Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Took his volley really well (although i think as a keeper id be disappointed to not have at least *tried* getting a hand to it, it was pretty close to his body in all honesty) and hopefully this kicks on for him. The miss was a bit of a doozy though, glad that happened before the goal rather than after. The talent is all there to see but i do feel he's still suffering from stage fright and he really shouldnt be by now. Desperately want him to be a success as there's clearly a good footballer in there, hes popular with the rest of the boys and seems a top chap.
Give a complement - then take it?

Soldado can't do right for doing wrong?

Or Lindemanns? both nice and cheapish, but not cheap, if you get my drift.
I was at Lindemanns in the Hunter Valley NSW recently.
Brilliant, guy from out of the 60s ask you what wine type you like and then we worked through Shiraz from cheapest to dearest. Staggered our of there very happy!!

Give a complement - then take it?

Soldado can't do right for doing wrong?

I dont see that he took the compliment back....It would be silly to think that we have suddenly got the Soldado we hoped for because he scored last night.

He still had a poor game, but if he can add goals to poor performances, its a massive step in the right direction.

As many are saying, lets hope it gives him the boost he needs.

Its a fair analysis imo

Last edited:
To be honest my stream was such bad quality that I could barely tell who was who at times.

Was it Soldado who played that beautiful cushioned header where a combination of keeper and post kept the ball out?

You should not judge the future for Soldado from judgement of his past?

He has had a good start to the pre/season - big improvement form last year. Lets see where it goes?

I'm all for it coming good for him.

What rubbish
Of course you can judge him on what he has done before. And he's done nothing for 12 months already, under two managers, and he was awful last night again. And pre-season forms means absolutely nothing. He's failed under two different managers, can't control a football and can't score.

I really can't underage how people remain optimistic about Soldado WITHOUT ignoring pretty much everything he has done in a Spurs shirt.

What rubbish
Of course you can judge him on what he has done before. And he's done nothing for 12 months already, under two managers, and he was awful last night again. And pre-season forms means absolutely nothing. He's failed under two different managers, can't control a football and can't score.

I really can't underage how people remain optimistic about Soldado WITHOUT ignoring pretty much everything he has done in a Spurs shirt.
So you want him to continue to struggle just that you can be proven right or because he struggled before therefore he can never turn it around?

:paulinhofacepalm:

Last edited:
What rubbish

He had a very poor first half, along with a few others, notably Holtby and Paulinho, who appear to be getting a pass in their post match critique.

What was encouraging was how much better (in attack) we looked when these two came off. These two constantly gave away the ball and were basically overrun, only Kane was able to contribute in this setup. The moment Chadli, Dembele and Lamela came on our whole attack INCLUDING Soldado became more fluid. Soldado's and Chadli's movement off the ball contributed to Kanes goal for example. I am guessing but if you have someone who is able to hold the ball higher up the pitch as Chadli, Dembele, Lamela and Kane all can and did do then as a forward you know that if you are having to make multiple runs they are not for nothing.

What rubbish

For you to judge him on last seasons form, he would be finished (pessimist) - I believe, a lot of his failure was out of his control so should be given an opportunity to prove his worth.

I can't ignore what he has achieved so far this season (optimist). He has scored two goals form open play, having started theses two games - Celtic and Limassol - you can't ask more than that, from him. Yes, the jury is out and we will need to see how he progresses but allow it to happen without negative obstacles - there are no excuses this season for him and I would be the first to get rid if he fails but only after giving him the chance.

We were awful last season but finished 6th with our best player leaving, forwards firing blanks, managers with their heads up their backsides and injuries that would cripple most teams ambitions. We do not need much of an improvement to better this season and Soldado could be a part of it, I'm sure.

He had a very poor first half, along with a few others, notably Holtby and Paulinho, who appear to be getting a pass in their post match critique.

What was encouraging was how much better (in attack) we looked when these two came off. These two constantly gave away the ball and were basically overrun, only Kane was able to contribute in this setup. The moment Chadli, Dembele and Lamela came on our whole attack INCLUDING Soldado became more fluid. Soldado's and Chadli's movement off the ball contributed to Kanes goal for example. I am guessing but if you have someone who is able to hold the ball higher up the pitch as Chadli, Dembele, Lamela and Kane all can and did do then as a forward you know that if you are having to make multiple runs they are not for nothing.
lamela ?

Yes that's right you cretin. I want players to fail at Spurs just so I can say "I told you so".
Your post very much implies so or at the very least follows the notion of 'he was poor before, therefore will be poor again'. Your logic is bizarre to say the least. Cretin.

To be honest my stream was such bad quality that I could barely tell who was who at times.

Was it Soldado who played that beautiful cushioned header where a combination of keeper and post kept the ball out?
Yeah that was a lovely set up by Soldado. The point of being a striker is to make the instances that matter count, he's never going to boss a game physically and he's not going to run with the ball like a Suarez but if he can keep on netting and setting things up I'd be delighted. Saw enough of him at Valencia to basically even out last year.

What rubbish

Judging someone on what has come before surely cannot be limited to just twelve months in a Spurs shirt? That's extremely short sighted, whether or not he is suited to our league or the system which he is being asked to play he can score goals because he has shown it before his time with us. It's far to early to get excited this season, I agree but this is someone that is described as a goal scorer. If he can get things put on a plate for him, of balls of the quality like last night, maybe, just maybe, there is hope for him.

I really don't understand how people remain pessimistic about Soldado WITH ignoring pretty much everything he has done not in a Spurs shirt.

Before people start moaning because he goals were scored in Spain, Ronaldo and Messi are rightly lauded as world greats and usually score 30-50 goals in their league. That same league is where Soldado scored his goals.

Your post very much implies so or at the very least follows the notion of 'he was poor before, therefore will be poor again'. Your logic is bizarre to say the least. Cretin.

Well perhaps if you actually read through the chat I had been having with Mr S Pippo you might have it in the right context - but I guess that doesn't matter to you because you are just a gooner troll with nothing better to do, so I won't bother continuing to contribute to this or any more conversations with you in the future.

Well perhaps if you actually read through the chat I had been having with Mr S Pippo you might have it in the right context - but I guess that doesn't matter to you because you are just a gooner troll with nothing better to do, so I won't bother continuing to contribute to this or any more conversations with you in the future.

You forgot multi cunt

:adethumbup:

I really don't understand how people remain pessimistic about Soldado WITH ignoring pretty much everything he has done not in a Spurs shirt.

Well that's exactly the point isn't it. I don't follow Spanish football so I had never heard of him before last summer. And what's more I don't care what he has done in Spain ... I am a spurs fan, so the only thing that matters to me is what he has done at Spurs - which is basically the square root of fuck-all for an entire year.

I won't come back to this thread after this post as it's clearly for the optimists. To those who still think Soldado will come good, I take my hat off to you. Honestly I do. I do because he hasn't shown ANYTHING in the last year that makes me think he will ever be anything other then a total flop at Spurs. Hope I am proved wrong.

Yes that's right you cretin. I want players to fail at Spurs just so I can say "I told you so".
As has been quoted before, last season he did have some major family/personal issues that would impact on anyone: So while some will continue to be judge him for what he has not done in a Spurs shirt to date, lets remember he is a recent Spurs arrival at this time and deserved of another go.

Back
Top Bottom