Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They are actually great stats!

Esp when you ignore things like his 11 assists in one of our seasons in the prem etc. Ade simply has more to his game and is a proven goal scorer.

Soldado is doing the right thing. Working hard etc but there is a good reason Ade is Poch's number one. Poch does not have the bias that a lot of Spurs fans have for Ade.

I don't have that bias that I believe you are talking about. I don't dislike him because he earn a lot, I thought he was amazing when he was here on loan, and fantastic when he was brought back into the team by Tim. I don't think he's lazy or that he doesn't care. I named my son Adrian, partly inspired by Adebayor.

The thing is, you don't need to be biased like that to think that his performances and form in the league so far has been awful, and detrimental for our attacking play.

You do, however, need to be biased to think that he should play, despite his awful form. Especially when other alternatives are looking better. And you do need to be biased against the alternatives to claim that they aren't doing better.

I am beginning to suspect some 'fans' would rather see us lose with Ade playing than see us win with Soldado scoring and risk being proven WRONG on the Internet
I'd like to see us play our strongest team, that doesnt include playing our 3rd choice striker.

22 starts and 6 goals by Soldado in his first season in England is all anyone looks at but actually think about the season we had last year. First 1/2 of that season we were playing that drab stuff under AVB with Paulinho & Townsend shooting on sight. The 2nd 1/2 of the season under Sherwood he only started 9 games.

So far this season in the PL he has 1 start and up until the pen miss I thought it was the most dangerous we've looked against a good side in the 4-2-3-1 since Bale had left.

I don't have that bias that I believe you are talking about. I don't dislike him because he earn a lot, I thought he was amazing when he was here on loan, and fantastic when he was brought back into the team by Tim. I don't think he's lazy or that he doesn't care. I named my son Adrian, partly inspired by Adebayor.

The thing is, you don't need to be biased like that to think that his performances and form in the league so far has been awful, and detrimental for our attacking play.

You do, however, need to be biased to think that he should play, despite his awful form. Especially when other alternatives are looking better. And you do need to be biased against the alternatives to claim that they aren't doing better.

He scored. In the prem. How am I biased? I also posted that he's been involved in goals in his last 3 games. People seem to ignore it and were vilifying him in the match thread yesterday and he wasnt even playing. Our own players voted for him to be vice captain. Our own manager said he has faith in him to score etc and he does enough even when he does not.

Oh clearly better, when looking at the season as a whole. Soldado didn't start strongly and was dropped eventually, after four months of playing.

But over the last 9 months Adebayor has been awful, in spite of starting pretty much every single league game. When does his "was dropped eventually" come about?

Awful for 9 months?

His season started in late December and he banged in 14 goals by May.

Then it was the summer. He has not been great this season, but he has still scored two goals from open play in 8 games.

Apparently thats ok for 30 odd games, so whats the problem..

Last edited:
I'd like to see us play our strongest team, that doesnt include playing our 3rd choice striker.

Its funny cos when Ade scored last week, the common vibe among a certain crowd was "I dont care that he scored, he should be dropped and was terrible".....but miss a vital pen, miss a sitter and its all "yeah but look at his assists"

Awful for 9 months?

His season started in late December and he banged in 14 goals by May.

Then it was the summer. He has not been great this season, but he has still scored two goals from open play in 8 games.

Apparently thats ok for 30 odd games, so whats the problem..

Ok change 9 months for five and a half and answer the question, when does his "was eventually dropped" come around?

(5 months of football since mid Feb, counting May and Aug as half months)

Are you not willing to accept that players coming into a new league may not hit the ground running like "proven" PL players?

Yes.
Are you willing to accept that missing open goals, one on ones, sitters week in week out, and having a total of 6 shots on target in a season is not ok for a 26M striker, and that by not scoring goals, even against shit teams does not propell him to a PL starting place in front of two strikers that do actually score goals, despite their own shorcomings.

No, thought not.

It absolutely baffles me that people can STILL be defending Adebayor. What the fuck do you even see in him? What does he offer the team? He has absolutely no strengths in terms of his footballing ability. Dribbling? Nope. Shooting? Nope. Passing? Nope. Control? Nope. Heading? Nope. Positioniong? Nope.

Even when Ade is playing at his absolute best, he is still just a guy who floats about and plays decent inter-play. He never imposes himself on any game physically and he has only ever hit about 2 shots in his Spurs career that made me think he might actually be able to strike a ball better than your average pub team player.
What do people actually see in this guy?

Yes.
Are you willing to accept that missing open goals, one on ones, sitters, and having a total of 6 shots on target in a season is not ok for a 26M striker, and that by not scoring goals, even again shit teams does not propell him to a PL starting place in front of two strikers that do actually score goals, despite their own shorcomings.

No, thought not.
Obviously I would have wanted him to hit the ground running a lot better than he did but I also am willing to give a guy more than 12 months before writing him, 12 months that saw us get rid of 2 managers. Are you willing to accept that confidence plays a large part in how most footballers (striker especially) operate? And that Ade is a temperamental inconsistent forward and has been for much of his career?

Our current strongest team does not include Ade
On form you'd have to say Kane deserves to be ahead of Adebayor. Just as Ade deserves to be ahead of Soldado.

The funny thing is, you talking about the internets, your issues with Ade are 100% non football related.. :avbhumph:

Back
Top Bottom