Man United away

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I liked the idea of the shape. Basically a back three with Dier dropping in. Match told us what we knew already, Audi Cup physically hurt us, need pace, need CDM, winger, forward.

Chadli flopped and Eriksen needs to do more for his ability. Defo positives...just frustrating we lost.

Just watched Leicester vs Sunderland. Vardy showed what we are missing atm - speed. I'm saying Vardy for THFc just saying pace on the wing was very effective.
It's what the game is about nowadays and we have none! It's the managers choice to have it like this so best we get used to it for another season of boring football.

Just watched Leicester vs Sunderland. Vardy showed what we are missing atm - speed. I'm saying Vardy for THFc just saying pace on the wing was very effective.

It's what the game is about nowadays and we have none! It's the managers choice to have it like this so best we get used to it for another season of boring football.

Walker's pretty fast.... and not our only choice at RB any more... why not push him up the field (a la Bale) into an out-and-out winger's role...?
...then, this time 3 years down the line, Real Madrid will come sniffing around with £85m at our rejuvenated, re-invented Welsh Yorkshire Winger!

Last edited:
Haven't read through 30 odd pages so some of this may have already been said:

I thought we did really well defensively considering the shambles that was last season. To let Man Utd have only one shot on target in 90 minutes says it all. This is a positive and hopefully we can continue to be this good at the back. Suspect it will improve with Lloris returning and Rose ahead of Davies (not that Davies did much wrong mind). Pissed about with the ball a little too much at the back and it was obviously a sloppy pass that cost us the result. Thought Walker really impressed defensively against Young, had him in his pocket. One or two daft moments where his concentration went but a much better showing from him for me. Toby and Jan done well together, Toby probably the better of the two on the day. Bentaleb was our worst player and Dier held his own in the middle, some cracking challenges in the first half.

Attacking wise it was obvious we are crying out for more, even if it is another option off the bench. Chadli disappointed a little, was careless and didn't make the most of his opportunities. Kane isolated and doubled up on but did a good enough job winning bits and pieces. Thought Mason did well when he came into it, always looked forward but the movement / options weren't always available. Main frustration is that we didn't get enough shots away to test Romero. Some good positions were wasted and had we gone in front when we dominated the first 20 minutes then I really think we could have got all 3 points.

Fans superb as always. When we do lose away sometimes we can go a bit quiet but the second half noise and after the final whistle, we were brilliant. Overall I don't think any of us expected a result, we played well enough to deserve one and with one or two additions hopefully we can address the limitations and push on this season. Didn't see anything from United to suggest they are going to be any better than last season but then again it is still early days. Hopefully they get a tough European group and struggle their way through to Christmas bedding in their new players.

Yesterday ( & a fair few times last season ) an individual mistake led to a goal. That happens. What needs to happen in reverse is individual skill leading to an equalizer and then a winner in addition to good team play. But we lack goals in our team & we can't seem to make up for the mistakes when they occur. Yesterday being a good example.

We don't seem to see our opposition gifting us that many as the pressure does not build up on them enough. This is tactical, we don't play high enough up the pitch and Where & when we do play high up, we tend to cramp the central areas & lack the creativity to find the gaps ( this is all a generalisation of course )

I can't pick off Bentalab for his mistake, but do feel that he needs telling to look up and pass, he did the same fuck up a few times last season, it must now stop !

I do find fault with Poch playing Dier at DM due to lack of numbers & I do question him as to why we lack an experienced creative midfielder, a second striker ( maybe a target man) And a cohesive plan B, all necessary when chasing a game, but all missing from our mix.

Nobody has finished their business yet, bar Liverpool & Watford.
Remember the PL kicked of a week earlier this year, but the transfer window didn't.
We have sold 7 players and brought in 3 since July 1st. Name me one club who has had to sell 7 players?
We still plan on selling at least 2 more imo and the window has 3 weeks left.
If this would have been a regular season there would still be a week to kick off.

Can you not understand that we need money with what's going on and won't be spending much. If we make money so what? As long as it is invested into the club.
I don't think Lewis and Co are living a life of luxury on the profits of us mate.
Have a read; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26365955
Liverpool spent more money than us last season, didn't finish above us. So did near enough everyone below us.
We are not on a par with the spending of the 4 above us mate. So, don't bring them into the equation Can you not understand that.
Woolwich did fairly well without spending too much since 2000. Why cannot we?
We have never been massive spenders, and we ain't going to spend money we have not got. Especially now. We have to pay our way, unlike Spam.

Anyway, we didn't wait until the last mutes in 13/14 or last year really. Fazio and Stambouli came in late because Saints would not let MS go, our Is choice CB Moreno broke his leg and the back up Mussachio had third party ownership problems.
It never stopped Spam, but it was a no no for us.
Careful pal, they'll be calling the common sense police on you soon

Back from Manchester after a round trip of 10 hours that should have been around half that... felt very weird that it was already the start of the football season again. OT always impresses me, even though I've been a few times recently. They're fans were actually quite good and made a decent noise for what must have been at least... 5 minutes? Then they were pretty quiet except for maybe 3-4 happy clapper moments throughout the whole game. Our support seemed pretty decent and genuinely played a part in lifting the team, especially in the second half when we were looking utterly clueless and exhausted. It was nice to get a decent acknowledgment from the players afterwards. OT is a friendly place to go nowadays. It's a bit like Fulham but on a much larger scale.

Overall, we had enough chances to score at least once, and they were lucky to win. Neither side impressed much (both looked tired and rusty) but we should take some confidence for more than matching them at their place. But it does piss me off that we are, as ever, far from 'ready' at the start of a season. Our squad remains light, the players were knackered, certain individuals (e.g. Bentaleb - poor guy had a 'mare) were so far off being sharp enough for competitive matches that it shows our pre-season circus to be just that. If we have another sh*t August that shafts us at the end of the season, well, I guess that's the way now. Maybe they should make all matches in August half price for fans... given that no teams seem properly ready yet?

Oh, and our home kit looks shit even in matches. Too much blue and red. We're not Crystal Palace...
Agree about it being a bit like Fulham on a large scale. It never fails to surprise me the amount of fans they have at home games that are from London, Asia etc. Performance wise I think it showed that we have moved on from our last game up there, though felt we should have brought on Alli earlier and taken more risks in the second half of the second half.

maida vale 75 maida vale 75 Great to meet you and your mate on the train home to Euston, it made for an enjoyable journey, especially after that Chelsea cunt got off at Stockport!

Haven't really read through this thread, but I can expect some off you have already slagged off Bentaleb. Yes, he was shit today. But have some patience, for god's sake. A good amount of fans voted him as the player of the season. The dude is 20 and had to work hard, offensively and defensively, as Eriksen and Chadli are both to lazy to work back. I've seriously want to see Pritch and N'Jie instead of them both.

Apart from that, this game wasn't unimportant. It doesn't matter if this would have been the first or the fifth match of the season. You can lose to the top teams away - aslong as we don't fuck up against Brom, Newcastle or Stoke at home. Those are the games we HAVE to win.

Quite agree. Had we beaten Stoke, Villa and West Brom at home we would have finished 4th. It is these games that constantly cost us Money League qualification.

Quite agree. Had we beaten Stoke, Villa and West Brom at home we would have finished 4th. It is these games that constantly cost us Money League qualification.
Wait a minute. None of those matches were during the transfer window though so that can't be the reason we didn't get Champions League football. All I've heard the past few weeks is that we miss out on Champions League football because we start slow in the league and don't get our business done early.

2014/2015: Opening 3 games, Won 2, lost 1 (To Liverpool, who had finished second the previous year)
2013/2014: Opening 3 games, Won 2, lost 1 (To Woolwich, in a North London Derby)

There could have been a point made to 2012/2013, which was three years ago but you could argue it was pretty hard to replace van der Vaart, Modric and Ledley King. We did start the season awfully slow though and it ended up resembling our play come the end of the season. The loss at home to Fulham gets all the blame though, criminal.

I've watched the goal over and over again.

You can't expect our central midfielders not to have their passes intercepted occasionally especially as Pochettino wants them to play high tempo. Bentaleb wouldn't have attempted that pass under AVB keep possession at all cost boringness. The pass looked worse on TV too with Davies off screen. It looked at first that Bentaleb was passing it to no one.

But should one bad pass cost a goal?
Unfortunately that's the danger when both full backs are under orders to push up when we are in possession and when Pochettino has the centre half's pushed up wide offering options.

Vertonghen couldn't stay with Ashley Young's pace. A better defender would have fouled him straight away but we never buy those type of cynical centre halfs.

Alderweireld made a decision to come across and leave Rooney ensuring the goal was inevitable. Walker could do nothing.

Ultimately this goal is inevitable playing the way we do under Pochettino. We are gonna concede like this occasionally when we are pressed regardless of who we have in central midfield. It's up to Pochettino to set up the defence differently when we are in possession if he wants to stop it.

Last edited:
Thanks for that.

Bentaleb misplaced a pass, like he did against Real Madrid. Both cost us goals. It's unfortunate, but the defenders are in no way to blame for it. They weren't set up because they didn't expect such a dumbfounded pass.

Walker was out of position because he was about to attack down the right, fair play to him for getting back, unfortunate own goal in an otherwise solid game for him too.

We can't afford to give away possession in midfield like Bentaleb did. We can't afford to have players falling so far out of postion, giving Rooney 5 yards of space in front of goal and then making a last ditch effort that ends up as an own goals like Walker did.
Martinez commented about the topic on his post match interview after a recent game - if a team is scoring from the first chance they get or is waking through a defence it's not a lack of skill but rather a lack of concentration and allowing the 'occasion' of a game get to you.

I've watched it over and over again.

You can't expect our central midfielders not to have their passes intercepted occasionally especially as Pochettino wants them to play high tempo. Bentaleb wouldn't have attempted that pass under AVB keep possession at all cost boringness. The pass looked worse on TV too with Davies off screen. It looked at first that Bentaleb was passing it to no one.

But should one bad pass cost a goal?
Unfortunately that's the danger when both full backs are under orders to push up when we are in possession and when Pochettino has the centre half's pushed up wide offering options.

Vertonghen couldn't stay with Ashley Young's pace. A better defender would have fouled him straight away but we never buy those type of cynical centre halfs.

Alderweireld made a decision to come across and leave Rooney ensuring the goal was inevitable. Walker could do nothing.

Ultimately this goal is inevitable playing the way we do under Pochettino. We are gonna concede like this occasionally when we are pressed regardless of who we have in central midfield. It's up to Pochettino to set up the defence differently when we are in possession if he wants to stop it.

Alderweireld Coming across is what the CB must do when the full back is up field or out of position. He did nothing wrong and you're right, the way we set up we will get exposed a little sometimes but the pass wasn't necessary and I think that's why people are disappointed. Early days and time to improve (squad as well).

Alderweireld Coming across is what the CB must do when the full back is up field or out of position. He did nothing wrong and you're right, the way we set up we will get exposed a little sometimes but the pass wasn't necessary and I think that's why people are disappointed. Early days and time to improve (squad as well).

No pass is necessary. But Pochettino wants us to pass it at tempo. That's why Mason and Bentaleb became his first choice.

He could play Dembele who takes all day interviewing each player about his objectives before he passes it on. Capoue and Paulinho could have passed it sideways all day. That's not what Pochettino wanted.

Bentaleb will give the ball away on a bad day because of the way is encouraged to play under Pochettino. Dier passed it straight to a United player on the edge of our box after 2 minutes. No goal from it. No one remembers it.

We can't afford to give away possession in midfield like Bentaleb did. We can't afford to have players falling so far out of postion, giving Rooney 5 yards of space in front of goal and then making a last ditch effort that ends up as an own goals like Walker did.
Martinez commented about the topic on his post match interview after a recent game - if a team is scoring from the first chance they get or is waking through a defence it's not a lack of skill but rather a lack of concentration and allowing the 'occasion' of a game get to you.

Walker was out of position in a Mourinho team. However Pochettino wants our full backs to push forward when we have the ball. They are our only width.
Walker wasn't out of position. He was following instructions drilled into him all summer.

Back
Top Bottom