Paul Stewart

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Saw the interview he gave and he was so brave to talk like that. He was a good player and probably would have been better had that B******D left him alone. This type of abuse effects a persons whole personality and life. To say football isn't taking this issue seriously enough isn't the whole picture. It's starting to look like that as a nation we have turned a blind eye to sexual and other types of abuse. As an older poster who lived through these times I remember there being rumours about people (my music teacher at school) and thought it just a rumour. The stories seemed so outlandish that they were unbelievable. The British have always been so secretive and unopen, for want of a better word, about sexuality that it has left a space for the perpetrators to operate. British society needs to be more open about these issues and make them unacceptable rather than taboo. I fear there maybe more stories like this to come from all walks of life and am beginning to think a whole section of society has been abused. Is this why we have so many social problems that don't exist in other countries?

th

Remember some years ago, he threatened to sue anyone who suggested he was a kiddy fiddler-or looked like one-allegedly?
It's wrong - very wrong - to stereotype...but I wonder if/how badly his arse is twitching?

There is a documentary tonight on BBC called 'Football Darkest Secret', about sexual abuse in football. I caught the end of Paul's interview on the breakfast show this morning, and I think he will be featured.
When I went to the night with Alfie Conn at the Coach + Horses Stewie was the compère.I was pleasantly surprised how Spurs he is! Had a pic taken with him that I will try to find.

Paul Stewart was immense at the time when I started watching Spurs. 1989-90 and 1990-91 he was a superb attacking midfielder and scored a number of very memorable goals, linking up very well with Lineker and Gazza. Really shocked to see his interview but he is very brave and strong to come out and say what he has. It's terrible to think what so many kids and teenagers had to grow up with. It seems that too many in our establishment in the 70s and 80s were committing absolutely despicable abuse.

I will always be thankful for Paul Stewart for his equalising goal in the 91 Cup Final. To know that even successful footballers are not immune to mental and physical abuse at a young age just as they are trying to get a playing career is frankly quite scary, these are impressionable young men trying to get to the top, I suspect the 'coaches' knew that and made promises in return.

Paul Stewart: Football sex abuse victims 'could number hundreds' - BBC News

Strange seeing Paul as a grey haired middle-aged man. I remember his black curly hair and youthful appearance.

Unlike Savile, Bennell is alive and kicking.

Some people may be against vigilantism, but when it comes to child rapists, I ain't one.

Hope to awaken quite soon to the news he's suffered an excruciating death.

I'm afraid that this might just be the tip of the iceberg. I can't comprehend what makes someone want to go near a child in that way, especially anyone who has children of their own. Castration is too good for them.

This private investigator must be shit hot, he has only be on the job 12hrs. Unless of course the club have knowingly swept stuff under the carpet. Imagine paying a player to keep quite so a pedo can be protected and possibly continue with his activities.

Surprising that Chelsea want to do the right thing when they are bank rolled by money gained by abusing others ( albeit not sexually )

Having been through the FA Coaching levels personally I can say that there are sessions that are about the protection and support of youngsters.

The FA are aware of the vunerablity of young children and they do try to instill that coaches have a responsibility to look out for the wider welfare of their pupils when and where possible.

The issue is of course if your a "wrong un" going into the situation you won't give a monkey's what the FA courses say. That said it's right that the rest of us who are sane and care about people are reminded that the world is full of scum, and everyone must do their bit to limit the damage the scum do when and where possible.

Last edited:
Whilst Speed never played for us I did feel very sad when he took his life. He was a true professional, had a long playing career and looked to have turned the Wales national team around.

Bennell is a vile man and City should be ashamed. They should be leading and funding a campaign to prevent anything like this happening in the future.

There is a documentary tonight on BBC called 'Football Darkest Secret', about sexual abuse in football. I caught the end of Paul's interview on the breakfast show this morning, and I think he will be featured.

Some one here said Paul Stewart exemplifies fans having a one dimensional view of players. I think of the way some this forum talk about Dele Alli and Tanguy N'dombele or Harry Winks. I'm not being sanctimonious because I hated Stewart having loved him. I felt he betrayed us by moving to Liverpool after looking like he was going to become a wonderful player. I knew zero about the pain the man was playing with. Massive respect to how he has overcome these demons.
I think, at the time, we all felt similar to varying degrees.
None of us knew what he was going through.
I did hear a rumour that Spurs knew he was drinking too much and on drugs and were therefore glad to cash in.
How true it is I don't know.

Last edited:
The power people like Bennell had over boys' lives was in large part because he was making money for those clubs. Crewe were a money making machine. Gradi, at best it can be said, turned a blind eye. Just a coincidence that he also did so at Chelsea?

I'm wondering if they'll speculate tonight about Gary Speed, however harrowing it'll be for his family. Just spoke to a mate, who was involved with welsh schoolboys at the same time as Speed, had been coached by Bennell and Gradi too, recounted the story of how after being hand selected to stay at Bennells, Speed's form dipped a lot over next 2 or 3 years. He couldn't even get into the sides he was previously starring for. He was rumoured to be penning his autobiography at the time he took his own life.

Alan Davies, (appeared for United in Cup Final 1990 I think) who also took his life, was another of Bennell's boys.
I expect the doc to go into Celtic boys' Club as well.

Back
Top Bottom