Paulinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

17 million for that........WOW

he scored 6 goals in 23 starts, 25 games total. In a team playing shit. Paulinho will not single handledly make a team good, he relies on others playing well to be effective. I feel he adds something different to the team something our current midfields do very little off - runs into the box. he can dribble, pass, score and tackle. Sure his close control isnt great and nether is he aggressive enough but i still feel under all this there is a potential gem if played right. Poch has shown he can transform players, why not pauli? Considering he played better than chadli and verts last year why cant pauli be improved too?

Could have a future with is if he mans up a bit!
Not all is lost as of yet but if you come on in a huge game against Chelsea and we're winning then you have to get stuck in. Holtby would have and I couldn't help but feel this at the time.

Yeah he does need to let go of the fear a bit, but he's probably still having nightmares about Charlie Adam. And to be honest I thought he did well enough when he came on.

Its odd, cos I was one of his biggest doubters, but I do miss him (where as his biggest backers never speak his name anymore)...I always saw him as a decent squad player, and still do.

I think Pauli showed more of a footballing brain than Holtby would have, in his half hour which was needed.

If you could put Holtby's determination, energy and drive into Paulinho we would have some player. I think they both have good vision and execution, but I think Holtby would have tried too hard and lost the plot in this one.

Fair enough.

It's so strange seeing him now and to remember he used to be touted as an "energy-player".
That's pretty much what he hasn't been for us. Something has obviously warped his mind and maybe, just maybe, there's more than a decent player in there could it be turned back.

Absolute bollocks with all due respect.
Whilst Dembele hasn't lived up to our expectations we've still seen glimpses of how good he can be. He's won us games.
I've seen hardly anything from Paulinho. He has lost us games. I find it difficult to support 'one of our own' who jumps out of tackles.
Pauli has actually won us a fair few games... Dembele scored the winner on his debut and got the winner against Lyon. Pauli however got the last minute winner against Cardiff, scored the equalizer against Hull, scored the important first goal against Fulham. As well as many important cup goals and a few goals in high scoring wins.

I prefer Dembele personally but Paulinho is much more a match winner than Dembele.

Last edited:
Fair enough.

It's so strange seeing him now and to remember he used to be touted as an "energy-player".
That's pretty much what he hasn't been for us. Something has obviously warped his mind and maybe, just maybe, there's more than a decent player in there could it be turned back.
As Shnadsy says above, he WAS a high energy player before the Adam tackle. Look at Lennon when he got his injury in 09/10, took him another 12 months to take a player on again and has never really been the same, his goals and assists for the first half of that season was insane and he's never come anywhere near it since. Is it a mental block that he got from that injury? I reckon it probably was.

Priceless....so now it's the "adam tackle" that is the reason for his shitness. Is it the adam tackles fault that is the reason that he can only pass the ball sideways and backwards at the pace of a snail?

I could be wrong here, but I'm sure I heard a stat that in one of the world cup games, he went a whole half without touching the ball?

Priceless....so now it's the "adam tackle" that is the reason for his shitness. Is it the adam tackles fault that is the reason that he can only pass the ball sideways and backwards at the pace of a snail?

I could be wrong here, but I'm sure I heard a stat that in one of the world cup games, he went a whole half without touching the ball?
I think that was the 1st half of the 3rd place playoff.

I've slagged off Paulinho as much as any player I've seen at Spurs besides maybe Darren Bent but I have to say he looked quite good in his appearance against Chelsea. I actually wouldn't be mad to see him get a start against Burnley (though I'm sure I'll be upset afterwards for this moment of madness of thinking Paulinho isn't utter shit).

so that beautiful pinpoint pass to Kane in the box against Chelsea that almost resulted in Kane's hat trick was sideways, was it?

Last season was last season... all I'm suggesting is that folks put aside any ill will they hold towards Paulinho and watch him objectively. There's a good player in there, and Poch could very well be the manager to help Pauli realize the potential that prompted the board to shell out 17 mil for him.

Back
Top Bottom