New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think that's what Archway based their 2nd appeal on - that the plans had been revised in secret, and I think that's what we won. 61,000 - you heard it here first.
Hi Joe, I think you are right that Archway claimed we had changed our stadium plans. However, IIRC, the club specifically denied that any major changes had happened. Therefore ATM, the official position is the original 56k stadium stays. There has been a recent update re the car park etc, but no major changes. As I have said a change to 61k will surely mean we'd need new planning permission.

Of course, the club may well make substantial, and you info may well be correct, but we just don't know.

Also, I keep reading we are going to change things to accommodate regular NFL matches. This I don't believe will happen, and haven't believed since the idea was first floated. I just don't see in the foreseeable future WHL hosting an NFL season(s).

Re the temporary move, the main reason I'm nervous about it is not the inconvenience it might, indeed will, present to many of our fans. What worries me is that we are placing the destiny of our club into the hands of a third party. My massive worry is that our building works overrun, and we find ourselves homeless, our 'temporary home' contract having run out.

Of course we should be able to draw up various contractual guarantees that this doesn't happen, but it doesn't stop me worrying me about it. If we have no home,we can't fulfil our fixtures, and that could lead to us being thrown out of the Prem, and indeed professional foootball. The prospect is a massive worry for me, and it's something I can't shake off.

I remember about thirty five years ago, we didn't finish a stand in time, and were facing the prospects of fines then, as I believe we couldn't fulfil our first home fixture. We ended up running out to a virtual building site. But at least we still had our home, and so could carry on. Though a 'right carry on' it was at the time.:)o_O:confused:

EDIT Just checked the Tottenham Hotspur The Complete Record, an invaluable resource. The specific problem happened in 1988, when our opening game had to be cancelled on the day we were supposed to open the season, when ground alterations were deemed by the council not be safely completed.

A reference to it here

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/foot...9541/biography-of-his-career-at-spurs_a11450/

'His much anticipated debut etc, classic stuff about the Mars Bars BTW :)

I also remember for quite a while, a few years before, that we trotted out to a virtual building site as I think West Stand work was carried out.

Last edited:
Re the temporary move, the main reason I'm nervous about it is not the inconvenience it might, indeed will, present to many of our fans. What worries me is that we are placing the destiny of our club into the hands of a third party. My massive worry is that our building works overrun, and we find ourselves homeless, our 'temporary home' contract having run out.

Of course we should be able to draw up various contractual guarantees that this doesn't happen, but it doesn't stop me worrying me about it. If we have no home,we can't fulfil our fixtures, and that could lead to us being thrown out of the Prem, and indeed professional foootball. The prospect is a massive worry for me, and it's something I can't shake off.

I remember about thirty five years ago, we didn't finish a stand in time, and were facing the prospects of fines then, as I believe we couldn't fulfil our first home fixture. We ended up running out to a virtual building site. But at least we still had our home, and so could carry on. Though a 'right carry on' it was at the time.

This will 100% not happen.

That's the question. Would it? I thought the 56,000 was from the original set of plans and schedules - and they have definitely been shelved, so I doubt they were the ones that Archway were talking about. At least we'll find out soon enough.
I think it would without doubt, not only are we talking about a major change to the plans, and it's rumoured a considerable redesign, there are transport plus health and safety issues to consider. One of the key original reasons we settled on 56k was to do with the latter reasons.
And I repeat, AFAIK the original plans haven't been officially shelved. If you can find an announcement to that effect please post it up, but I've never seen such an announcement and I've followed the stadium story, as I do all major Spurs stories very closely indeed.

What I think that Archway were talking about is the rumoured new design, and boy there have been plenty of such rumours and discussions on many forums. This has included the NFL angle, which many people have discussed in great detail as if it was a real prospect and about to happen, whereas I've always seen it as a no-go. For sure the club were looking at the prospect. But how's it going to work? Answer, it won't. Not in the foreseeable future anyway.

People also keep putting up mock ups or ideas on various forums of what the new redesign will be like. But they're just that, people's ideas, not a firm decision by the club.

To re-emphasise I don't doubt your 'inside info' and it may be we get a 61k stadium, but just that IMHO the club hasn't gone public with detailed plans on it.

Last edited:
I think it would without doubt, not only are we talking about a major change to the plans, and it's rumoured a considerable redesign, there are transport plus health and safety issues to consider. One of the key original reasons we settled on 56k was to do with the latter reasons.
And I repeat, AFAIK the original plans haven't been officially shelved. If you can find an announcement to that effect please post it up, but I've never seen such an announcement and I've followed the stadium story as I do all major spurs stories very closely indeed.
The original plans didn't involve us moving you might recall. They have been shelved - obviously.

And I repeat, AFAIK the original plans haven't been officially shelved. If you can find an announcement to that effect please post it up, but I've never seen such an announcement and I've followed the stadium story as I do all major spurs stories very closely indeed.

I repeat this will 100% not happen.

And I repeat, AFAIK the original plans haven't been officially shelved. If you can find an announcement to that effect please post it up, but I've never seen such an announcement and I've followed the stadium story as I do all major spurs stories very closely indeed.what I think ARchway were talking about is the rumoured new design, and boy there have been plenty of such rumours and discussions, including the NFL angle, which many people have discussed in reat detail as if it was a real prospect and about to happen, whereas I've always seen it as a no-go. For sure the club were looking at the prospect, but how's it going to work, answer it won't. Not in the foreseeable future anyway.

Peopl also keep putting up mock ups or ideas on various forums of what the new redesign wil be like, but it's just that, people's ideas not a firm decision by the club.

To re-emphasise I don't doubt your 'inside info' and it may be we get a 61k stadium, but just that IMHO the club hasn't gone public with detailed plans on it.

*ahem*

We shall engage with our financial advisors, planning consultants and Haringey Council to progress matters now that we have certainty of possession.
As we have previously reported, the Club has used the intervening period during the CPO process productively in order to refine the detailed design of the stadium, which was originally produced in 2008, to ensure it is optimised and that it meets the latest technical requirements and improvements in stadia design.
We have already commenced pre development and site clearance works and will shortly submit, to Haringey Council, an application for a minor material amendment to our planning permission for consent for a basement level on the new stadium site.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/northumberland-development-project-update-march-31-310315/

I think that's a pretty explicit statement that the original plans are not plans being used any more.

If you haven't read the minutes of the THST meeting with the club, it answers a lot of questions. The groundshare is either MK or Wembley, with no decision made yet. The year away is intended to be 2017-18.

They are open to both safe standing and singing areas, and the "kop" aspect of the original design has not been removed. The opportunity is there for a Dortmund-style sudtribune.

https://www.thstofficial.com/thst-news/thstthfc-board-to-board-meeting-minutes-30-march-2015

There you go - Yorkie with the detail. Pretty conclusive, apart from the fact we were never going to move out.
A waste of time that was taking Yorkie off ignore. :)

What detail????, there is no detail AFAIC. Just a 100% guarantee from YS.

Please Joe, provide something from the club not forum members. I've followed this story very, very, closely, and have read thousands of opinions. I'm talking about what the club has said, or re the 'new design' more specifically what the club hasn't said,

A waste of time that was taking Yorkie off ignore. :)

What detail, there is no detail AFAIC, just a 100% guarantee from YS.

Please Joe, provide something from the club not forum members. I've followed this story very, very, closely, and have read thousands of opinions. I'm talking about what the club has said, or re the 'new design' more specifically what the club hasn't said,
Ha no, this post.

We shall engage with our financial advisors, planning consultants and Haringey Council to progress matters now that we have certainty of possession.
As we have previously reported, the Club has used the intervening period during the CPO process productively in order to refine the detailed design of the stadium, which was originally produced in 2008, to ensure it is optimised and that it meets the latest technical requirements and improvements in stadia design.
We have already commenced pre development and site clearance works and will shortly submit, to Haringey Council, an application for a minor material amendment to our planning permission for consent for a basement level on the new stadium site.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/northumberland-development-project-update-march-31-310315/

I think that's a pretty explicit statement that the original plans are not plans being used any more.

Ha no, this post.

No, no, no I completely disagree in the context I and you are talking about, a new 61k design. I'm well aware of this story, as i say I've followed the story very closely.

What this talks of is 'refining the detailed design' of a 'minor material amendment'.

I've already said in this thread that the Club has made/alluded to minor changes.

But to repeat, nowhere have the club issued major new design plans, publically at any rate.

I remember about thirty five years ago, we didn't finish a stand in time, and were facing the prospects of fines then, as I believe we couldn't fulfil our first home fixture. We ended up running out to a virtual building site. But at least we still had our home, and so could carry on. Though a 'right carry on' it was at the time.:)o_O:confused:

EDIT Just checked the Tottenham Hotspur The Complete Record, an invaluable resource. The specific problem happened in 1988, when our opening game had to be cancelled on the day we were supposed to open the season, when ground alterations were deemed by the council not be safely completed.

A reference to it here

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/foot...9541/biography-of-his-career-at-spurs_a11450/

'His much anticipated debut etc, classic stuff about the Mars Bars BTW :)

I also remember for quite a while, a few years before, that we trotted out to a virtual building site as I think West Stand work was carried out.
Really? Reallly?
when you feel the need to go to the bog, do you panic that you might clunk your pants until you are safety ensconsed on the can?
do you then worry you might have forgottrn to to pull your strides down? cos thats more fucking likely than what you've said above
I doubt highly that Levy is going to be so thick that he isnt going to have options in case the build over runs, a not uncommon event in the construction business (you know, things like the cheeky local scamps nicking supplies, a pissy wet winter causing problems. If it is Milton Keynes Cunts we share with, there will be options for further years. Hell, the lank haired greasy allegedly coke addled club stealing twat that owns the ground and club seperately (cos you know, they moved to own their own ground. and still dont own their own ground) will be so desperate for the kind of legitimacy us using their poxy shit stain of a stadium will bring that we will probably get it rent free unless there are construction over runs

(I dont like Milton Keynes Dongs very much)

Ah, ok. The club hasn't announced the capacity yet in an official statement - I'm not debating that point with you, they haven't. All I'm saying is that people working on the project have been told - whether they've been told something inaccurate is another matter. We are, however, moving. That much has changed - and a pretty big change I hope you'll agree.

Ah, ok. The club hasn't announced the capacity yet in an official statement - I'm not debating that point with you, they haven't. All I'm saying is that people working on the project have been told - whether they've been told something inaccurate is another matter. We are, however, moving. That much has changed - and a pretty big change I hope you'll agree.

That is a pretty big change I agree. And from what I've read it seems pretty much certain. But again I must stress it's not official yet. Nowhere have the club announced we are definitely moving to a temporary home, for how long, or indeed where that temporary home will be.

Too often, across too many forums Spurs (and indeed other fans) are talking as if x or y change/move has happened, but it hasn't publicly at least.

ATM, all that's changed officially/publicly are the minor amendments to the design mentioned recently. Again that's AFAIK, any club announcements re major changes/definite moving plans I've missed I'll be delighted to be informed about.

HOT OFF THE PRESS (or computer anyway)

The latest THST minutes are shading in some of the details

https://www.thstofficial.com/thst-news/thstthfc-board-to-board-meeting-minutes-30-march-2015

A key quote

Stadium design
- As regards the design for the current stadium, at present THFC have planning permission for a 56,000 seater stadium and would not be drawn on much further detail at this stage

Exactly as I've been saying all along, I thang yow :thumbup:

As we both previously agreed, and as most fans have thought, the temporary move seems pretty certain now. And it seems the choice is now between MK Dons and Wembley, and will be for one season.

But remember again no final decisions have been made. (Officially and publicly at least, doubtless ENIC have their preferences in these matters but they want to consult fan opinion too)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom