Man United away

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Could be worse. Could be losing at home to Watford...

Nah kidding. We are shit losing away at Man Utd.

They didn't have a single shot on target when Bentaleb was on the pitch. This is United at HOME.

The pileon is unwarranted.

He gave the ball away at least 4 times before they eventually took advantage and scored. I'm a big Bentaleb fan and I'm sure he'll be great again this season, but today he was sloppy and to be honest, a bit of a liability.

Losing at OT on the first day of the season is far from the end of the world. If anything this shows Levy we really need another striker to change things a bit when the attack is not working. Overall the defense was solid, we just got unlucky with Kyle's OG. Poch subs were spot on but it's clear we still need more options.

If anything I think we will only improve from here.

I think Levy will look at a 1-0 loss to United as a good result.

Levy has no footballing brain...

The problem with our team for quite a while now has been the management from the top down. A lot of people point to penny pinching, being trigger happy with managers etc, but that's not it.

What we're seeing with Spurs is an identity crisis. In other words we're trying to go in too many directions at once.

Levy has his penny pinching style which is fine, but his real contribution over the last 4-5 seasons has been that he's trying to get the team to have a 'style' again. The thing is Levy has no footballing brain and we see time and time again he keeps opting for skill and potential (also plays in to re-sale value). As we've seen though, take Lamela as an example... Who has lots of skill and lots of potential, it doesn't translate to a good player. Lamela would light up La Liga I'm sure, but he's not suited to the EPL.

Then we've had a succession of managers with their own ideas, their own philosophies which have to also work around what Levy wants...

You can't have a team which is trying to pursue exciting players, for little to no investment that brings in the majority of their squad players from the youth system who all buy into a high pressing, play for the team mentality.

There's a lot of positives for sure, our young players for the most part look great, they've done a good job of removing deadwood and mercenary players with their own agendas. However, when it comes down to it you still have Levy. He wants what he wants, the manager wants what he wants. Then we wonder why we're so 'Spursy'.

We're Spursy because there's no unified goal that's shared from the top down.

My worry for this year more than anything is that Levy gives Poch the boot when we're sat around 7th near the end of the year. But the way our team is being built and run right now, we can't expect much more for a few seasons. I'm not being a melt, just being realistic about what our expectations should be.

I think there are some massive positives though and that being that in a few seasons time if our youth players turn out to get better and better, if we hang on to our talent and if we keep one manager that we can be realistic challengers for a top 4 place again.

The reason we can't expect to challenge for 4th this season is because, as I said there's an identity crisis that originates in us attempting to move in too many directions at once. This is all of course just my humble opinion.

I think Levy will look at a 1-0 loss to United as a good result.

Levy has no footballing brain...

The problem with our team for quite a while now has been the management from the top down. A lot of people point to penny pinching, being trigger happy with managers etc, but that's not it.

What we're seeing with Spurs is an identity crisis. In other words we're trying to go in too many directions at once.

Levy has his penny pinching style which is fine, but his real contribution over the last 4-5 seasons has been that he's trying to get the team to have a 'style' again. The thing is Levy has no footballing brain and we see time and time again he keeps opting for skill and potential (also plays in to re-sale value). As we've seen though, take Lamela as an example... Who has lots of skill and lots of potential, it doesn't translate to a good player. Lamela would light up La Liga I'm sure, but he's not suited to the EPL.

Then we've had a succession of managers with their own ideas, their own philosophies which have to also work around what Levy wants...

You can't have a team which is trying to pursue exciting players, for little to no investment that brings in the majority of their squad players from the youth system who also buy into a high pressing, play for the team mentality.

There's a lot of positives for sure, our young players for the most part look great, they've done a good job of removing deadwood and mercenary players with their own agendas. However, when it comes down to it you still have Levy. He wants what he wants, the manager wants what he wants. Then we wonder why we're so 'Spursy'.

We're Spursy because there's no unified goal that's shared from the top down.

My worry for this year more than anything is that Levy gives Poch the boot when we're sat around 7th near the end of the year. But the way our team is being built and run right now, we can't expect much more for a few seasons. I'm not being a melt, just being realistic about what our expectations should be.

I think there are some massive positives though and that being that in a few seasons time if our youth players turn out to get better and better, if we hang on to our talent and if we keep one manager that we can be realistic challengers for a top 4 place again.

The reason we can't expect to challenge for 4th this season is because, as I said there's an identity crisis that originates in us attempting to move in too many directions at once. This is all of course just my humble opinion.

IT'S THE FIRST FUCKING GAME OF THE SEASON!!!!!!!

IT'S THE FIRST FUCKING GAME OF THE SEASON!!!!!!!
Yeah it is. I'm talking about the past 4-5 seasons since 2009/2010 where we had a chance to push on. Instead of picking a single goal and sticking with it we've seen Levy try to get us moving in a bunch of directions at once. I'm not talking about the result today jesus christ.

Yeah it is. I'm talking about the past 4-5 seasons since 2009/2010 where we had a chance to push on. Instead of picking a single goal and sticking with it we've seen Levy try to get us moving in a bunch of directions at once. I'm not talking about the result today jesus christ.

You're going into meltdown mode because we lost.

Would you be posting this if we won today?

No, didn't think so.

You're going into meltdown mode because we lost.

Would you be posting this if we won today?

No, didn't think so.
Actually yeah I would. Maybe not in this thread, but I've not had the chance to be on here for quite some time. Even if we had won my point would still stand.

Forgot how incapable certain people are on this forum of understanding context. I should have known better and posted a standalone thread, most importantly not on match day. rofl...

I think we tried to play a bit too much football near our own goal, which showed a bit of lack of experience in midfield.

Nabil will learn fast and he will be just fine, Dier was much better than I expected. If Carrick had swapped sides with either of them we would have won.

[QUOTE="Wikipedia Brown, post: 839115, member: 3952"

Going off that, our ability to play out of the back today under pressure was a real positive. Jan/Toby/Vorm did well to retain possession for us through our best periods. I wonder how much that'll change with Lloris back, as his distribution isn't the greatest.[/QUOTE]

Not sure I agree with that. We played fuck around with the ball a little to much for my taste. Nearly cost us several times, may be even the MU score. I like controlled possession out of the back, but it looked like we were forcing that tactic. You have to pick your spots. Clear it to Harry, he's does well holding off the defender and bringing down the high ball.

Overall I think we out played them less the period right after the OG. Too many missed chances cost us in the end

I hope those who cunt Mason off noticed how better we looked when he came on.

Today was the day when Nabil was freed up with a DM. Yet it didn't quite happen.
Why people expect Nabil to score and create goals if a DM unshackles him is so simplistic and based on one decent showing at Newcastle really.
Nabil is a decent player. With a decent left foot shot. A bright prospect. However, he's never really been consistent in his goal scoring or that prolific, yet.

In fact Mason was top scorer in 2008/9 29 goals in 31 games for U21's age 15/16 whereas Nabil got 4 in 14 in 12/13 age 16/17.

I hope people don't expect too much from Nabil and Kane. They, like Mason, are still learning the PL.
We are quick to trash players that do a consistent good job, whilst we build up others only to trash them when they don't meet expectations.

Really? I thought, when the gameplan favored him, he did well. United press intensely-- some of our best attacks came when he was able to hold onto the ball under pressure and find Eriksen/Kane early on in the game. After they went up the game changed a bit and we needed someone a little less ponderous, but he was okay before that I thought.

Going off that, our ability to play out of the back today under pressure was a real positive. Jan/Toby/Vorm did well to retain possession for us through our best periods. I wonder how much that'll change with Lloris back, as his distribution isn't the greatest.
Perhaps I'm being a little harsh on dembele. I just felt that both him and Chadli should have done more to offer an out let during the first half when we were having to play it around the back 4...which I agree we did very well.

Early on, not happy with the result nor should anyone but there are certainly things to be optimistic about. We definitely deserved a point for the effort and aside from some minor lapses we outclassed Man U most of the game. I think the headline from the match was a overhyped Man U squad escaping embarrassment against a hungry young Spurs.

The Good: Toby, Vert & Davies

The Solid: Kane, Erikson & Dier (surprised for playing in DM, still not sold on this position for him)

The they were there (meh): Vorm, Lamela, Mason & Alli

The Uninspired: Dembele & Chadli (a continuing issue, Chadli deserves minutes based on his finishing but he should be a rotational player at best. Dembele is a totally different issue, with the exception of being strong on the ball and being Belgian I see no upside of him being in our side. He lacks creativity, passing and pace, also hasn't showed a lot of finishing not sure why Poch keeps throwing him up the pitch. Hopefully a winger/striker will be brought in soon to add some creativity and some pace to the final third.)

The Poor: Bentalib (Unfortunate, but I think he'll rebound. He's a very smooth and controlled player but he let overconfidence sneak into his passing today and he paid for it.)

The Solid/Poor: Walker (Not sure he's completely a victim on his own goal, but other than that solid as a rock defensively.)

Were young but talented, I think if were able to close the window with some solid attacking signings along with a possible DM we'll be set. COYS!

First game. Away at a certain top 4 club. Lost 1-0. They had one shot on target. And didn't score from it.

People melting and pulling our season apart already.

Simply mind-boggling.

Have to say, our defence looked generally very solid. Just got to cancel out the stupid misplacing of passes, because it always leads to us conceding. Besides that its clear to see a solid DM and Winger/Striker are needed. But look at United's team ffs! They have spent £80m and started with Carrick and Schneiderlin in CM. Dier and Bentaleb have so little experience compared to them. I think we actually played pretty well. Onwards and Upwards

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom