Richarlison

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I like Richie. He works his balls off and he’s been playing well recently.

This.

The problem is if he’s not a regular starter I don’t think he has the technical ability to come in and be an impact player. His only decent form for us has come when he’s had a run of consecutive games no matter how he plays.

Could well be our dilemma moving fwd.....

(I crossed the last part out because there were already chinks of light, performance-wise, before his goal-scoring run kicked in this season...... A goal-scoring run which FWIW helped carry us through this exceptionally shitty injury/cards/int. cups spell since the Chav game.)

....In a similar vein of quandary; if the tactical-rotation between Son & Rich can be handled appropriately then between them they can pose a viable solution at ST, but I similarly think chopping and changing with Son rotating between LW, ST or bench will likely play into his own proven tendency for droughts and purple patches alike.

When the season started I predicted that Son would end the season as ST (and that it was a season of evaluating exactly who suits us and where for ALL our attackers)....... I've not wavered from either.

I don't think there's many (any?) here that have portrayed Rich as the unquestionable answer to our ST needs for the coming years tho. Some people are all to keen to mis-represent people embracing his upturn and getting behind him as the former.

Classic case being this guy (who has openly claimed that unless you think Rich is useless, does nothing but get the odd tap-in and is utterly shit then "you don't know football":

Where are the people praising richarlison...?

Doesn't play well = Doesn't get praised..... Bit of a headfuck for you is it?

It's you shitting on him when he DOES play well that's the notable phenomena here, dickhead.

The people praising him previously haven't been doing so without reason. He's not been praised without question so STFU and stop pretending that's what's been going on.

Last edited:
We obviously need to upgrade and tbh we will in the summer in my opinion.

But reactions today towards his performance are just typical Tottenham. Fans just waiting to get on his back after 10 games of not being able to do so.

He was no worse than Maddison today. Who as our creative outlet was diabolical. In fact, I'd argue we've looked worse since Maddison has come back into the team tbh, but say it quietly eh!

It's not, watch his performance against Brighton, it was pretty much the same thing, sloppy play and failing to bring others into the game, his part for the winning goal really masked his performance, he had moments like that against Everton, he was one of the ones who ended up giving the ball away for the sequence for their equaliser as well but again his goals masked things.

I've had a long standing notion that the guy isn't good enough and we need to upgrade but unfortunately if you even dare to point that out you get turned on by the mob and get called a hater.

Been calling for Son to be our main man up front for ages and even though he's been marked out of games playing as a lone striker he just does a better job of handling the ball when he gets it and stretches the opps defence as well.

No one is going to point out how poor Maddison is like that because they know he is good enough and more likely a blip then his true form, it's nothing to do with being reactionary.

It's not, watch his performance against Brighton, it was pretty much the same thing, sloppy play and failing to bring others into the game, his part for the winning goal really masked his performance, he had moments like that against Everton, he was one of the ones who ended up giving the ball away for the sequence for their equaliser as well but again his goals masked things.

I've had a long standing notion that the guy isn't good enough and we need to upgrade but unfortunately if you even dare to point that out you get turned on by the mob and get called a hater.

Been calling for Son to be our main man up front for ages and even though he's been marked out of games playing as a lone striker he just does a better job of handling the ball when he gets it and stretches the opps defence as well.

No one is going to point out how poor Maddison is like that because they know he is good enough and more likely a blip then his true form, it's nothing to do with being reactionary.

There was a time in the first half where Son and Kulu was wide open in the penalty box...all richarlison had to do was make a simple pass....instead shoots it way off target...

Another time when Son makes the sense across the entire pitch was...wide open in the penalty box...instead of passing it to maddison who can play the ball the son....he passes to ball straight to the wolves player.

Anybody protecting this man is delusional...these are mistakes a championship level player would not make.

Let’s be honest,we are all happy he’s turned his form around from early season and has got some really important goals but I’m sure most agree he’ll not take us to where we all want to be. He’s just not good enough. I think we’ll see Sonny back at centre forward soon because he offers more there than he does wide. The whole front line needs replaced but that won’t happen. Sonny is going to end up a player that comes off the bench for us and the rest in my eyes just don’t do enough consistently over a period of games and consistently enough in the 90 plus minutes. If we don’t fix the front player issues we will always be flirting with a challenge to the top 3 but never get there.

People just need to be honest with themselves about Richy and not get sucked into the storyline or the player.

I don't think everything is on him today but he is a problem when it comes to making the ball stick and lay it off to his teammates, he's just very sloppy and careless with the ball.

Regarding sloppyness... well on this level I think this one-touch and two-touch football is just his level.
He is not the kind of player who comfortably takes the ball under control, holding off two opposition players and then drops a shoulder and sets up a winger with angled pass.

But... like... there are VERY, EXTREMELY small number of players in the world football who can do that against EPL level defenders. Prime Lewa and prime Zlatan come to mind. Nowerdays - Haaland can do it. To SOME extent Isak can do it. Most of the time Kane could do it, though lately he kept dropping deeper to do it. And I'm most likely forgetting some, but these are only 3 strikers who I see could have done some REAL difference in the way we performed against Wolves as a team.

I find it highly unreasonable to expect that Richie would perform on the level so few ever could.

He did not do good, but we played really shit football as a team, so singling him out feels unfair to me tbh.

We obviously need to upgrade and tbh we will in the summer in my opinion.

But reactions today towards his performance are just typical Tottenham. Fans just waiting to get on his back after 10 games of not being able to do so.

He was no worse than Maddison today. Who as our creative outlet was diabolical. In fact, I'd argue we've looked worse since Maddison has come back into the team tbh, but say it quietly eh!

I agree with Richie part, but I disagree with Madders part.

Yea, he was not on his season-start level quite yet, but "diabolical" is too much. He was pretty much only player trying to actually MOVE and open up and get the ball moving faster when most others felt comfortable STANDING around Wolves box, hoping for a miracle.

There was a time in the first half where Son and Kulu was wide open in the penalty box...all richarlison had to do was make a simple pass....instead shoots it way off target...

Another time when Son makes the sense across the entire pitch was...wide open in the penalty box...instead of passing it to maddison who can play the ball the son....he passes to ball straight to the wolves player.

Anybody protecting this man is delusional...these are mistakes a championship level player would not make.

Again - not saying that Richie wasn't bad in Wolves game.

But if you have any critical thinking ability in you, you would understand that the bold part is bullshit.

Such "easy passes" are being missed by players like Son, Kane, Haaland, Foden ... etc. So these are mistakes that championsip and crowned champions, even multiple golden-ball winners do. It is beyond absurd to say they never misplace passes like that, sorry.

Regarding sloppyness... well on this level I think this one-touch and two-touch football is just his level.
He is not the kind of player who comfortably takes the ball under control, holding off two opposition players and then drops a shoulder and sets up a winger with angled pass.

But... like... there are VERY, EXTREMELY small number of players in the world football who can do that against EPL level defenders. Prime Lewa and prime Zlatan come to mind. Nowerdays - Haaland can do it. To SOME extent Isak can do it. Most of the time Kane could do it, though lately he kept dropping deeper to do it. And I'm most likely forgetting some, but these are only 3 strikers who I see could have done some REAL difference in the way we performed against Wolves as a team.

I find it highly unreasonable to expect that Richie would perform on the level so few ever could.

He did not do good, but we played really shit football as a team, so singling him out feels unfair to me tbh.

Trust someone on this forum who thinks there's no middle ground between Richarlison and Prime Lewandowski, Jesus Christ lmao

Your asking a footballer to do the very very basics of hold up play and passing and he's extremely sloppy at both, that's just a fact. I'm not asking him to be prime Vieri - all he has to do is cut down on the sloppiness when he has the ball.

Ivan Toney can hold the ball up a million times better than Richy, so can Ollie Watkins, Dominic fucking Solanke is better at using the ball than Richy for God's sake

I agree with Richie part, but I disagree with Madders part.

Yea, he was not on his season-start level quite yet, but "diabolical" is too much. He was pretty much only player trying to actually MOVE and open up and get the ball moving faster when most others felt comfortable STANDING around Wolves box, hoping for a miracle.
Madders was the one who was trying to make it happen and some of his runs in the first half were excellent. I was surprised he made as many as he did because only Porro really has the ability to find those runs.

Quite a revealing way to view things...... Childish even (much like your prior puerile "Why are his fans not praising him this weekend" crap)............. Makes sense.

Calling out your bollocks doesn't not equate to "protecting" the player.

Certain criticism is fair; whereas most of what you post on the subject is just blinkered hating and strawman internet 'wah'.

Quite a revealing way to view things...... Childish even (much like your prior puerile "Why are his fans not praising him this weekend" crap)............. Makes sense.

Calling out your bollocks doesn't not equate to "protecting" the player.

Certain criticism is fair; whereas most of what you post on the subject is just blinkered hating and strawman internet 'wah'.

.....?

Serious question...when have you ever seen a good player in Richarlison...? He was average at best at everton...that is childish...? LOL.

Trust someone on this forum who thinks there's no middle ground between Richarlison and Prime Lewandowski, Jesus Christ lmao

Your asking a footballer to do the very very basics of hold up play and passing and he's extremely sloppy at both, that's just a fact. I'm not asking him to be prime Vieri - all he has to do is cut down on the sloppiness when he has the ball.

Ivan Toney can hold the ball up a million times better than Richy, so can Ollie Watkins, Dominic fucking Solanke is better at using the ball than Richy for God's sake

Just read again what I wrote.

And look how we played. No one spread the game. No one took on opposition defenders.
Wolves defense and midfield could comfortably just pack around Richie in this game. Toney, Watkins, Solanke - neither of them would have done absolutely nothing in such situation. Absolutely nothing.

I am not saying that there is no middle ground between prime Lewa and Richie.
I am saying that in this game, the way we played, it would have required level of prime Lewa or prime Ibra to do something against 2 or 3 defenders, all alone, with 0 room created by the whole team.

Blaming the forwards for us not winning is like blaming a machine gunner for not killing enough of the enemy and ignoring that nobody supplied him with bullets.
Sarr and Bissouma are ok going forwards but traffic cones in defence.
Madison and Richie were getting balls played to them when they were surrounded and consequently got robbed by the numbers.
Sarr and Bissouma looked amazed that the ball was coming straight back at them accompanied by a stream of fast moving people in red shirts.

Should end the season on 14 or 15 goals which is his peak. Never scored more than 13 I believe .
So would be a good time to sell in the summer off that back of that

Good return and I like him but his all round game is severely lacking in terms of hold up play, and passing.
Alternatively if he's happy to be a bench option then I'd be happy with that

Back
Top Bottom