Lewis Holtby

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Personally, I think Holtby is a decent squad player. But since he's been dropped, we've taken 13pts from 15 and are unbeaten in the PL.

Not sure what we are going to miss really. He offers a good option, but would much rather stick with and develope Bentaleb, Lamela and Eriksen. Plus we have Dembele and Siggy.....either Holtby or Siggy could go, it doesnt bother me.

Holtby is "desperate to play", fair enough. Then its best to leave because with our midfield, he can only ever hope to be a sub. Cheers for the effort, good luck.

Last edited:
Personally, I think Holtby is a decent squad player. But since he's been dropped, we've taken 13pts from 15 and are unbeaten in the PL.
I'm not sure that the two have anything to do with each other. There were games where his play was one of the few bright spots for us.

Not sure what we are going to miss really. He offers a good option, but would much rather stick with and develope Bentaleb, Lamela and Eriksen. Plus we have Dembele and Siggy.....either Holtby or Siggy could go, it doesnt bother me.
I'd agree about the rest, but between Holtby and Bentaleb right now, I'd prefer Lewis. Bentaleb has put in some good time so far, but I think that at the moment Holtby could be a more direct impact on a game. He's more forward minded and attack orientated, I think, and offers an excitement and energy to the game that we have often needed.

Not having a go at you personally, but I find it amusing how a lot of people are in total denial about potential outgoings just because they haven't been tweeted by spursofficial yet. Say what you want about rumours, itk etc, but when you get reports from various sources and agents there's usually some truth to it. Very few transfers happen without any kind of warning. Personally I would be surprised if Holtby didn't leave after all this smoke.

Fair enough. It probably doesn't help that i have almost zero empathy with our players anymore.
To all intents & purposes they are merely employees these days.
They come & they go.

The only constant is the fans.

I'd agree about the rest, but between Holtby and Bentaleb right now, I'd prefer Lewis. Bentaleb has put in some good time so far, but I think that at the moment Holtby could be a more direct impact on a game. He's more forward minded and attack orientated, I think, and offers an excitement and energy to the game that we have often needed.

IMO, Bentaleb can grow into a starter in some years (from what Ive seen)

From what Ive seen of Holtby, he never will be a starter in the long term. Just a very good impact sub, who can fill in with injuries.

He had some excellent games for us as a sub.....but starting at the expense of Eriksen and Dembele?

Only AVB can answer that one

Last edited:
I love Holtby but if we get draxler in return people will soon forget about him.

Jan Aage Fjortoft (very reliable called ozil Lewa and gotze 100%) says Woolwich are clear faves to land him, he's had tour of their facilities whilst on international duty and is constant contact with Wenger and the other Germans there, says Bayern may try to step in this summer as Draxler is an exceptional 'local' talent but that Draxler would be reluctant to go to Bayern as it would make any future returns to Schalke (his boyhood club) impossible.

Jan Aage Fjortoft (very reliable called ozil Lewa and gotze 100%) says Woolwich are clear faves to land him, he's had tour of their facilities whilst on international duty and is constant contact with Wenger and the other Germans there, says Bayern may try to step in this summer as Draxler is an exceptional 'local' talent but that Draxler would be reluctant to go to Bayern as it would make any future returns to Schalke (his boyhood club) impossible.
God, for a minute I thought you meant Woolwich were faves to land Holtby

Holtby has talent and will grow into a top player. Betaleb is a good enough player but I don't see him having the same level of talent. They are totally different types of player as well. Selling Holtby now would be idiotic though, and in years to come we would regret it.

Fair enough. It probably doesn't help that i have almost zero empathy with our players anymore.
To all intents & purposes they are merely employees these days.
They come & they go.

The only constant is the fans.

Yeah, and even some of the fans are letting the club down at the mo!

Holtby has talent and will grow into a top player. Betaleb is a good enough player but I don't see him having the same level of talent. They are totally different types of player as well. Selling Holtby now would be idiotic though, and in years to come we would regret it.
Holtby is already 23. Who do you see him replacing, either at central midfield or further up the field, in the future? Bentaleb is four years younger and still has time to develop. Looks a big talent imo.

To be fair, he hasnt done much before or since joining us, and there is not a line of top teams, or even middle of the road teams queing up to sign him. Just his old club.

He's 23, not 17, and Im not sure what he has hiding in his locker, that we havent already seen.

We as a club might, but will levy give a shit once he's sold up and moved on...

He works for an investment company, they paid 1.5 million was it for holtby, if they can turn that into a nice profit 12 months later will they care?

Hard not to disagree with how the business side of the club regards how transfers are thought of...
profit = GOOD or loss = BAD! That's it.
Personal likes or players' potential ability or popularity with the crowd don't even enter into the equation.

I guess ultimately what we're all supporting week-in-week-out... is a business!

A bit torn about this, as I like Holtby, on the one hand, but acknowledge that we are jam packed in central midfield and that his playing time will be limited. In an ideal world, he would stay and fight for his place, but I doubt he'd want to.

Que sera Sera, but whatever Levy does, I hope he's not in a selling mood only but does something to tackle the gaps at left back, centre back and centre forward (someone to spell Ade).

There's a lot of 'Begging him to stay' on his FB page (not that I checked... much!)
No reply from LH himself... but then again, he's hardly gonna announce if he's staying or going with a Likey Smiley wink... or maybe he would!

One thing I never quite understand about players wanting to be guaranteed 1st team football...
you know when they sign for someone, they do realise that there are more than 11 players at the club they're joining, don't they?

Or are Schalke blindly stuttering around the Bundesliga with only 10 players at the moment, and they need that vital 11th to ensure they can put a team out???

Ignoring Bentaleb, with everyone fit, how many of you would have Holtby in your starting XI?

This is about him wanting to play.

Last edited:
There's a lot of 'Begging him to stay' on his FB page (not that I checked... much!)
No reply from LH himself... but then again, he's hardly gonna announce if he's staying or going with a Likey Smiley wink... or maybe he would!

One thing I never quite understand about players wanting to be guaranteed 1st team football...
you know when they sign for someone, they do realise that there are more than 11 players at the club they're joining, don't they?

Or are Schalke blindly stuttering around the Bundesliga with only 10 players at the moment, and they need that vital 11th to ensure they can put a team out???

Apparently they have someone called Jermaine Jones who wants to leave :mong:

Back
Top Bottom