Our New Players

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Are Our New Players Rubbish

• Yes, from what I have seen up to now

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • No, we have bought well

Votes: 85 92.4%

• Total voters
There is a difference between a team in full flow and one that hasn't scored a goal in open play.

It's the type of subject I address on political forums, rather than football ones. Parents in this country are to happy to accept failure, and that's why so many kids fail. I even over heard a woman on holiday telling someone how proud she was of her daughter because she managed to have two illegitimate children and has her own council house. I expect big things of Spurs, and get frustrated by the club and it's supporters being happy with mediocrity. For instance, last year we came a quarter of the way down the table and got knocked out of three competitions by weak sides, and for some strange reason I get bombarded by people who think we had a good season. For me it was a complete disaster.
While I acknowledge your opinion, it has been my experience that working with people who experience failure often get up dust themselves off and achieve bigger and better things in their lives. Some of the most successful people have endured failures and some parents are proud that their children are trying to better their lives, so stop being such a crass pompous ass (whats wrong with council flats, was raised in one in Hendon loved it). You put someone on pedestal and demand perfection without failure and even worse expect them to achieve according to the standards you supposedly expect of them then you clearly do not understand the human condition. You exist in a place where failure is not tolerated? Get out a bit and do some volunteer work for Meals On Wheels or the Salvos get an idea about how people are surviving before you cast them as failures!!) As for Spurs, last season being a complete disaster is another gem you have come up with. Most people I chat with are very satisfied with last season and grateful that we have such a good young manager in charge. Sure we missed out on CL but I am very optimistic we will surprise this year unlike yourself who would have to be the ultimate pessimistic Spurs fan I have ever corresponded with or a Woolwich cunt in disguise!!!

Last edited:
As for Spurs, last season being a complete disaster is another gem you have come up with. Most people I chat with are very satisfied with last season and grateful that we have such a good young manager in charge. Sure we missed out on CL but I am very optimistic we will surprise this year unlike yourself who would have to be the ultimate pessimistic Spurs fan I have ever corresponded with or a Woolwich cunt in disguise!!!

Quarter of the way down the table under AVB is about 6 places lower than a fifth of the way down the table under Redknapp don't you know?

:harryfacepalm:

So that makes you Mr Perfect then?
CurtHennig.jpg

@ Éperons Éperons

Where did your post go?
It was unintentionally misleading. I clicked on only attacking statistics, assuming all passes would be registered there. In fact, that's not the case. Here are all of Paulinho's passes:
i8LhFkZ.png

As we can see, "sideways and backwards" only comes within spitting distance of spitting distance of something resembling only on a full moon something that's the tenth cousin of the truth about Paulinho's passing when we consider the most recent match, in which we had trouble breaking down a giant, parked, red bus. It's interesting that he saw much more of the ball against the scum, though that could also be because there was nowhere to really pass.

If you were a supporter of another club you would probably agree with most of what I say. It's true that most supporters believe that AVB is a good manager, whereas most people of other clubs think he is hopeless (well, the ones I know anyway). If you ever manage to wonder south and find WHL, you must promise to let me buy you a pint, as forums often bring the worst out in people, and that I shall forgive you for. Two of my best friends I met through the old official forum, and believe it or not, their initial thoughts about me were not positive.
As with almost all supporters of other clubs, I think our manager is excellent, whereas the rest are useless arseholes. You are hardly splitting the atom here.

I get down to WHL a couple of times a season. When I am down, I will hopefully not be spending any time with you, as my mind is pretty much made up about how it would go. As for your forgiveness? You can stick your forgiveness up your hairy chutney tunnel. I give less of a shit about your forgiveness as I do your opinions on football.

I haven't written anyone off, and I made that quite clear. My thread is based on what we have seen, so I don't know how you can start talking about Lamala and Eriksen. I also said that Capue was a good worker that lacked skill. I suppose the same could be said for Scott Parker. What does surprise me is your optimism regarding Chadli and Paulinho. Yes, they may turn out to surprise me, but what I have seen up to now has been rubbish.

You make the mistake of presuming that I have no prior knowledge of these players before they signed for Spurs. Like I said in my post the only ones I don't know much about are Chirches and Chadli. And I'm not going to draw any conclusions about Chadli until he has played at least 10-15 games for us. And even then I'm not going to read too much into his performances.

As for Capoue lacking skill, what planet are you on?

Did you honestly expect to be seeing a new team in full flow by now? We haven't even managed to get them all on the pitch yet.
The sentence before the part of my quote that you put in bold should tell you. I know that the best is yet to come but the subject of the thread is based on what we've seen until now and while I'm not saying we've been awful, we certainly haven't been great. All I can really say so far is, we're a powerful lot and Soldado takes a good penalty. Short of having a crystal ball, not much else I can say. I'd love to be all tub thumping but so far I have no real reason to be. That probably will change in a few more games, I have faith that the team will come good but has there really been anything that's happened so far that should impress me? Not really.

The sentence before the part of my quote that you put in bold should tell you. I know that the best is yet to come but the subject of the thread is based on what we've seen until now and while I'm not saying we've been awful, we certainly haven't been great. All I can really say so far is, we're a powerful lot and Soldado takes a good penalty. Short of having a crystal ball, not much else I can say. I'd love to be all tub thumping but so far I have no real reason to be. That probably will change in a few more games, I have faith that the team will come good but has there really been anything that's happened so far that should impress me? Not really.

Fair enough.

Though to me that reads as; 'It's too early to say, but I'll say anyway...'

:harryhmm:

Wasn't my intention. I just don't think any of the newbies have had any stand out performances yet. I'm sure they'll come though, we just need someone who's gonna split a defense on the pitch. Hopefully that's where Mr Erikson comes in. :)

This thread is getting more and more personal about a person I'd rather know less about.

On topic - how many games would we need before we can assess whether certain players are flops? I'd say at least ten and closer to twenty.

Are there any players in recent years who have joined the Premier League and torn it cup (and done so consistently since)? Only real candidate I can think of is Michu...

I have been a member on a few sites before, and thought I would give this one a go. I am a season ticket holder, and have been for many years. Unlike some fans I believe we had a poor season last year, and to be honest I am not to hopeful about next year. We got knocked out of 3 competitions by 3 poor sides, we also gave up a 7pt lead and then finished 5th. Our manager last year apparently got sacked for less. I also find the 4-2-3-1 formation painfully boring to endure.
I believe we need another quality fullback, a creative mid-field player, a top notch back up winger, and a striker that doesn't blow hot and cold. That's about £60m worth of players, and to be honest I just can't see Levy spending that sort of money.
Anyway, that's where I am coming from, what about you ?
Three and a half months later
Well it looks like that within the next few weeks we will have lost 7 players, (Caulker, Hudd, Livermore, Parker, Bale, Benny and the Yank) and at the moment we have signed 4. Few people would disagree the part of the reason we fell short last year was our lack of quality in depth (the other being the manager). Having have to of played Jenus, Hudd and Livermore is proof of this. So this where we are at the moment
GOAL KEEPERS - We have Lloris and an American with a bus pass.
CENTRE HALVES - Dawson, Kaboul and Vertongen. With 2 of those 3 very injury prone, I would say we need one more
FULL BACKS - I believe we are pretty desperate here. With the imminent departure of Benny, we are left with Rose, Naughton and Walker. I believe the former two are well short of being top players.
WIDE MID FIELDERS - Lennon, Chadley and Townsend. I would say we need one more.
CENTRAL MID FIELDERS - We are reasonably well equipped here, but as we now only play one up front, one of these players has to sit behind the striker.
STRIKERS - Pretty desperate here. Soldado is a great signing, but our remaining two strikers based on last year, are short of the mark.
So what do we need.
A full back, a centre half, another wide player and a striker.
Your opinions please.
Three weeks later
First of all, I hope you all missed me, after another unjust sin binning. I didn't realise that democracy know longer exists on Spurs forums.
Now on to the subject in hand. I very much hope that Eriksen, Lamala and our new Centre half show some promise, because frankly I think the four new players that I have seen up to now look pretty poor. To be fair Soldaldo hasn't seen much of the ball, and Capue works hard, albeit lacking in skill. Paliniho is a slow version of Livermore, and only passes sideways and backwards, and Chadli is an outright Donkey. Yes, I know we need to gel, and it may turn out these players that look awful now, turn out to be excellent, but I can only go on what I have seen. Let's not forget, we haven't as yet scored a single goal in open play, other than the ones against a pub side in Europe.
Now, take you Spurs hats off, look at things objectively and tell me what you think, because I believe if it were our neighbours that had signed these players, you would be revelling in their misery.
:harryblow:

You make the mistake of presuming that I have no prior knowledge of these players before they signed for Spurs. Like I said in my post the only ones I don't know much about are Chirches and Chadli. And I'm not going to draw any conclusions about Chadli until he has played at least 10-15 games for us. And even then I'm not going to read too much into his performances.

As for Capoue lacking skill, what planet are you on?

So these players you have great knowledge of, how many of them have you watched playing in the prem. As for Capoue, he can bring down the best of them, but so could big daddy, and he couldn't play football either.

It's very early to pass judgement to be fair . I think we're be hard to beat , weather we have enough going forward remains to be seen , I know people hate this being said but I preferred our style of play under Redknabb than AVB .

I predict we're win the Europa league but fall short in the league this year!

Back
Top Bottom