Paulinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He did all right in ONE bloody game!

See: Dembele. Yet everyone is acting like his performance was like jesus rising on fucking easter. I love Dembele, but nobody can act like he hasn't been just as disappointing as Pauli. All I'm saying is that it's funny how most of us act like we're so poor and pitiful because of the media bias, but we can't even bring ourselves to support one of our own after a good performance without some sort of bullshit stipulation.

We bring it on ourselves, honestly.

It's funny how there's a thread on the main page about a media conspiracy against us when there's clearly a bias within our own fan base against certain players. Paulinho came on against Chelsea and did superbly, yet everyone always has a 'yeah, but...' stipulation. The reality is that Paulinho played a very important role in helping us beat Chelsea. No buts about it.
Er, really?

See: Dembele. Yet everyone is acting like his performance was like jesus rising on fucking easter. I love Dembele, but nobody can act like he hasn't been just as disappointing as Pauli. All I'm saying is that it's funny how most of us act like we're so poor and pitiful because of the media bias, but we can't even bring ourselves to support one of our own after a good performance without some sort of bullshit stipulation.

Absolute bollocks with all due respect.
Whilst Dembele hasn't lived up to our expectations we've still seen glimpses of how good he can be. He's won us games.
I've seen hardly anything from Paulinho. He has lost us games. I find it difficult to support 'one of our own' who jumps out of tackles.

Wiki I've never seen you defend another player so fervently - you're getting to be obsessed with Pauli. He did ok, in a game we were comfortably winning, for 29 minutes. That's fine, but not worth your emotive comments IMO. People mentioning the challenge he pulled out of - nearly red carding himself in the process - is valid criticism on a forum. That incident was fact, not opinion - you're entitled to your opinion of him - just as others are, but let's keep it in perspective. All the poor and pitiful stuff is simply not true of most of us, and to use it to make a point about Paulinho is pretty desperate.

Wiki I've never seen you defend another player so fervently - you're getting to be obsessed with Pauli. He did ok, in a game we were comfortably winning, for 29 minutes. That's fine, but not worth your emotive comments IMO. People mentioning the challenge he pulled out of - nearly red carding himself in the process - is valid criticism on a forum. That incident was fact, not opinion - you're entitled to your opinion of him - just as others are, but let's keep it in perspective. All the poor and pitiful stuff is simply not true of most of us, and to use it to make a point about Paulinho is pretty desperate.

There's a big difference between could have and did. I think there's definitely something to be said for the amount of hate Pauli gets-- absolutely proven by everyone's negative responses to me saying originally saying Pauli played well and Poch made a good substitution and I think they both deserved recognition. He made some nice passes forward (something we don't usually see from our CMs) and, just as Chelsea were starting to find some rhythm, came on to disrupt their play from deep. I'm just curious as to why those aren't talking points, but a red card that never was is worthy of discussion?

He's won us games.
I've seen hardly anything from Paulinho. He has lost us games.
I find it difficult to support 'one of our own' who jumps out of tackles.

Really? Dembele might be my favorite player on the team besides Walker, but he was in no way any better than Paulinho last season. At any rate, my point was never to disparage Dembele-- just to say it's funny that everyone is ogling over his first good game of the season, meanwhile Paulinho puts in a decent shift and the immediate reaction to anyone even trying to point it out is nothing but negative.

There's a big difference between could have and did. I think there's definitely something to be said for the amount of hate Pauli gets-- absolutely proven by everyone's negative responses to me saying originally saying Pauli played well and Poch made a good substitution and I think they both deserved recognition. He made some nice passes forward (something we don't usually see from our CMs) and, just as Chelsea were starting to find some rhythm, came on to disrupt their play from deep. I'm just curious as to why those aren't talking points, but a red card that never was is worthy of discussion?

Really? Dembele might be my favorite player on the team besides Walker, but he was in no way any better than Paulinho last season. At any rate, my point was never to disparage Dembele-- just to say it's funny that everyone is ogling over his first good game of the season, meanwhile Paulinho puts in a decent shift and the immediate reaction to anyone even trying to point it out is nothing but negative.

It's not hate, it's just a refusal to see him as you do. Everyone isn't ogling over Dembele FFS, he did ok as well. You're making out that Pauli's 29 minutes (including stoppage time) won us the game. Dembele played for 81 minutes, so it's only natural that people think he played a bigger part in the win than Pauli - because he did. Poch trusts Dembele more than Paulinho - so do most Spurs fans - he and us might well be wrong, but I doubt it. What is it you see in him that others don't?

They both had terrible seasons last season but so did most of the team TBH. They both played well against Chelsea and made positive contributions. Paulinho does have a tendency to pull out of challenges which I think most people object to more as a commitment thing rather than Dembele's tendency to dribble aimlessly around the final third and not offer many incisive passes into the box.
At the moment neither of them look like any more than good yet flawed squad players and for the money we paid it's not enough.
They should both be making a strong case for being starters. I trust the manager will make the right call whether to stick or twist either in January or in the summer.

I've seen hardly anything from Paulinho. He has lost us games. I find it difficult to support 'one of our own' who jumps out of tackles.

got to call you out on this mate..pauli's won more games for us than dembele has..his was one of our better players last year in a piss poor team..i think with the team doing better pauli has a role to play, his goals from midfield may well be the difference between 4 or 5th...as much as i like bentaleb and mason, going forward I think they dont offer as much as they should, esp from two players who used to play the number 10 role..correct me if im wrong but pretty sure mason was quite prolific in the youth setup aswell

in case anyone forgot:

his shown in glimpses he has whats required...sure he has some faults, but honestly everyone played pretty shit last year, barring eriksen and ade..
I think theres more there than many give him credit for...
I personally would rather keep mason, bentaleb, dembele, pauli and carroll when back from loan and sell capoue, benji and whatever other deadwood i have forgotten about

Last edited:
Just watched the game from Paulinhos introduction and I gotta say Wiki is right.

I do not like one bit his fear of contact in a challenge, but that aside, his movement and passing was excellent, and gave us some impetus. During the game, I wrote "Paulinho has killed us".....it really wasnt the case.

Best Ive seen of him

Last edited:
Could have a future with is if he mans up a bit!
Not all is lost as of yet but if you come on in a huge game against Chelsea and we're winning then you have to get stuck in. Holtby would have and I couldn't help but feel this at the time.

Holtby would have and I couldn't help but feel this at the time

Its odd, cos I was one of his biggest doubters, but I do miss him (where as his biggest backers never speak his name anymore)...I always saw him as a decent squad player, and still do.

I think Pauli showed more of a footballing brain than Holtby would have, in his half hour which was needed.

If you could put Holtby's determination, energy and drive into Paulinho we would have some player. I think they both have good vision and execution, but I think Holtby would have tried too hard and lost the plot in this one.

Its odd, cos I was one of his biggest doubters, but I do miss him (where as his biggest backers never speak his name anymore)...I always saw him as a decent squad player, and still do.

I think Pauli showed more of a footballing brain than Holtby would have, in his half hour which was needed.

If you could put Holtby's determination, energy and drive into Paulinho we would have some player. I think they both have good vision and execution, but I think Holtby would have tried too hard and lost the plot in this one.
True. The last half hour called for calm, which is why Dembele did so well.
Holtby could well have got two quick yellows and been sent off within ten minutes

I think Pauli's got something to offer but against the better sides he needs to grow some bollocks. That said he done well when he came on against chavski. He does do a lord Lucan in a lot of games when he has needed to up his game.

Really mate.
Last season, Newcastle at home, Paulinho jumped out of a tackle on the half way line - they scored within seconds and we lost the game.

For all the people on here trying to convince themselves that invisiblinho has got a future here, you need to stop kidding yourselves, it's not going to happen.
He offers fuck all, if he is not gone in january, he will be gone in the summer. Get over it, even though it is amusing to read people's comments trying to find any glimmer of hope in any of his performances. People are also forgetting against chel53a he gave the ball away twice as soon as he came on in dangerous areas, also gave away a ridiculous free kick in a dangerous area because he bottled out of a challenge.
Remember the world cup? He has been a total waste of time and money...get rid asap!

got to call you out on this mate..pauli's won more games for us than dembele has..his was one of our better players last year in a piss poor team..i think with the team doing better pauli has a role to play, his goals from midfield may well be the difference between 4 or 5th...as much as i like bentaleb and mason, going forward I think they dont offer as much as they should, esp from two players who used to play the number 10 role..correct me if im wrong but pretty sure mason was quite prolific in the youth setup aswell

Ok mate, well give me examples.
Paulinho lost us a game at home to Newcastle.
Dembele scored and won us a game on his debut and got us through against Lyon away with a last minute goal.
My lasting memories of Paulinho will be of him mincing his way through midfield, avoiding getting hurt.
You're obviously someone that thinks he'll come good. I've seen enough.

Ok mate, well give me examples.
Paulinho lost us a game at home to Newcastle.
Dembele scored and won us a game on his debut and got us through against Lyon away with a last minute goal.
My lasting memories of Paulinho will be of him mincing his way through midfield, avoiding getting hurt.
You're obviously someone that thinks he'll come good. I've seen enough.

iKxCQf7xC3bG9.gif

Back
Top Bottom