Louis Van Gaal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Winning the double was easier for us in 1961 too......should we belittle Bill Nic for that
I take back what I said the other day. You are sensationalist.

I have not belittled Harry, just put forward facts as to why in LvG's first 18 months it would be harder to achieve 4th than in 09-10.

I don't know if you're being intentionally dense, but for someone of your obvious intellect I shouldn't have to spell so much out to you.

That's not my point and you know it. The point is, being 4th best team that year was easier than being 4th best team currently.

Absolute rubbish, people were talking about us as title contenders in August.

"new managers at chelsea/city/united, woolwich not investing" etc.

I take back what I said the other day. You are sensationalist.

I have not belittled Harry, just put forward facts as to why in LvG's first 18 months it would be harder to achieve 4th than in 09-10.

I don't know if you're being intentionally dense, but for someone of your obvious intellect I shouldn't have to spell so much out to you.

You have belittled Harry, by saying his achievements were done with a stronger squad than we have today (utter bollocks) and by not taking into account that while the PL is tougher now, LvG is also a world class manager....

Try and stay on topic lad, its just a heated debate...no need to start with all the bullshit

Absolute rubbish, people were talking about us as title contenders in August.

"new managers at chelsea/city/united, woolwich not investing" etc.
Were they? I didn't see that. I saw people like David James predicting we'd come 6th and Paul Merson saying we had to many new players to compete. I wouldn't mind reading a link if you have one where someone argues our title credentials.

Would certainly be an interesting read. Are you saying it's easier/as easy to come 4th today as it was then?

Were they? I didn't see that. I saw people like David James predicting we'd come 6th and Paul Merson saying we had to many new players to compete. I wouldn't mind reading a link if you have one where someone argues our title credentials.

Would certainly be an interesting read. Are you saying it's easier/as easy to come 4th today as it was then?
Most places were pushing us as favorites for 3rd, really. They had the title as a battle between City and Chelsea, with United dropping off and fighting for 4th with Arse, and 'Pool nipping at their heels.

Try and stay on topic lad, its just a heated debate...no need to start with all the bullshit
Now there's your irony.

You have belittled Harry, by saying his achievements were done with a stronger squad than we have today (utter bollocks) and by not taking into account that while the PL is tougher now, LvG is also a world class manager....
I'm starting to think you don't know what some of the words you use mean. I have not suggested Harry didn't achieve something excellent just stating facts about the nature of each season. It's undeniable that City and Liverpool are far, far stronger now. Thus making this current season tougher than 09-10 and next season will be the same. By the looks of the table, Woolwich are stronger now too. United obviously aren't.

This isn't an agenda against Harry, I've seen you turn many a thread into a staunch defence of Harry.

It's simply arguing that things aren't as simple as you make them out to be and you should judge a manager including all the variables, rather than simply ''has he done what he did in the same time''.

Most places were pushing us as favorites for 3rd, really. They had the title as a battle between City and Chelsea, with United dropping off and fighting for 4th with Arse, and 'Pool nipping at their heels.

Yer, agreed. Most previews I read had us predicted between 3-6. Definitely not title challengers. If they were, that's laughable with a Jose Chelsea and Man City.

Now there's your irony.

I'm starting to think you don't know what some of the words you use mean. I have not suggested Harry didn't achieve something excellent just stating facts about the nature of each season. It's undeniable that City and Liverpool are far, far stronger now. Thus making this current season tougher than 09-10 and next season will be the same. By the looks of the table, Woolwich are stronger now too. United obviously aren't.

This isn't an agenda against Harry, I've seen you turn many a thread into a staunch defence of Harry.

It's simply arguing that things aren't as simple as you make them out to be and you should judge a manager including all the variables, rather than simply ''has he done what he did in the same time''.

Im starting to think that you are the uber defensive type, who do all the things you accuse others of...

Agenda's? Finger pointing and accusations, ignoring the posts you get called on.......and trying to act above it all while mixing your digs and insults in with your debating...

Still think we were stronger in 2008 by the way?

Im starting to think that you are the uber defensive type, who do all the things you accuse others of...

Agenda's? Finger pointing and accusations, ignoring the posts you get called on.......and trying to act above it all while mixing your digs and insults in with your debating...

Still think we were stronger in 2008 by the way?
Haha, you're not very self aware at all. You may think what you like about me, I'm not accusing others, I'm accusing you.

I've mentioned numerous times, explicitly, I was talking about the 09-10 season. See what I mean by dense?

And yes, I'd take a squad that achieved 4th above one that doesn't. Especially if it included Gareth Bale, Luka Modric, and Ledley King. Those 3 alone outweigh our squad newbies for me. Maybe controversial, but it is what I believe.

Please, if I've ignored a post 'I've been called on', bring them up again and I'll try to address them.

Yes. Our squad is much better.

[url]http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/gary-lineker-predicts-tottenham-will-finish-above-Woolwich-in-the-premier-league-8842049.html[/URL]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23001874

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/aug/16/premier-league-predictions-guardian-writers

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/predictions-mirror-writers-2013-14s-winners-1968100

Sorry to piss on your chips, mate. But I don't see any predictions in there for title challengers.

Fair enough, I can respect that. My personal view is the whether our squad is stronger or not, the teams around us are much, much tougher and negate and overwhelm any suggestion that our squad alone makes it easier.

Right it's 5pm on a Friday, no more internetz for me. Decent debate @ sammyspurs sammyspurs . Will try to address the inevitable posts where ''you called me up'' later. Enjoy your weekend.

Haha, you're not very self aware at all. You may think what you like about me, I'm not accusing others, I'm accusing you.

I've mentioned numerous times, explicitly, I was talking about the 09-10 season. See what I mean by dense?

And yes, I'd take a squad that achieved 4th above one that doesn't. Especially if it included Gareth Bale, Luka Modric, and Ledley King. Those 3 alone outweigh our squad newbies for me. Maybe controversial, but it is what I believe.

So....youd take the 09-10 squad because it got 4th and this squad hasnt....

Even though you also believe it was much easier to achieve 4th back then.

Who's dense you fucking tit.

So....youd take the 09-10 squad because it got 4th and this squad hasnt....

Even though you also believe it was much easier to achieve 4th back then.

Who's dense you fucking tit.
Your aggression brings me back. I thought you would pick up on that rather than the the Bale/King/Modric bit and jump on it like bitch in heat.

They're not mutually exclusive, a weaker squad can have better achievements and vice versa, that's where variables come in. I didn't say ''much easier'' (being sensationalist again). I said it was easier, I didn't quantify how much.

Now I'm really gone.

Not to break up the debate, but I've spent that time turning my GIF into a post world cup prediction:

6hvf.gif

Back
Top Bottom