Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I see we're linked with bringing in soithanpton's head of recruitment.

Seems to be yet another reactionary move by levy and the gang. Someone comes out and puts pressure on your scouting network and player choices, go out and headhunt a guy who is flavour of the month.

If they felt player and coach recruitment was an issue before then why wouldn't they have addressed it properly in the summer? And bringing back Broomfield is not what I would call seriously addressing the issue.

I see we're linked with bringing in soithanpton's head of recruitment.

Seems to be yet another reactionary move by levy and the gang. Someone comes out and puts pressure on your scouting network and player choices, go out and headhunt a guy who is flavour of the month.

If they felt player and coach recruitment was an issue before then why wouldn't they have addressed it properly in the summer? And bringing back Broomfield is not what I would call seriously addressing the issue.
If the head of recruitment at a club with scouts all over Europe and the UK comes to us and has to use that computer research shit instead of man power he will fail. Comolli might be a bitter bastard but I doubt he can just make up that we are under resourced. Plus there has been articles in the past that state us and Liverpool are using this 'moneyball' style scouting computer tool

I've never understood how people applied a concept like moneyball that worked in baseball, to a game like football where there are so many more variables going on in any given moment of a match.

Complete bullshit. And a terrible movie too!

I've never understood how people applied a concept like moneyball that worked in baseball, to a game like football where there are so many more variables going on in any given moment of a match.

Complete bullshit. And a terrible movie too!
US sports cannot be compared to world football. Salary caps & only 1 top league per sport make it a complete waste trying to mimmick what is going on there.

Disagree about it being a shit movie though :townhmm:

If the head of recruitment at a club with scouts all over Europe and the UK comes to us and has to use that computer research shit instead of man power he will fail. Comolli might be a bitter bastard but I doubt he can just make up that we are under resourced. Plus there has been articles in the past that state us and Liverpool are using this 'moneyball' style scouting computer tool
We're not alone in it though. A lot of UK clubs do it. Dortmund are also well known for it. But you have to combine the models with physical scouting. One is not a substitute for the other.

We're not alone in it though. A lot of UK clubs do it. Dortmund are also well known for it. But you have to combine the models with physical scouting. One is not a substitute for the other.
Who else use it in the UK?

I know us and Liverpool have been mentioned. Maybe others use it just as a starting point. But if one things for sure our current methods and Liverpool's aren't working.

Who else use it in the UK?

I know us and Liverpool have been mentioned. Maybe others use it just as a starting point. But if one things for sure our current methods and Liverpool's aren't working.
Everyone in the Premier League and Championship. Others as their budget allows. It's a matter of cost (Prozone's full data costs €5,000/year/league).

I think some people have been trying to short-cut matters by using data too much, without enough physical scouting to confirm the data's truth.

I don't like leveraged buyouts, but Man U's deal has actually worked out pretty damn well. Never mind the facts though, let's all just make ignorant comments!
Not terrible, but it's still sucking significant resources out of the team to service the debt. And we're working with much thinner margins than Utd...

Not terrible, but it's still sucking significant resources out of the team to service the debt. And we're working with much thinner margins than Utd...
Thinner margins than Utd, yes. But the team (Utd) isn't suffering because of them servicing their debt. Their debt remains high but not unmanageably so, and nobody could claim that United don't still have the resources to pursue any player that they like, and to pay those competitive wages, to boot.

Again, I don't like leveraged buyouts. If you can't afford something then I don't think you should buy it, but United isn't really a cautionary tale, that's all I'm getting at. I don't think it's an advisable course of action for Spurs, but United never imploded because of debt like some people assume. They've paid an enormous of that debt down and their finances are relatively healthy in comparison to most other Premier League teams.

Back
Top Bottom