Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Alternatively, what if we consider the following...

When was the last time we had a genuinely talented player that rejected moves to 'bigger' clubs to stay with us? King is an exception, as he's suggested his loyalty was partially due to his injuries.

So, with the support he's been given, this could work out quite well. Say he suddenly comes into form and returns to being a goal machine. Not many clubs would go for a 30 year old at that point (his age at end of season) for big money, and we know what levy is like in terms of ROI. Additionally, Soldado doesn't actually rely on pace at all, so could play well into his 30s.

We could have an ideal recipe so that, when he returns to form, he feels compelled to stay with us.

He doesn't complain about games (or much at all) and seems to be a useful character in the dressing room - certainly no troublemaker or moaner - so weighing up the benefits of actually selling them, they aren't abundant. We'd free a space in the team, but I doubt he's on massive wages for it to be a financial benefit.

I'd be up for keeping Soldado and Kane. The benefits of keeping Ade are much less - that's where I see the benefits of replacement being, to be honest. We can't sign two strikers as we don't play 2 up front and it'd only further freeze Kane out.

I'd even be happy with Kane, Soldado and bedding in a further 'yoof' (Coulthirst for example), and Chadli has the attributes to be a good option, too.
I get where you're coming from, but at this point I think that he's just never going to come good for us. And I don't think it's from a lack of effort on his part. I just thing it's one of those weird things.

I get where you're coming from, but at this point I think that he's just never going to come good for us. And I don't think it's from a lack of effort on his part. I just thing it's one of those weird things.

I don't think we've got much to lose by giving him to the end of the season at least. not even 1.5 season and he's had 3 managers - starting to finally see some progress in the last few games.

It would also totally be two fingers up to the rest of the league and the media if he found form

I don't think we've got much to lose by giving him to the end of the season at least. not even 1.5 season and he's had 3 managers - starting to finally see some progress in the last few games.

It would also totally be two fingers up to the rest of the league and the media if he found form
Oh that it would. And I would be absolutely fucking ecstatic if it came true.

Still rooting for Soldado to come good but I'll never quite follow the line of reason in his favor. People excoriate Walker and Rose for only having ability going forward, Dawson for only being able to defend while hoofing the ball forward, Bentaleb for being weak in his defensive positioning and numerous other examples.

All Soldado does is build up play. Fundamentally, he only succeeds in half his duty on the pitch. Somehow, this is seen as a positive while for all other players they get killed for it. The double standards do my head in to be honest.

Having said that, Soldado does look very good in build up play but let's not pretend like that makes him a success.

Still rooting for Soldado to come good but I'll never quite follow the line of reason in his favor. People excoriate Walker and Rose for only having ability going forward, Dawson for only being able to defend while hoofing the ball forward, Bentaleb for being weak in his defensive positioning and numerous other examples.

All Soldado does is build up play. Fundamentally, he only succeeds in half his duty on the pitch. Somehow, this is seen as a positive while for all other players they get killed for it. The double standards do my head in to be honest.

Having said that, Soldado does look very good in build up play but let's not pretend like that makes him a success.

The difference between having ability but bad luck and having all the luck in the world but not enough ability

None of the others cost £26 million :soldadolol:

He should focus on putting the ball straight through the middle of the net, not curling it to the extreme end on every shot and putting it wide. He needs to focus on putting shots on target, even if that means aiming for the keeper's hands every time.

He has a technical problem that has crept into his game. He is coming too far across the ball when he shoots with his right foot - he tends to drag everything left. I wonder if he works on it in training because for an otherwise natural looking footballer, it seems obvious, and not so difficult to put right. Perhaps the effect of an old injury? I don't know, but this, coupled with the resultant loss of confidence, is the reason he's not hitting his targets.

I have a new song for him.

Soldado (etc)
He came from sunny Spain
He'll never score again.

I support the view that he should continue in the starting line up, though. I like him as a player, and he will surely get a handful of goals this season (won't he??)

If he starts scoring regularly I'll be the first to call myself a fool, but I've been down this road too many times before
article-0-005D897500000258-910_468x539.jpg

The thing is, if he starts scoring, it doesnt make you a fool for criticising him now.

The fact is, when he plays, he is averaging at about 2 missed sitters per game. Its not ok.

Now, Im one of the hardest on him, but Im liking what Ive seen of him recently. The last year, I saw zero. Absolutely nothing.

Ive now seen a player throwing his weight in, and helping the team. The misses are not ok, but he's a brave player, who doesnt hide, and keeps trying. We dont have enough of those, so now I will give him some more leniency.

But that doesnt mean I will pretend his misses are somehow down to the midfield, or even worse, brush them off like they didnt happen or are just unlucky.

He needs to start fucking scoring. The supply argument is dead. He has been supplied plenty in the last few games, and missed 4 absolute bread and butter chances.

Strikers go through lean spells. Unfortunately Robbie's is extra lean now. I think there are extenuating circumstances that dilute that spell a bit though; moved to new country, awful system to start with and we hardly created a thing, new manager dropped him and then when he played him and he scored a lovely goal in the league and we all went mad with him at WHL he dropped him! Personal upset in his life off the pitch then we change manager YET AGAIN and so far look devoid of knowing our best XI or even our best 13-14 and have a very disjointed system (if there is one?!).

No excuses for some of the chances missed in the past few games but, plenty of good link up play and some good-shooting at times actually where unfortunately the goalkeepers have come up with great saves.

I fear the Man City penalty moment said it all and then was capped with the ball hitting the inside of the post on Thursday before the rebound was stuck into an open goal.

One thing is for certain, bombing him in January and not bringing in another striker would be totally Levy/Spurs-like and be suicide for the season. As poor as we are, and our form line is poor (take out playing 10men and it's tragic), we MIGHT still be in 3 cups and in touch with the top 4 by January - scary.

anyone in the age 11 and above section would have scored more than he has in the last 6 months.

him getting a couple of goals in the next few games means fuck all. a broken watch can get on the end of a couple of crosses twice a season

Back
Top Bottom