Reality Check

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Liverpool was a blip against a team that are genuinely better than us. We still had the tradmarks of a Pochettino gameplan in that we were trying to press them high up the field and play possession football. It didnt work, they were better than us and all we have to do is have faith and move on.

Reality check, yes, but one result doesn't undo our good work so far this season.

Onwards. Upwards.

It's not a blip. Even west ham had uncontested cross after cross after cross waved into our penalty area by Rose. They were just shit enough not to capitalize on it.

If we continue to put Naughyon, Rose, Townsend, Lennon etc on the pitch, managers will target their lack of ability to hold a back line/shape or counter from their 'creative' breakdowns.

yCUl9kf.gif

I'm not a homophobe, the GIF made me laugh and this seemed a perfect place to put it, apols if offended. x

:adebaehug:

I like how arseface went from kneejerking to roses good game = him being a good defender to kneejerking that this team needs an overhaul. Haha.

We went down, had our guts ripped out early because your previous kneejerk Rose was out of position.

But I'm sure your next kneejerk is right eh? More kneejerks than a River Dance performance.

Im not of the opinion that Rose and Townsend are to blame for the goals...Capoue and two CBs no where to be seen for either of those goals.

Jan might have been out of position....but he was also turned inside out, and skinned like he didnt exist....then there was fuck all cover in the middle, with everyone ball watching and no RB picking up Sterling.

Im not of the opinion that Rose and Townsend are to blame for the goals...Capoue and two CBs no where to be seen for either of those goals.

Jan might have been out of position....but he was also turned inside out, and skinned like he didnt exist....then there was fuck all cover in the middle, with everyone ball watching and no RB picking up Sterling.

It's because the cover in the middle (jan and bentaleb) were dragged wide to cover for Rose who's more interested in personal glory.

Our cover were covering.

Rose was was also ball watching for the initial header that should have been a goal.

He's not a defender. He causes so much chaos off the ball. Our shape is fucked. And even when he is in position, he's ball watching and runners have a field day.

I like how arseface went from kneejerking to roses good game = him being a good defender to kneejerking that this team needs an overhaul. Haha.

We went down, had our guts ripped out early because your previous kneejerk Rose was out of position.

But I'm sure your next kneejerk is right eh? More kneejerks than a River Dance performance.

I really don't think that first goal ripped our guts out... the squad rebounded from that fairly well I thought as, despite a few lightning fast counterattacks (and that Balotelli fuck up) we had them pinned back for the majority of the first half. Chadli was unlucky to shoot right at Mignolet, and shit Joe Allen prevented Lamela and Ade from being away 2v2 vs, which, with Lamela on his current form, I'd trust him to take advantage of. It certainly wasn't anywhere near as bad as our reaction to last season's goal.

The game was a contest until that fucking scum Joe Allen went over like a piece of scythed wheat in the wind in the box. Townsend on after that and that's all she wrote.

And yes Rose was out of position, but let's not forget how dreadful Lloris' kicking was. Time and again he had our defense scrambling with passes straight to Liverpool.

Yesterday was far from a performance to be ashamed of-- by all accounts Poch has a difficult system to master, yet we looked far better against Liverpool than last year in only his third game in charge. Yes the final scoreline was a shame, but I think it was far from indicative of our play overall-- just of our inability to finish. The chances were there, it just wasn't our day.

Last edited:

There's (at least) 4, probably 5 teams with a much stronger squad. we had 3 seasons in a row of solid top 4 chances and in different ways, messed them up. Not saying it's impossible but as it stands I'd say our best chance is hoping a number of the teams above us suffer some hefty injuries.

Next season is another story though.

I really don't think that first goal ripped our guts out... the squad rebounded from that fairly well I thought as, despite a few lightning fast counterattacks (and that Balotelli fuck up) we had them pinned back for the majority of the first half. Chadli was unlucky to shoot right at Mignolet, and shit Joe Allen prevented Lamela and Ade from being away 2v2 vs, which, with Lamela on his current form, I'd trust him to take advantage of. It certainly wasn't anywhere near as bad as our reaction to last season's goal.

The game was a contest until that fucking scum Joe Allen went over like a piece of scythed wheat in the wind in the box. Townsend on after that and that's all she wrote.

And yes Rose was out of position, but let's not forget how dreadful Lloris' kicking was. Time and again he had our defense scrambling with passes straight to Liverpool.

Yesterday was far from a performance to be ashamed of-- by all accounts Poch has a difficult system to master, yet we looked far better against Liverpool than last year in only his third game in charge. Yes the final scoreline was a shame, but I think it was far from indicative of our play overall-- just of our inability to finish. The chances were there, it just wasn't our day.

I agree with a lot of that, but it was their day because they had a plan. Attack the flanks. We need to take that off the table and compete in all areas.

Last week Poch was lauded as the second coming of Bill Nic, having master-minded massive victories such as

- last minute lucky win over a bottom 8 side
- win over a Championship side
- wins over some Cypriot pig farmers

In our first test of reasonable substance we were completely and utterly found out and embarrassed - no gut, no fight, no spark, no system - sound familiar? Not to mention leaving Pauilnho outside the squad. Apart from Lamela and Dyer players looks disinterested - I thought AVB was the problem?

With few days left if this transfer season, I genuinely hope we can address some of the glaring issues in a team which is substantially short on quality in number of areas, namely LW, Striker, and a Left Back

I really want Dear Poch to succeed but he needs the right tools along with a clear direction. We need to spend.
rR45m8s.gif

Back
Top Bottom