Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

LONDON: English second-tier club Wigan sacked manager Uwe Rosler on Thursday (Nov 13) after less than a year in charge following a run of poor results saw them sip into the Championship relegation zone.

Wigan, who only 18 months ago lifted the FA Cup at Wembley, have won just once since August. Last Friday's 3-1 defeat by Lancashire rivals Bolton, which saw Wigan concede three goals in 11 second-half minutes, proved to be the final straw for Latics' chairman Dave Whelan.

"I have thought long and hard about this," Whelan told the club website. "I have thought about little else for days in fact. Initially my thoughts were that Uwe should be given more time.

"He is a good manager and I like him immensely as a person, he is honest, passionate and clearly works day and night to try and earn success for the team," Whelan added.

"However, the situation we find ourselves in at the moment, and the run of results in recent months, really has been alarming. Something is clearly not working."

After the Bolton match, former East Germany striker Rosler, a cult hero during his playing days with Manchester City and a succesful manager at English lower league side Brentford, said he felt "embarrassed" by Wigan's efforts and accused his players of "giving up".

Rosler replaced Owen Coyle at the DW Stadium in December 2013 and guided Wigan to the FA Cup semi-finals and Championship play-offs last season.

But their form has evaporated this campaign, with Wigan recording just three wins in 17 league matches. Rosler's number two Graham Barrow has been put in caretaker charge, assisted by first-team coach Eric Black.

You could almost envisage Spurs, Levy and Poch in place of Wigan, Whelan and Rosler in this article :pochwtf:

Ok, so there would appear to be a pattern here:

First Adebayor:
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29990739
Then Vertonghen:
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/vertonghen-pochs-approach-will-come-good
And now, Lloris:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-slump-form-blasts-comfortable-teammates.html

...have all said the same thing. The players are the issue. They feel the tactics will work, but it will take time, and the players need to start listening. I wonder who that's being aimed at?

I also have to wonder how many will exit in January. We're a mess right now because the system Pochettino used to good effect at Espanyol and Soton cannot be implemented with the players we have. It's going to be a rough ride making it to January. Hopefully Walker will be able to solve some of our RB issues, meaning Dier could partner Vertonghen, or Fazio if he can put all the pieces together.

Everyone keeps going on about Dier Fazio and Jan at CB but Kaboul is our captain, he is going to start every match he is available for.

I'm not sure because Dawson never started every game even when fully fit

You have a point though as the difference here is he has been appointed captain only a couple of months ago

With that said the captain figure is more a figurehead now, PR, childrens hospitals more than anything, we wouldnt be the first team in history to not play their captain thats for sure

Woolwich's captain was on the bench for most of the season. There is no reason for Kaboul to start simply due to an arm band.
The problem is that Kaboul is the brand new captain, selected by the brand new manager. So, I would think it's a matter of pride for Pochettino to show everyone his decision will eventually look like the right one. A major fuck up imv. Lloris would have been a choice without much risk involved.

The problem is that Kaboul is the brand new captain, selected by the brand new manager. So, I would think it's a matter of pride for Pochettino to show everyone his decision will eventually look like the right one. A major fuck up imv. Lloris would have been a choice without much risk involved.
I really don't see the captaincy as being that much of a deal. I think we're giving it much more significance than it has.

If Kaboul starts against Hull, I'll be seriously disappointed. Apart from Woolwich he's been shocking, and I'm a big fan of his. He doesn't deserve a start against Hull. Tell him to feign a tweak or a pull if it makes the media talk easier for Poch. Give the armband to Hugo.

Dier-Fazio-Verts-Rose. Done.

Long term, I'm not convinced

It seems foolish to me to plough on with a system which isn't working, which they've had the whole of pre-season to figure out; why make it so complicated?

I don't doubt part of the players' confusion is down to all the managerial changes. It can't be easy changing your way of playing just like that, although there appears a certain lack of effort too

He's bringing Mitchell over, which is a sign of intended longevity and if Levy didn't infiltrate football matters looking for investments at the cost of finding the right player, I dare say we'd be a lot happier

Time will tell but there's been too much chopping and changing imo, and on that basis, no question as to removing him any time soon for me

I really don't see the captaincy as being that much of a deal. I think we're giving it much more significance than it has.
Does it not set the standard for the other players? Poch may have been better not appointing one straight away and trying several. Kaboul isn't the most skilled, fair enough, but he's been ducking crosses and shying away! At this point, as it seems we've a complete lack of character, I'd look to make an outside appointment. Someone who'll teach others, set an example, train brilliantly, put in maximum effort...

Captains intimidate, motivate, communicate, lead by example, set the team straight. All great sides tend to have a great captain.

Kaboul does none of the above. Watching him duck under crosses is actually embarrassing. Not only does he not have the mental capacity to be a leader but he's just a bad player.

If Poch has balls he'll drop Kaboul like Wenger dropped Vermaelen

Shamefully, he seems to be stubborn, like every other manager. We're still playing 4-2-3-1, for example. Kaboul plays almost every game, I can't see him being dropped.

I think because Kaboul doesn't have international duty Poch sees him more and thinks he can maybe train/improve him. He can't though..

Does it not set the standard for the other players? Poch may have been better not appointing one straight away and trying several. Kaboul isn't the most skilled, fair enough, but he's been ducking crosses and shying away! At this point, as it seems we've a complete lack of character, I'd look to make an outside appointment. Someone who'll teach others, set an example, train brilliantly, put in maximum effort...
I don't know why you need an arm band for that. I've seen elsewhere that English football culture puts much more emphasis on the captaincy than elsewhere. It could be that Poche just picked the people with the largest dressing room cliques as captain/vice-captain, as if he relied on player advice, that's what it'd wind up as.

As he makes the changes he wants to the team, he'll make different choices, but for now there's little point in upsetting anyone by changing labels. Especially if he doesn't really care about them.

I've said exactly the same thing.
After Daws left Poch could have said he was awarding the armband on a match to match basis until he'd been around long enough to know who his permanent captain should be.
Instead of being lumbered with Kaboul having to start every game now.
Madness putting it to a player vote, if Brad had been voted captain Hugo would have been sitting on the fucking bench all season !

You'd have thought that a guy who played centre back would be able get a defence organised? Even our bunch of retards

I've been wondering this myself lately. I thought defence would be the first thing he'd sort out. Kaboul and Fazio switched sides against Stoke at half time!

I'm still optimistic though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom