Paulinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If the agent has any faith in his ability to force a transfer from Tottenham to Chelsea after just a single season then he is - by definition - either an absolutely fucking terrible agent, or the single best agent working in world football today.

Also, he's hardly lit the world on fire. He's put on two or three excellent performances this season, and many anonymous ones. There's just a glimpse that with a season under his belt he'll be a more impressive player next season, but he has been VERY far from the level that would probably pique Mourinho's desire, or register any interest from Real Madrid, which are the two clubs that he's been linked with. All of this speculation just reeks of his agent trying to create rumors in the press that don't have any basis in reality. Maybe Chelsea and Madrid had some interest in him before he moved to Spurs, so now when Pauline hasn't blown the doors of the expectations for him this season and hasn't completely nailed down a starting spot his agent is dropping a line to a friendly reporter or two that there's some interest, when in actuality that is out of date and probably not accurate in the first place. Doesn't mean that they're "coming in for him."

You're missing my point but never mind. Maybe I've not put it well in my previous posts.

Last year, I shared a train journey with a premier league youth team manager and I was horrified/fascinated by what he told me about the top clubs' antics regarding scouting and transfers. Hence my comment about possible deals.

I agree with your observations about Paulinho's performances by the way.

Paulinho just did an interview regarding the times he was dropped by avb and Shershizzle

At Corinthians, I had to wait for over a year to get in the starting line-up, when the team had the likes of Jucilei and Elias.

“Then, when there was a change of manager, I kept playing and I didn’t have any problems with [Tim Sherwood]. Since I returned from injury I played three or four games [in a row].

“I then was dropped back to the bench but came back into the line-up for the final six games. There are no problems at all.

artbul2.png
http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2014/06/chelsea-transfers-paulinho-happy-at-tottenham-hotspur/

Paulinho just did an interview regarding the times he was dropped by avb and Shershizzle

At Corinthians, I had to wait for over a year to get in the starting line-up, when the team had the likes of Jucilei and Elias.

“Then, when there was a change of manager, I kept playing and I didn’t have any problems with [Tim Sherwood]. Since I returned from injury I played three or four games [in a row].

“I then was dropped back to the bench but came back into the line-up for the final six games. There are no problems at all.

artbul2.png
http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2014/06/chelsea-transfers-paulinho-happy-at-tottenham-hotspur/

On that note, here's what he just said about falling outs
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/381718/WATCH-Paulinho-is-happy-at-Tottenham-and-did-NOT-fall-out-with-Tim-Sherwood

lol, that first picture would be great for a smiley

I honestly think that if Pauli has a good world cup and somebody comes in with a decent offer we should cash out. Doesn't tick enough boxes in midfield for me. If the rumours about Chelsea are true then they can have him, add to their 2000 other attacking midfielders.

I honestly think that if Pauli has a good world cup and somebody comes in with a decent offer we should cash out. Doesn't tick enough boxes in midfield for me. If the rumours about Chelsea are true then they can have him, add to their 2000 other attacking midfielders.

I don't think we will, but I do agree with you. Paulinho is going to have to make some rather major adjustments to his game to adapt to Poch's system, but I do think he can do it as he does already have some of the necessary technicalities in place. For instance, Paulinho's ability to find space in the box would be very useful considering how much width Poch likes to use width, but conversely his pace of play and recycling of ball is going to have to enhance it he wants to be the "controller from deep." Either he's going to have to develop the ability to pass through the air to pick out the high pressers or he's going to have to learn to attack with more aggression and incisiveness to be able to be effective while keeping it on the ground.

Sorry guys but HE SAYS HE'S STAYING

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/9335064/Paulinho-Not-Looking-For-Exit

The Brazilian midfielder joined Spurs from Corinthians in a big-money deal last summer but struggled to produce the type of consistent performances the club expected.
He was a regular starter early on but then went in and out of the side under Tim Sherwood and there were doubts as to whether he would be included in Brazil's squad for the World Cup.
The 25-year-old did ultimately make the cut and is currently preparing for the tournament on home soil with the rest of Luiz Felipe Scolari's squad.
Paulinho has now admitted that he did feel frustrated at times last season, but he was determined to stay strong and fight for his place in the team.
Having had a tough time at the start of his career with Lithuanian club FC Vilnius and LKS Lodz in Poland, Paulinho is desperate to be successful at Spurs.
He told Globo Esporte: "I was on bench for a period, but I never considered returning to Brazil.
"It's complicated for a player when he goes to Europe, you have to be strong.
"I went through complicated situations in Lithuania and Poland and returned to Brazil."
Paulinho added: "Of course I did talk with my agent, it's normal when you are upset.
"But the talk of returning to Brazil never existed, it never crossed my mind."

I don't understand why some people desperately want him to go. Not only managers need time to adjust to a new club, players do too. He hasn't had that bad a season and who knows, he might do extremely well under Poch.

I don't understand why some people desperately want him to go. Not only managers need time to adjust to a new club, players do too. He hasn't had that bad a season and who knows, he might do extremely well under Poch.

I'm glad Paulinho, jan, ade, eriksen, Llorris etc have said they are happy at spurs. We really need to start building on the win % Sherwood got rolling.

Some fans expect too much too quickly. Paulinho's first season was absolutely fine for a first season - a season where he had to adjust to two different managers, neither of which were deemed good enough to keep their jobs.
I think if a great offer came in for Paulinho then we should take it, but only a great offer, and only because we have lots of other midfield options too. If he stays, which he probably will, then that is absolutely fine by me. He has great skill and technical ability, gets forward and covers a lot of ground in a game. I expect that he will stay and barring injuries he should have an improved second season with us under, hopefully, a more competent manager.

I don't understand why people on here are so quick to try and sell him on. He is a top class player. Only Ade and Eriksen scored more from open play last season.

I sometimes wonder how subjective people are being over certain players.

I don't understand why people on here are so quick to try and sell him on. He is a top class player. Only Ade and Eriksen scored more from open play last season.

I sometimes wonder how subjective people are being over certain players.

Subjective? What reason would someone have to subjectively take issue with Paulinho?

Paulinho had a great first season - proven Brazilian international, goals from open play, great engine

Selling him would make 0 sense, imv

I think some of our 'fans' would moan even at Messi

I think the concerns people have had during the season have been more to do with his reluctance to get 'stuck in', we're used to seeing body-on-the-line midfielders, so it's different to not get that from him I guess (rumours of non-existant injuries, moving in the wall, dip in form mid season...).

I would only sell him if was a £20m+ fee, as I do think he's talented, but I also like Holtby and want to clear space for him :holtbytongue:

I think the concerns people have had during the season have been more to do with his reluctance to get 'stuck in', we're used to seeing body-on-the-line midfielders, so it's different to not get that from him I guess (rumours of non-existant injuries, moving in the wall, dip in form mid season...).

I would only sell him if was a £20m+ fee, as I do think he's talented, but I also like Holtby and want to clear space for him :holtbytongue:

Playing for Brazil in the first 11 most likely so a good world cup and 25-30 million would not be beyond asking.

It's not a case of 'sell him he's not good enough' - Paulinho is clearly a good player at what he does, otherwise he wouldn't be going to Brazil and we wouldn't have bought him for 18m. My concern with him is that his skillset is very limited (from what we have seen so far at Spurs) and he doesn't bring enough to our midfield. His defensive capabilities are not great, his passing isn't great, his engine and drive isn't great. This means his 'role' is very limited and we have to put players around him to compensate.

I agree that if he is still at Spurs next season I wouldn't be unhappy - he is a good player. I just think it might be a struggle to find top form for him without people around him that can 'free him up' so to speak.

I respect the defenders of Paulinho and admire their loyalty for the guy, but as CJJ CJJ and BAE32 BAE32 , have each pointed out, we've made it quite clear by now that we done think he's a poor player and it's not that we adamantly want the guy out, it's simply that for what we could likely fetch for him we would argue we could improve upon it. I have no illusions, he most certainly will not be sold this summer without a massive bid coming in. As such, I'm absolutely fine with it. I do have my concerns of him working in Poch's system (I think Holtby would be much better for it sitting next to the CDM, and especially reinforcing a more advanced right side), but he also has some traits that could see him work quite well such as his ability to find space in the box on the end of crosses.

So please gentlemen, I can assure you there is nothing "subjective" or "naive" in our arguments, in fact if anything it's almost too objective. Yet more, it could be argued that his supporters are subjective because he's a Brazilian international, so it goes both ways. Shall we not insult the validity of our thought processes both for and against then, yeah?

Subjective? What reason would someone have to subjectively take issue with Paulinho?

Say if someone was posting about selling Paulinho for months, then he ends up one of our top scorers, called up for the world cup and scores our first goal in the first 15 mins on the last day of the season (which we haven't done all season), then the person who wanted to sell him says things like "it's only villa" etc.

Things like that.

So please gentlemen, I can assure you there is nothing "subjective" or "naive" in our arguments, in fact if anything it's almost too objective.

OK mr kneejerky. When he first signed:

Cahspur: "Great player, very glad to have him."

A few months later:

Cahspur: "If AVB does want him I hope we sell. More suiting options per our needs available for less than we'd make."

75416.jpg

Say if someone was posting about selling Paulinho for months, then he ends up one of our top scorers, called up for the world cup and scores our first goal in the first 15 mins on the last day of the season (which we haven't done all season), then the person who wanted to sell him says things like "it's only villa" etc.

Things like that.

I suggest you have another look at the definition of the word then. Paulinho has also started in almost every Brazilian match since the Confederations Cup, there's no need for you to continue acting as though it was a revelation that he was called up.

Back
Top Bottom