Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't even think he is far off from being a 20 goal scorer... For the majority of his games, all he needs is the ball slightly one direction or anotther and he has a goal. He plays very well links up play. He is creative, just he has lost his clinical finishing that he used to have. If we sell, It must be out of the PL.

I don't even think he is far off from being a 20 goal scorer...

Jeez mate calm down. 5-7, in the PL, from open play this season and Id be delighted for him.

For the majority of his games, all he needs is the ball slightly one direction or anotther and he has a goal

That direction needs to be towards the goal when the ball leaves his foot though. He had a good shot from outside the box yesterday which tested the keeper after 4 minutes and I got a good feeling for the game for him, but he faded away. I think the supply argument is dead in the water.

His game has improved, no doubt. But he has to start scoring, and he has to shoulder that responsibility, not the midfield. To be fair, I think he does shoulder it personally.

Soldado can't play in a team that plays a high defensive line. End of. If we're not magically going to start playing counter attacking tactics then we might as well cut our losses.

As much as everyone loves to shit on Bobby it doesn't change the fact that he offers far more than Adebayor even whilst playing a bit shit. At least Soldado makes intelligent runs and occasionally chips in with some neat link up play. If he finds the net with a lucky bounce off his arse then maybe the confidence will start coming back - he just needs an extended run. As long as it keeps that juju cursed clown off the pitch I'm all for him playing.

As mentioned in the gameday thread we create next to fuck all for him to work with. I compared that to the silver service Costa gets from Fabregas, Oscar and Hazard.

Soldado in 12 appearances this season has had 3 or more shots at goal just 4 times (this comes down to a mix of both not being in the right places and shit service).
Costa in 16 appearances has had 3 or more shots at goal 9 times.

It's the same problem Ade faces (3 games with more than 3 shots from 19 appearances). Kane's stats slightly misleading considering 2 of his appearances were against championship sides and Asteras who are quite poor. Without those misleading games even he has only managed 3+ shots at goal in only 4 out of 10 appearances. The supply lines to these strikers is very poor and no matter how awful Soldado or Ade might be let's judge them when they are actually getting chances.

As much as everyone loves to shit on Bobby it doesn't change the fact that he offers far more than Adebayor even whilst playing a bit shit. At least Soldado makes intelligent runs and occasionally chips in with some neat link up play. If he finds the net with a lucky bounce off his arse then maybe the confidence will start coming back - he just needs an extended run. As long as it keeps that juju cursed clown off the pitch I'm all for him playing.
Actually, I think that people have been abnormally patient and fair to Soldado, most likely for the reasons you mentioned. He looks and plays like he gives a damn, but that only gets you so far. There are thousands of players that can make an intelligent run and offer the occasional "neat" play, but all of that doesn't mean much if you can't score a damn goal or if your assists are off the charts.

I'm happier with him on the pitch than Ade, but I don't want to see us waiting until March to see if he FINALLY hits his form again.

As mentioned in the gameday thread we create next to fuck all for him to work with. I compared that to the silver service Costa gets from Fabregas, Oscar and Hazard.

Soldado in 12 appearances this season has had 3 or more shots at goal just 4 times (this comes down to a mix of both not being in the right places and shit service).
Costa in 16 appearances has had 3 or more shots at goal 9 times.

It's the same problem Ade faces (3 games with more than 3 shots from 19 appearances). Kane's stats slightly misleading considering 2 of his appearances were against championship sides and Asteras who are quite poor. Without those misleading games even he has only managed 3+ shots at goal in only 4 out of 10 appearances. The supply lines to these strikers is very poor and no matter how awful Soldado or Ade might be let's judge them when they are actually getting chances.
I have to disagree with you there, he had enough chance that all came very close. If he wasn't getting service he wouldn't be able to get shots off target.

I love Soldado, it is just a lack of confidence. Hopefully he can get some decent game time up to with Kane and net a couple.

Do you think he can be used as more of a Van der Vaart type of player who links the midfield and striker while chiping in with the occasional goal? He certainly seems to have developed into a different player than he was before. Maybe it would take expectations off and boost his confidence to play even better

Do you think he can be used as more of a Van der Vaart type of player who links the midfield and striker while chiping in with the occasional goal? He certainly seems to have developed into a different player than he was before. Maybe it would take expectations off and boost his confidence to play even better
I'd like to see it work but as a goal scoring striker (the one that he used to be) he will constantly want goals and be looking for goals. It is in the network of the brains in goalscorers, kinda like Defoe!

I think he is good at the link up play and he doesn't mind doing it but his main focus as a player is going to be goals.

Had he not been brought down for the the freekick on Sunday (which we scored from), I'd say he would have had got his shot away.

Here's hoping he gets a game tonight and has some chances.

Strikers are on a confidence game - most evident by Adebayor last season and Kane this season.

Generally, confidence = goals = confidence (rinse & repeat)

Back
Top Bottom