and has zero ability to adapt his game?

Or should we play another striker who already fits in with the way everybody else plays?

The whole team need to adapt to any system with a plan B in place to fall onto if plan A doesn't work. There hasn't been a system adhered to for two seasons. Playing to player's strengths is at least a start.

The whole team should adapt to a striker who has one strength (tap ins) and has zero ability to adapt his game?

Or should we play another striker who already fits in with the way everybody else plays?
I think 'tap ins' is a little harsh but.... He scored plenty goals running across the near post defender and it's fair to say he had plenty chances last season. Early on he seemed to be running into the wide players instead of into space. Communication? Maybe but either way if we get £20M plus offer, bite their hands off otherwise, find a way to play to make him more effective. I say that because I honestly don't think we will invest big in another striker this summer.

This may be a silly observation (as ive had some drinks) but shouldnt a striker *be* scoring/ or at least getting chances .... in the box? Not saying tap ins but you know, decent 10 yards out chances. Admittedly Bob has fluffed his lines when hes had these chances this year and should have taken at least a few of them but i dont think we need to change our team just for him... Certainly shouldnt do that for any player unless they are truly one of a generation kind of talent players (Hoddle, Gazza, Bale in recent times).

What i think im trying to say is that people think that the *average* (!) "modern" centre forward role is now some uber-human who will wallop them in from 30 yards on either foot, head a ball like a fucking bullet and run like buggery for 90 minutes, and take every single chance presented to them in the box with consumate ease. This is not the case at all. Quite simply its about scoring goals, and sadly Bob hasnt done that this year for multiple reasons. Writing someone off after one ridiculous season (where we as a club tried to stupidly integrate 7 new players into the first team and expected them all to be instantly successful... No blame game here but that was never going to work how *they* expected it to) when they have proven goalscoring record in non-shit competitons seems premature to me. Im not sure what people expect of a striker these days, but a penalty box goalscorer surely must have a role in any team... Why demonise the characteristics of a Lineker-esque penalty area finisher? Isnt that what Aguero does? Or Dzeko? Etc etc. They obviously play in a better side but you dont see either doing ridiculous things like, say, Suarez does.

Give him a go next season if he's still here, get off his back and let him do what he can. Its the only thing we can ask from them as fans. If he still looks off the pace next year then thats when the player AND the club know its best to cut their ties.

End of post, far too much typing after far too much beer

Negredo was already at city when we signed him you know nothing nonce now fuck off.
Oh please, you massive embarrassment. You gushed about the man for months last summer like a schoolgirl with a crush, a long time before we signed the man.

I also remember quite a lot of talk about your circles confirming Benteke as a done deal.

Last edited:
140 pages of this. Time to sell quickly before his value drops even further. These aren't the droids you're looking for
Investing 101: Buy Low, Sell High.

I thought Levy was supposed to be clever?

His value can't drop much further. At this point we'd be better served trying to salvage him under Pochettino.

This guys doesn't have a lot of time to be amazing, before Levy will want to cash in.

But if he does stay I think at most he'll be as good as Giroud ( who is a pretty good striker btw, just not flashy enough for woolwich) I don't think he'll even get to that level in the premier league.

But one thing I'm sure of is that he will assist a lot, so we really need goal scoring wingers like woolwich have.

Long story short Soldado = Torres

This guys doesn't have a lot of time to be amazing, before Levy will want to cash in.

But if he does stay I think at most he'll be as good as Giroud ( who is a pretty good striker btw, just not flashy enough for woolwich) I don't think he'll even get to that level in the premier league.

But one thing I'm sure of is that he will assist a lot, so we really need goal scoring wingers like woolwich have.

Long story short Soldado = Torres
I guess the only difference being Torres had done it in the prem and Bobby hadn't.

What a selection of cunts. The guy has had one season FFS. An utterly ridiculous level of criticism for one of our own players in what has been a season of fresh mustard coloured shite.

Back
Top Bottom