Lewis Holtby

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just got back from the game. We were SHIT first half, kept the ball quite well, but created nothing with it. Very slow, lacked urgency and any penetration. Holtby was crap, let down by a very poor first touch and shocking passing. I am calling him out as you would expect him to be the star of the show, head and shoulder above the rest and I am afraid he was not.

Second half could not have been more different. We play a very high line at the back. We were very quick and pressed in all areas. Totally dominated possession, much of which was played a a very high tempo. Great movement throughout the team from deffensive, though to midfield and attack. Holtby, much improved too, but the whole team were better. So, was he a standout performer, a class above the rest? In short I don't think he was. If AVB was watching Holtby wouldn't make the bench based on this evening. A great goal he did score which was nice to see.

As for Wet Spam, they play in Big Sam's own image, very direct mostly long ball. They deserved to be in the lead as when they hoofed it up it put us under pressure at the back and from that they were more of a threat than us. In the second half I think they only attacked us 3 or 4 times. Their best chance comming from a fortuitous interception from Holtby's attempted pass that came off the ref.

@ Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 Couldn't exactly expect shock and awe after over two months out injured tho really, could we...

I am just commenting on what I saw, didn't factor anything else in, so you might be right. I have no idea the type of injury he is recovering from and where abouts he is in his rehab. For what it's worth he looked fit and mobile with no strapping, the only obvious sign was Kinesio tape on outside of knee.

Please bare in mind I am being harsh on him as I have higher expectations. For example, whenever I have seen Carroll play in U21 he has been fantastic, highly influential. In Holtby's deffence, in the first half there was such lack of movement from the team that Messi would have struggled to find a pass. But that said his performance was almost exactly the same as it has been when playing for the first team, with the exception of his debut. He hasn't exactly set the world on fire has he?

I hope when Holtby comes back into the first team he makes you all look like absolute mugs. You have no reason to get on his back based on half a season. This is Sandro all over again.

I hope when Holtby comes back into the first team he makes you all look like absolute mugs. You have no reason to get on his back based on half a season. This is Sandro all over again.

Was this in response to Guido's posts? If so I'm confused by your anger. He's not getting on anyone's back, he's giving us some interesting observations from a game he was at. Are we only allowed to gush and wank over players on here?

I agree that people are too quick to get on players' backs, and even more quick to do the same to the manager. But Guido's posts didn't deserve that.

I am not getting on his back, just giving my opinion on what I have seen from him. Nothing would be better than seeing him play at the level we have been told he can play at.

Was this in response to Guido's posts? If so I'm confused by your anger. He's not getting on anyone's back, he's giving us some interesting observations from a game he was at. Are we only allowed to gush and wank over players on here?

I agree that people are too quick to get on players' backs, and even more quick to do the same to the manager. But Guido's posts didn't deserve that.

Apologies. I was not referring to Guido's post, that was informative and insightful. I refer to these kind of posts:

I hear you. Rust or not, Holtby should be running the show against West Ham U21s.

and many before it.

He's coming back from a hip/knee injuries those are massively restricting injuries. Need look no further than to Dembele to see what hip injuries do to you, he's still not up to speed and he's had all pre-season, Holtby has not.

I was at the Norwich away game last year when Holtby came on. Totally changed the game and easily looked the best ball player on the park. You dont lose it over night - will take him time to get back in the groove.

Gif'd the goal for anyone interested.
iKpkeGRi2xzA6.gif

Back
Top Bottom