New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Joe you may well be ITK on this.
But AFAIK, the capacity of the last official set of plans we saw was 56,000(ish). Furthermore any change to 61k is liable to need planning permission.

So we'll see what happens.

My priorities are that the new stadium is built ASAP, and preferably without moving to a temporary home.

If the club feel a new, ( and presumably bigger) design is the way forward, fair enough. I'm not a big fan of ENIC, and I'm a worrier by nature when it comes to Spurs, so I won't be singing ENIC's praises on the new stadium too loudly until I see it happen.
I think that's what Archway based their 2nd appeal on - that the plans had been revised in secret, and I think that's what we won. 61,000 - you heard it here first.

Pleased that we've sorted out the Archway situation.
One problem with any major changes now might be that we would need new planning permission. I'm quite happy with 56,000 capacity, as long as there's scope to extend it at a later date. For me the key thing is I hope we don't have to move to a temporary home, that makes me nervous.

The Secretary of State confirmed in the court case that no new planning application would be necessary - this was key to the case as the CPO was only awarded on the basis of the current planning consent.

My priorities are that the new stadium is built ASAP, and preferably without moving to a temporary home.

I don't think these two can co-exist. It's either quick + temporary home or slow + stay put.

I also don't think staying put is particularly viable, they club have said as much. The original plans which included working around the existing are nearly 10 years old and will have moved on considerably in that time. It makes absolute sense to demolish all and build from scratch, although it's not the best fit for a lot of supporters.

Personally I'd rather the club got the ground right at the expense of a season's travelling than compromise the stadium which should be good for 100 years.

Depends how locally you mean. Within 2-3 miles, probably < 5%. Within 10 miles, I dunno, maybe 30-50% ish.

Think of it this way then. If you're saying that at least half of all WHL supporters travel more than 10 miles to get the games, year-in year-out, why can't the other half travel for one single season? It could be as much of a benefit as a hindrance, on balance of supporter base.

I do find it a bit annoying when people complain about the idea of travelling to games for one single season, as if it's some major hardship, when that's what tons of regulars do all the time. My entire life of supporting Spurs has involved several hours journey and a bunch of cash in travel costs.

Now don't get me wrong, I hate the idea of having our home games anywhere but Tottenham and agree it would be ideal not to have to do that, but the travel expense argument just doesn't stack up for me.

Think of it this way then. If you're saying that at least half of all WHL supporters travel more than 10 miles to get the games, year-in year-out, why can't the other half travel for one single season? It could be as much of a benefit as a hindrance, on balance of supporter base.

I do find it a bit annoying when people complain about the idea of travelling to games for one single season, as if it's some major hardship, when that's what tons of regulars do all the time. My entire life of supporting Spurs has involved several hours journey and a bunch of cash in travel costs.

Now don't get me wrong, I hate the idea of having our home games anywhere but Tottenham and agree it would be ideal not to have to do that, but the travel expense argument just doesn't stack up for me.

At the moment, travel time and cost are roughly correlated to distance from the ground. So fans in Maidstone, Cambridge, MK, Reading, will all have roughly the same burden. Fans in Cheshunt, Barnet, Loughton - similar burden to one another. Draw a circle round Tottenham with radius of x miles, and all the fans living on that circle are in roughly the same situation, and the bigger that circle gets, the fewer Spurs fans there are. (Yes this ignores the distorting effect of London, but it's broadly true.)

Now consider moving the ground to MK. Suddenly, the many thousands of fans living within 10-15 miles of Tottenham are facing a big journey to get to matches, while the lucky few who live in and around MK have struck gold. As for the poor fans in Kent/Sussex who are used to already making a big journey to the Lane - they might as well forget it if we go to MK.

Ultimately it comes down to the fact that our match-going fanbase is concentrated mainly around north east London, Herts and Essex - and most of them will be shafted by us moving to MK. The average travel distance to matches would increase drastically, and loads of people suddenly wouldn't be able to afford to go to every match any more.

...and that's why I'd love to actually know the demographic of those supporters. If most are in Herts/Beds/Bucks etc then getting to MK isn't that big of a deal, if they live South of London then it is.

However, as we well know, everyone in Kent supports Man Utd, so your argument falls down right there.

At the moment, travel time and cost are roughly correlated to distance from the ground. So fans in Maidstone, Cambridge, MK, Reading, will all have roughly the same burden. Fans in Cheshunt, Barnet, Loughton - similar burden to one another. Draw a circle round Tottenham with radius of x miles, and all the fans living on that circle are in roughly the same situation, and the bigger that circle gets, the fewer Spurs fans there are. (Yes this ignores the distorting effect of London, but it's broadly true.)

Now consider moving the ground to MK. Suddenly, the many thousands of fans living within 10-15 miles of Tottenham are facing a big journey to get to matches, while the lucky few who live in and around MK have struck gold. As for the poor fans in Kent/Sussex who are used to already making a big journey to the Lane - they might as well forget it if we go to MK.

Ultimately it comes down to the fact that our match-going fanbase is concentrated mainly around north east London, Herts and Essex - and most of them will be shafted by us moving to MK. The average travel distance to matches would increase drastically, and loads of people suddenly wouldn't be able to afford to go to every match any more.
...and that's why I'd love to actually know the demographic of those supporters. If most are in Herts/Beds/Bucks etc then getting to MK isn't that big of a deal, if they live South of London then it is.

However, as we well know, everyone in Kent supports Man Utd, so your argument falls down right there.

To get to MK for me I would have to get a train into Kings Cross, go to Euston and get the train back out to MK.

It is a no from me.

Driving is much easier though.

I know this is likely in jest, but it's not true just so we're all aware.

Majority of people here support a London club, mainly Woolwich, Tottenham, West Ham and Chelsea.

Majority of people here support a London club, mainly Woolwich, Tottenham, West Ham and Chelsea.

As you know I second that Benny! As Kent is football neutral ground I must admit it is pretty open I even know a load of Leeds fans, but there is a southern skew

I'm a Part time Man of Kent, The majority of people I know support London Clubs. Although I do know one Looney Northerner who supports Sheffield Wednesday....

Back
Top Bottom