Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've never had a problem criticising Levy for what I think he deserves criticising for.

If Levy makes a bad appointment or even a good appointment but doesn't create the right environment for them to succeed I'll criticise him. As I did with AVB or Ramos.

I'm not exactly calling for Poch's head, or calling for it after 5 minutes or 5 bad results. Levy's made Pochettino the fifth highest paid manager in the world, and given him 5 year contracts and virtually complete autonomy to run the club how he wants it run. No DOF. He's been here for over 5 years. Pochettino has spent the last two years moaning about his working environment, whilst overseeing a downturn in performances and results, and was still doing it after signing three of Europe's hot young prospects this summer.

If he can't get us playing decent football agains by the end of this season, his sixth, having all the conditions he has in place, great training facilities, great stadium, shiny new players, great academy prospects etc, then I'm not going to have a problem with us trying to find a progressive guy who will try and isn't going to spend every press conference whining about it.
So you only give him until the end of the season after all his achieved , you are calling for his head, not now but at the end of the season, if he hasn't done what you said. Levy appointed him so if he is sacked then that means Levy failed.

So you only give him until the end of the season after all his achieved , you are calling for his head, not now but at the end of the season, if he hasn't done what you said. Levy appointed him so if he is sacked then that means Levy failed.

So rhetorically, if Poch loses his way after a number of years good work it's a bad appointment?

Nah mate... That's cobblers.

In turn the only "blame" you could apply there is that maybe Levy should have sacked him sooner and I doubt you subscribe to that sentiment.

Levy's made Pochettino the fifth highest paid manager in the world, and given him 5 year contracts and virtually complete autonomy to run the club how he wants it run. No DOF. He's been here for over 5 years. Pochettino has spent the last two years moaning about his working environment, whilst overseeing a downturn in performances and results,

I don't agree MP should be shown the door.

But just like Spurs could struggle to do better than him, so could he ...

Man Utd, Juventus, Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and PSG. All clubs where he could realistically be sought after within the next 12 months and which would represent a career step up from Spurs. Add Chelsea for nothing else than the money. Yet all 7 are clubs, where he would get nowhere near the freedom and influence he enjoys at Spurs.

His moans about working enviroment are invalid.

Why do you keep shoe horning his views?
He’s been quite clear and to be honest a whole season of playing shit football and maybe you too will be open for a change.

People are of the opinion that it will get better.
We all hope it will.
I believe it will.

But that means it needs to get better. Ergo, we do not want to continue playing the way we have for 3.5 games this season and the last 5 months of last season.

If we do, for another 34 games, then surely these “calls for his head” will be justified.

And to add, Poch hasn’t lost one single player he didn’t want to lose.....and that includes Kyle Walker.

And since Walker we have kept every single senior player, bar Dembele who was nowhere near first team fitness anymore.

If people want to buy into this mantra that we can’t compete with Liverpool squad then please name me which one of Liverpool’s back up full backs you want, which back up or first team CM you want, which keeper you want, which back up striker you want and and what back up AMs you want.
*google google google google*

And this is a team that regularly hammers City.

Soooooo

Drinkwater

Drinking water pounded to six by blood

Danny is at the Chinawhite club in the city for a friend's birthday but he has raised his elbow a little too much. And what seemed like a quiet evening with friends, as the Sun tells us exclusively, soon turns into something else. The midfielder in fact attempted a rather thorough approach with a girl, who however was not alone. Accompanying her was another soccer player, Kgosi Ntlhe, from Scunthorpe United club, a militant in the British minor series. This asked Drinkwater to leave the girl alone, but instead of complying with the request, he attacked his colleague. So we start a fight between the two, while the club's bouncers have expelled the Burnley player. But it's not over here.

Outside the club, a gang of at least six people attacks the midfielder by kicking him. A witness told the British newspaper that the attackers, knowing that Danny was a footballer in the Premier League, shouted "Break your legs", with the intent probably to destroy his career. There is talk of a really fierce aggression, so that the witness speaks of blood everywhere. No one, however, would have called the police and there would therefore be no evidence of the involvement of the other player. Drinkwater is not new to boozing with disastrous endings, just think of the car crash last April, but this time it got really bad. The midfielder, having recovered from the evening, would have left for Spain not to justify the swollen face. A few days ago there was talk of his injury outside the field, but only today the details arrive.

As I said, I'd take Nagelsmann now, but I know that's not going to happen, so I don't mind seeing what Poch can do with the new players and players like Skipp and Parrot coming through etc.

But you make it sound like Poch took us from the relegation zone and won the League and CL. That we haven't been as great for him and helped him further his credentials as he has been in pushing us a place or two onwards.

He would not have got the working conditions and backing (and I don't just mean transfer money) he got from Levy at most clubs - and he won't get it at any uber clubs. Sure, he'll get bigger transfer and wage budgets at an uber club, but he won't be picking the players and he'll be expected to win titles from the get go, he wouldn't survive having a first season like he did with us, he wouldn't survive finishing third to Leicester and an Woolwich he'd been ten points clear of, he wouldn't survive the drop off from 2nd to 3rd two years ago, or the relegation form we hit last season in the last third, and he wouldn't survive picking donkey's, continually getting tactics in big games wrong, or continually having his players start game badly.

Why would blame Levy for hiring him? I thought it was a really good decision, I liked what Pochettino stood for, progressive, proactive, aggressive, intense football, which is what he Brough initially and which is what I want us to get back to.

So rhetorically, if Poch loses his way after a number of years good work it's a bad appointment?

Nah mate... That's cobblers.

In turn the only "blame" you could apply there is that maybe Levy should have sacked him sooner and I doubt you subscribe to that sentiment.
Not for me no, as far as I'm concerned he has a lot of credit in the bank. But if Levy sacks him that means the appointment hasn't worked out, thus he takes some of the blame for that because he chose and appointed him. You can't credit Levy with just successes and not failure.

Why do you keep shoe horning his views?
He’s been quite clear and to be honest a whole season of playing shit football and maybe you too will be open for a change.

People are of the opinion that it will get better.
We all hope it will.
I believe it will.

But that means it needs to get better. Ergo, we do not want to continue playing the way we have for 3.5 games this season and the last 5 months of last season.

If we do, for another 34 games, then surely these “calls for his head” will be justified.
No way.
We are the 6th richest club, we've gone from a club that rarely qualifies for the champion league to one that that has qualified for the CL 4 times and got to the final once, The final was last season and we have a qualified for it this season. This is us supposedly playing shit football, if that's the case, that to me is a sign of a very good side, supposedly played shit still got to the final and qualified. Past tottenham teams played shit and achieved zero.

As I said, I'd take Nagelsmann now, but I know that's not going to happen, so I don't mind seeing what Poch can do with the new players and players like Skipp and Parrot coming through etc.

But you make it sound like Poch took us from the relegation zone and won the League and CL. That we haven't been as great for him and helped him further his credentials as he has been in pushing us a place or two onwards.

He would not have got the working conditions and backing (and I don't just mean transfer money) he got from Levy at most clubs - and he won't get it at any uber clubs. Sure, he'll get bigger transfer and wage budgets at an uber club, but he won't be picking the players and he'll be expected to win titles from the get go, he wouldn't survive having a first season like he did with us, he wouldn't survive finishing third to Leicester and an Woolwich he'd been ten points clear of, he wouldn't survive the drop off from 2nd to 3rd two years ago, or the relegation form we hit last season in the last third, and he wouldn't survive picking donkey's, continually getting tactics in big games wrong, or continually having his players start game badly.

Why would blame Levy for hiring him? I thought it was a really good decision, I liked what Pochettino stood for, progressive, proactive, aggressive, intense football, which is what he Brough initially and which is what I want us to get back to.

Again I go back to being the 6th richest club, not having as much money to spend as other clubs. I have to say I'm very surprised at your stance, I thought you were an old school guy prepared to give the manager time. Football is a results business, he has got the results and once more he is the guy that will put up with Levy.

Why would you blame Levy for hiring him? Again, you can't just give success to Levy and not failure. If Poch gets sacked that means Levy must take some of the blame, if not he can't credit for the successes. It's an argument we've had many times before.

5 years sounds about fair :thumbup:
If he does badly then it's 4 years really by the fifth year there has to be a decision whether to keep him on or not. That's very generous but if we have 4 years of playing shit football and getting worse results than we do now we will regress massively.

MVP said:
Not for me no, as far as I'm concerned he has a lot of credit in the bank. But if Levy sacks him that means the appointment hasn't worked out, thus he takes some of the blame for that because he chose and appointed him. You can't credit Levy with just successes and not failure.

....But that's the rhetoric your posts paint by use of words like "blame" and "failure".

How can one "blame" Levy for failure if Poch hasn't (in your opinion) "failed"?

Seems a bit contradictory to me.

No way.
We are the 6th richest club, we've gone from a club that rarely qualifies for the champion league to one that that has qualified for the CL 4 times and got to the final once, The final was last season and we have a qualified for it this season. This is us supposedly playing shit football, if that's the case, that to me is a sign of a very good side, supposedly played shit still got to the final and qualified. Past tottenham teams played shit and achieved zero.

Past Tottenham teams have played well and won stuff, or played well and not won anything.

This is season 6 and our style of play has regressed no matter what picture anyone wants to paint.

The manager has said for two seasons running that this is the worst he’s ever felt, he has pointed at squad disharmony and I’m sorry but if that continues then options will be considered.

6th richest club, yet the other 5 have all won stuff.

People acting like he was given Shayne Long and Charlie Adam and took us from League One to champions.

Here’s a reminder......we lost the CL Final.

How long are people going to live off that. It’s getting embarrassing.

Past Tottenham teams have played well and won stuff, or played well and not won anything.

This is season 6 and our style of play has regressed no matter what picture anyone wants to paint.

The manager has said for two seasons running that this is the worst he’s ever felt, he has pointed at squad disharmony and I’m sorry but if that continues then options will be considered.

6th richest club, yet the other 5 have all won stuff.

People acting like he was given Shayne Long and Charlie Adam and took us from League One to champions.

Here’s a reminder......we lost the CL Final.

How long are people going to live off that. It’s getting embarrassing.
We still qualified for the CL, this is what the vast majority of fans wanted. Realistically as long as he keeps getting the results he won't be going anywhere unless he chooses to go himself and rightly so.

Here's a reminder, we got to the CL final, I'll say it again we got to the CL final.
I'm disappointed that we lost a game that we should have won but it was a great run which no one predicted.
There would no point in bringing anyone else in because people like yourself won't give him time and you and others level of expectation has been raised to an unrealistic level.

....But that's the rhetoric your posts paint by use of words like "blame" and "failure".

How can one "blame" Levy for failure if Poch hasn't (in your opinion) "failed"?

Seems a bit contradictory to me.
I'm talking about a hypothetical situation in which Poch is sacked, so either he's failed in his job or Levy has sacked him wrongly in any case he will deserve some blame.

Back
Top Bottom