Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We still qualified for the CL, this is what the vast majority of fans wanted. Realistically as long as he keeps getting the results he won't be going anywhere unless he chooses to go himself and rightly so.

Here's a reminder, we got to the CL final, I'll say it again we got to the CL final.
I'm disappointed that we lost a game that we should have won but it was a great run which no one predicted.
There would no point in bringing anyone else in because people like yourself won't give him time and you and others level of expectation has been raised to an unrealistic level.

You seem to think 6yrs is not time.

People are talking playing poor football for what would be 18 months come May.

He the longest serving manager in some 30 years and exceeds the last one under ENIC by 18 months, had the most money spend in the history of the club, hasn’t had one major player sold against his wishes, yet we were better 3 years ago.
DESPITE a fantastic CL campaign.

How long is that going to be used?
We sacked Redknapp the season after he took us to the CL for the first time in the clubs history. People lauded it as next level.

....But that's the rhetoric your posts paint by use of words like "blame" and "failure".

How can one "blame" Levy for failure if Poch hasn't (in your opinion) "failed"?

Seems a bit contradictory to me.

It’s amazing isn’t it. People doing backflips to tell everyone how brilliant we are and how far we’ve come and the progress made, but want the chairman’s head because we are a bunch of shit losers with a shit squad.

You seem to think 6yrs is not time.

People are talking playing poor football for what would be 18 months come May.

He the longest serving manager in some 30 years and exceeds the last one under ENIC by 18 months, had the most money spend in the history of the club, hasn’t had one major player sold against his wishes, yet we were better 3 years ago.
DESPITE a fantastic CL campaign.

How long is going to be used?
We sacked Redknapp the season after he took us to the CL for the first time in the clubs history. People lauded it as next level.
It is time but time to do what? 4 CL qualification in 6 years he's a achieved? what are you after? Some domestic cups? As discussed before I want those too but he's not going to get sacked for those.
It's going to be used as long as he is in a job and it will be mentioned long after he leaves. You act like we get to a CL final every year or something.

It’s amazing isn’t it. People doing backflips to tell everyone how brilliant we are and how far we’ve come and the progress made, but want the chairman’s head because we are a bunch of shit losers with a shit squad.
Only if he follows your advice and gets rid of him, how can you believe in those circumstances it wouldn't be ok to criticise him or blame him, if he sacks one of the best managers we've ever had.

It is time but time to do what? 4 CL qualification in 6 years he's a achieved? what are you after? Some domestic cups? As discussed before I want those too but he's not going to get sacked for those.
It's going to be used as long as he is in a job and it will be mentioned long after he leaves. You act like we get to a CL final every year or something.

As I’ve pointed out, our form on the PL has been diabolical since the turn of the year, we play turgid football, we are not learning how to break down stubborn teams that 4 years ago we were smashing the shit out of on a regular basis.

It’s not about trophies.

I have said on this very topic I’d be ok finishing 7th if I could see where Poch was going with this horrific system, and the football improved.

He himself has said he needs to win something now it’s his 6th year and top 4 isn’t enough.
So I guess 6 yrs, by his words is long enough.

He has blamed the problems on the Euro window and claimed we will now move and be better.

So why the hell shouldn’t people expect improvement.
And you’re still talking as if losing the final is the same as winning it.

It was a great cup run.....we lost. Not because Liverpool spent more, but because the manager made some atrocious decisions, and quite frankly bottled it.

Only if he follows your advice and gets rid of him, how can you believe in those circumstances it wouldn't be ok to criticise him or blame him, if he sacks one of the best managers we've ever had.

Because one of the best managers we’ve ever had is in danger of becoming one of the worst, if the form of and style of PL football we have played for the vast majority of 2019 continues until May 2020.

And that would be with keeping Eriksen, Jan, Rose and Toby, plus having 130M spent and acquiring his long term target in CM, his long term LB target, and his long term AM.

So as I said, if none of that sees any improvement on the shit served up against the likes of Burnley, Southampton, Newcastle, Bournemouth, Villa,West Ham....etc between now and May then losing the CL final won’t be a good enough reason not to consider options.

I'm disappointed that we lost a game that we should have won but it was a great run which no one predicted.
You make a very valid point. The CL final appearance was unexpected by everyone I think, Poch included. The club effectively over achieved last season. The 'plan' was to win a CL but not yet. The sad thing was that we had the good fortune to play a team we were perfectly capable of beating and gave a very disappointing performance considering the occasion.

The problem every supporter currently has is the definition of 'success'. Many feel Poch is bringing that to the club with a top four finish every season and that suffices. Others feel that is simply not good enough and silverware of some kind is also required.

For me the alarm bells started ringing with the manner in which we ended last season. Instead of an extremely comfortable third spot and CL football confirmed some time before the last few matches we instead took it to the wire for fourth spot. Let's be honest, it was only because of some completely unexpected draws and defeats by our other rivals that CL qualification was achieved.
The question is do we forget about that and treat it as a blip on the radar or worry that the pattern will continue ? The Newcastle game gave us no assurances whatsoever that lower league sides would not continue to be our Achilles's heel. The Palace match will hopefully show that is not the case but they are no pushovers. Thirty minutes in and still 0-0 then I will be getting extremely nervous.

This season I feel will determine the future of Poch as our manager. I have always maintained that when he leaves it will be by his own hands and I keep to that. When he looks back on the league table for 2019/20 and competition results he will decide if his future lies with Spurs or that he can do no more and it's time to move on. He will regard anything other than a top four spot as failure and I would have to agree considering the squad of players he now has at his disposal.

I would be the first in line to shake his hand, thank him for bringing this club to where it is today and wish him all the best for the future. I would not however, assume in any way that his successor was not capable of taking Spurs even further. Please do not respond with "So who would you have instead ?", I have no idea, but I have to trust Levy and his crew to make the right choice should that situation arise. There will be a life after Poch and as supporters it's one we will all live together, come what may.

Not for me no, as far as I'm concerned he has a lot of credit in the bank. But if Levy sacks him that means the appointment hasn't worked out, thus he takes some of the blame for that because he chose and appointed him. You can't credit Levy with just successes and not failure.
What are you waffling on about ffs!!??

How long has he got to stay for it to be a successful appointment then ? A fergie/wenger length tenure ?

You keep trying to be create a provocative point but with length of time being the only criteria .

What if Poch won the league every year for the past 5 years and levy sacked him? Still a failed appointment

If he managed us for 20 years in the championship? A success

Useless argument

As I’ve pointed out, our form on the PL has been diabolical since the turn of the year, we play turgid football, we are not learning how to break down stubborn teams that 4 years ago we were smashing the shit out of on a regular basis.

It’s not about trophies.

I have said on this very topic I’d be ok finishing 7th if I could see where Poch was going with this horrific system, and the football improved.

He himself has said he needs to win something now it’s his 6th year and top 4 isn’t enough.
So I guess 6 yrs, by his words is long enough.

He has blamed the problems on the Euro window and claimed we will now move and be better.

So why the hell shouldn’t people expect improvement.
And you’re still talking as if losing the final is the same as winning it.

It was a great cup run.....we lost. Not because Liverpool spent more, but because the manager made some atrocious decisions, and quite frankly bottled it.
So why are you going on about him not winning anything if it's not about trophies? It's obvious what he wants. he wants to achieve the top honours with us, the league obviously it's a building process, that we are doing as the sixth richest club against oil rich clubs.

Expecting improvement is fine, calling for the manager's sacking isn't. Of course losing the final isn't the same as winning it but I'm thankful he got us there in the first place. It shouldn't bother you too much, if style of play is more important than results. You said you are happy with 7th if we are entertaining, I would have expected you to be more tolerant.

What are you waffling on about ffs!!??

How long has he got to stay for it to be a successful appointment then ? A fergie/wenger length tenure ?

You keep trying to be create a provocative point but with length of time being the only criteria .

What if Poch won the league every year for the past 5 years and levy sacked him? Still a failed appointment

If he managed us for 20 years in the championship? A success

Useless argument
If he sacks him under those circumstances he still has to take blame. Either for a bad sacking or an unsuccessful appointment. Success is subjective but if I was a chairman I wouldn't sack someone who I thought was bringing me success.

If he sacks him under those circumstances he still has to take blame. Either for a bad sacking or an unsuccessful appointment. Success is subjective but if I was a chairman I wouldn't sack someone who I thought was bringing me success.
Chelsea sacked Mourinho in 2007, do you think they were wrong by appointing him in 2004 (2 PL titles, FA Cup etc.)?

Last edited:
You make a very valid point. The CL final appearance was unexpected by everyone I think, Poch included. The club effectively over achieved last season. The 'plan' was to win a CL but not yet. The sad thing was that we had the good fortune to play a team we were perfectly capable of beating and gave a very disappointing performance considering the occasion.

The problem every supporter currently has is the definition of 'success'. Many feel Poch is bringing that to the club with a top four finish every season and that suffices. Others feel that is simply not good enough and silverware of some kind is also required.

For me the alarm bells started ringing with the manner in which we ended last season. Instead of an extremely comfortable third spot and CL football confirmed some time before the last few matches we instead took it to the wire for fourth spot. Let's be honest, it was only because of some completely unexpected draws and defeats by our other rivals that CL qualification was achieved.
The question is do we forget about that and treat it as a blip on the radar or worry that the pattern will continue ? The Newcastle game gave us no assurances whatsoever that lower league sides would not continue to be our Achilles's heel. The Palace match will hopefully show that is not the case but they are no pushovers. Thirty minutes in and still 0-0 then I will be getting extremely nervous.

This season I feel will determine the future of Poch as our manager. I have always maintained that when he leaves it will be by his own hands and I keep to that. When he looks back on the league table for 2019/20 and competition results he will decide if his future lies with Spurs or that he can do no more and it's time to move on. He will regard anything other than a top four spot as failure and I would have to agree considering the squad of players he now has at his disposal.

I would be the first in line to shake his hand, thank him for bringing this club to where it is today and wish him all the best for the future. I would not however, assume in any way that his successor was not capable of taking Spurs even further. Please do not respond with "So who would you have instead ?", I have no idea, but I have to trust Levy and his crew to make the right choice should that situation arise. There will be a life after Poch and as supporters it's one we will all live together, come what may.
We don't have a right to get CL football, it's what people expect now because they have been spoiled. I'm not worried at all, Every time we get get CL football we are overachieving as a club. If we don't make it this year, suck it up and try next year. One loss at newcastle and people are getting shaky, it's a very long season with lots of twists and turns, each time I think we won't make the CL, he surprises me.

I would assume that our successor could not take us a further because Poch has set a very high bar, 2nd in the league and a CL final, the only way to beat that is to win both.

I’m not up for calling time on Pochettino, would be devastated if he were sacked, or left. However our PL form over the last 15, away from CL run, is somewhat concerning. Now that the transfer window is shut I expect full focus on winning matches.

EC64i8nXYAA3TI8

I find that quite a staggering statement and one I could never share based on our current set up.
It's a true statement though, we have less money than Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool, Woolwich and Man City. The fact that we're able to get to a stage where you expect CL football is testament to Poch.

Back
Top Bottom